This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
syfygirl's profile picture

Unix For Minecraft -- closed

Started by syfygirl, 04 June 2014 - 09:31 PM
syfygirl #1
Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:31 PM
Unix For Minecraft is a loosly unix based os. with a custom built shell.

it features a system updater to make sure you stay with current bug fixes and upgrades, just type 'update'

it is compatible with all computercraft computers even the pocket computers

[attachment=1716:UFM.jpg]

to download the installer type 'pastebin get YNr8R98B whatever you wanna name it' without the quotes

got an idea post it bellow

things to do:

merge update program with parcel to make 'parel update'
building optional gui
building project Framy a gui framework
Work on a coding language that compiles into lua code.

gui: 10%
framy: 5%
Scripting language 0%

Things that are done:
custom colors for shell, just say: text color (color here)
math function just say math <operation> EX: math 1 / 2: output 0.5

parcel, a package manager, just say: parcel install <package name to install> or parcel remove <package name to delete>

[url="http://]http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/19411-parcel-unix-for-minecraft"]more about parcel[/url]

remember to run the update command to get these new features

Developers of UFM:
syfyguy13

Want to help with ufm? Well now you can! Send your programs, snippets of code, ideas, and or cookies to me, just message them to my acount.

EDIT – ufm is closed. Working on a kernel now.
Edited on 11 January 2015 - 11:41 AM
Zee #2
Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:52 AM
Maybe, you could call it *puts sunglasses on* Minix. (I know that Minix is an OS IRL, I was just making a pun)
syfygirl #3
Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:38 AM
Lol good one, unix humor XD

What do you a scared kernel
viluon #4
Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:46 PM
I.. am… absolutely… amazed. Your kernel has 12 lines…… (3 of them completely useless)

(Sorry Lyqyd but)
There should be an OS section apart from this "OS" section..
SquidDev #5
Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:12 PM
I.. am… absolutely… amazed. Your kernel has 12 lines…… (3 of them completely useless)

(Sorry Lyqyd but)
There should be an OS section apart from this "OS" section..

This post pretty much sums up me feelings. I'm not insulting your creation syfyguy13 I'm just saying there should be a separate section called 'Startup Programs' or something, and then a section called 'Operating Systems' for Lyqyd OS and OneOS and, um… any others?

I'm sorry to any moderator or other person who is offended by my post but this is how I feel. I have strong feelings on this subject, no I don't know why either.
Edited on 06 June 2014 - 08:13 PM
viluon #6
Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:25 PM
At least I'm not the only one who thinks it's not a good idea to post this rubbish on the forums (again, sorry…)
syfygirl #7
Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:05 PM
i know, i was actually building a real kernel right now
ntnick #8
Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:46 AM
Maybe there dosen't have to be an actual GUI included with "Unix For Minecraft" (there needs to be an actual name for this, maybe Minenix)
It could be like Arch Linux, users can create their own DE for it.
syfygirl #9
Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:48 AM
Maybe there dosen't have to be an actual GUI included with "Unix For Minecraft" (there needs to be an actual name for this, maybe Minenix)
It could be like Arch Linux, users can create their own DE for it.

Sweet idea – Accepted
ntnick #10
Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:44 AM
I've made a program for this OS called pacdow. It's like pacman in Arch Linux, but the only switches are -S and -R.
Do you think you can add this in the OS programs folder?

Get it here:
pastebin get DTh73CsT pacdow

Usage:

pacdow <-S,-R> <package name>

-S downloads packages silently
-R downloads packages normally
Edited on 23 June 2014 - 02:43 PM
syfygirl #11
Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:35 AM
I've made a program for this OS called pacdow. It's like pacman in Arch Linux, but the only switches are -S and -R.
Do you think you can add this in the OS programs folder?

Get it here:
pastebin get DTh73CsT pacdow

Usage:

pacdow <-S,-R> <package name>

-S downloads packages silently
-R downloads packages normally

Sorry i havent been on my family and i moved :P/>

I will look at that and get back to you on that ntnick
syfygirl #12
Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:10 AM
excuse me ntnick, but the pastebin provided did not work
ntnick #13
Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:29 AM
Dang it.
I deleted the pacdow file on my main PC after I uploaded it to Pastebin, and this error…
I'll start making some other stuff.
syfygirl #14
Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:36 AM
Dang it.
I deleted the pacdow file on my main PC after I uploaded it to Pastebin, and this error…

alright
syfygirl #15
Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:16 AM
Dang it.

alright

i made a parcel (package) manager for UFM, just type update to get it.
ntnick #16
Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:10 AM
I've made rget 1.0, a program that is like wget.
Usage:
rget <link> <file>

Get it here:
pastebin get 77fbBMRC rget
syfygirl #17
Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:21 AM
I've made rget 1.0, a program that is like wget.
Usage:
rget <link> <file>

Get it here:
pastebin get 77fbBMRC rget

Looks good, but line 12. you don't need to/can't put \n (can't remember too tired)

