This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Geforce Fan's profile picture

[HTTP] Sapphari - Web Browser that uses HTTP! Supports tabs & Bookmarks!

Started by Geforce Fan, 12 June 2014 - 07:52 PM
Geforce Fan #1
Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:52 PM
Sapphari

Welcome to the internet.

So I know what your thinking "Oh, another glorified shell.run" or "Oh, another rednet browser". Well, Sapphari is different. Sapphari browses using http, meaning you see sites outside of just your rednet range. It does this without ever needing you to host a single file. Just upload your site to pastebin, and type in the PasteID, or, if you want people to get to your site more easily, just PM me what you want the address to be(do not include stuff like .com) and the PasteID, and I will add it to the online URLs list. Because Sapphari uses simple Lua and pastebin scripts, if there's a program on pastebin, you can visit its ID to run it. Another feature of Sapphari is tabs–you can make an unlimited amount of tabs for different sites. And for maximized performance, Sapphari will only run the tab your focussed on–which means Sapphari will not lag at all, even if you have hundreds of tabs open. On top of this, if you want to be able to easily get to a site, then you can just bookmark it and it will be saved to your bookmarks file that will not be overwritten when updating.

How to install

Just run: pastebin run hbqpmXBE then click "download". You can see my other projects as well by clicking the arrows; check 'em out!
Here's an executable, however it's missing the API and some other vital stuff. You can view the code with this link, though!

Screenshots:

On launch:(homepage is temporary)

On a game:
Edited on 03 July 2014 - 01:40 AM
Geforce Fan #2
Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:50 AM
really? no one has posted?
Blue #3
Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:05 AM
This is awesome!My favorite feature is the menu bar at the top.
Thegameboy #4
Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:16 PM
Honestly, for me, it breaks really easily. Sapphari locked up when 2048 was gameover, and I couldn't even terminate the program. Also, there really aren't enough websites for it, or useful websites for that matter.

I don't want to discourage you, because it's a neat concept. but it needs some work. Try to fix the bugs, and rethink how Sapphari could be used outside of a better pastebin.run.
wilcomega #5
Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:18 PM
true, if yo ucould make it work with google, that would be cool, but right now its not really much of use to me :/ sorry
Geforce Fan #6
Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:09 AM
Yeah, I know, it needs quite a few bug fixes
The issue is that there's so many things you need to give and limit to the sites to, and sometimes they conflict. However, in my experience, Sapphari does not lock up often. Try terminating, it gives you an option to go to homepage or completely kill Sapphari.
I will definitely make a search engine, it will be a lot like http://www.duckduckgo.com
Honestly, for me, it breaks really easily. Sapphari locked up when 2048 was gameover, and I couldn't even terminate the program. Also, there really aren't enough websites for it, or useful websites for that matter.

I don