Follow this guide to optimize it for parcel and email me the code at unixforminecraft@gmail.com or just post when you update the pastebin

Parcel guide
Edited on 28 June 2014 - 03:22 AM
syfygirl #18
Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:18 AM
sorta kinda working on a gui for ufm now, its optional so you can keep the shell if you want.
syfygirl #19
Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:27 PM
nobodys voting in any of the polls <_</>
puzzletime #20
Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:56 AM
I voted ;)/>

If you implement multitasking, I will be able to help you with a gui subsystem (of course if you need help :)/>)
syfygirl #21
Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:44 PM
i might be able to make a kernel, i just need to make a scheduler, and processes. :D/> although i am busy today i'm trying to make my own linux operating system irl :P/>.

UPDATE: sorta experimenting on a kernel

update!: stopped working on kernel after recent poll.

UFM progress may slow down a bit because i am working on another project: Fruity Linux (a real life operating system)
Mc Fow1er #22
Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:16 AM
You managed to hide the rom from the list program…How??
Gumball #23
Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:07 AM
Looks good! I have an OS im making, too! But anyways I have a command you should add :D/>
download and check it out: "pastebin get MpVBCrMb Publish"

I hope this could be added :)/>

-bluebird173
Gumball #24
Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:40 AM
Ive got a function you should add to your OS! :)/> Its real cool like and the function is ORIGINALLY made by me and for my OS, but I think you could use it too :)/>
"pastebin get MpVBCrMb Publish" and then run "Publish"
Saldor010 #25
Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:22 AM
Looks good! I have an OS im making, too! But anyways I have a command you should add :D/>
download and check it out: "pastebin get MpVBCrMb Publish"

I hope this could be added :)/>

-bluebird173

Ive got a function you should add to your OS! :)/> Its real cool like and the function is ORIGINALLY made by me and for my OS, but I think you could use it too :)/>
"pastebin get MpVBCrMb Publish" and then run "Publish"

.. It's just a fancy "pastebin put".
jaredallard #26
Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:51 PM
When you say this is "Unix" based, does it plan to follow the same structure as the Unix kernel? Might I adivse that the true Unix kernel isn't supported anymore and isn't the best idea to base work off of, I'd recommend basing of the Linux Kernel if you decide to do anything. Saw this thread because I actually have thee intent of programing a modular Linux kernel that follows the same guidlines and documentation (as closely as possible) as the original Linux Kernel.
syfygirl #27
Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:38 PM
right i'm sorry i had taken a sorta vacation from UFM and in that time i have decided to continue to develop the project and follow a new design pattern UFM will be shut down and i will create a multitasking kernel that is open source like linux called BlueShell, following the linux type principles with its own virtual filesystem.
Edited on 22 September 2014 - 06:41 PM
syfygirl #28
Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:44 PM
You managed to hide the rom from the list program…How??

amazing i didn't even realize XD
jaredallard #29
Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:57 PM
right i'm sorry i had taken a sorta vacation from UFM and in that time i have decided to continue to develop the project and follow a new design pattern UFM will be shut down and i will create a multitasking kernel that is open source like linux called BlueShell, following the linux type principles with its own virtual filesystem.

Shameless self advertising here, but you might want to contrib to http://github.com/ccLinux/kernel then :P/>
3dsboy08 #30
Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:18 PM
Erm…. Look at .usrs/<your_username_here> It gives the password to the computer…. No encryption on this OS :P/>
TheEvilSocks #31
Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:29 PM
You might need an encryption for the passwords, also, you should mask the password when entering it.
rdmGAMER #32
Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:18 PM
I voted. ;)/>

This is a really nice OS. Keep it up! :D/>
DannySMc #33
Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:04 AM
i know, i was actually building a real kernel right now

15, and making a real kernal? Wow.
syfygirl #34
Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:58 AM
I'm sorry i've stopped working on this project, i'm writing a video game. When i'm done with the other project i might continue/restart this.
Edited on 28 November 2014 - 03:06 AM
syfygirl #35
Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:05 AM
I'm sorry i've stopped working on this project, i'm writing a video game. When i'm done with the other project i might continue/restart this.

Nevermind i'm working on a kernel. I will make an official OS for the kernel though. A coroutine manager is already (mostly (95%)) built.
cdel #36
Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:48 AM
This is nice, but it is quite annoying how the password fields are in plain text. Frustrating when I'm playing on a multiplayer server.
syfygirl #37
Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:58 PM
This is nice, but it is quite annoying how the password fields are in plain text. Frustrating when I'm playing on a multiplayer server.

Yes it is, i'm writing a new os with a multitasking kernel. The passwords will be encrypted with sha-256 hashing.
DannySMc #38
Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

Yes it is, i'm writing a new os with a multitasking kernel. The passwords will be encrypted with sha-256 hashing.

He means when you type the password not how you store it.
syfygirl #39
Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:52 PM
oh that, well i'm also taking care that in the new os.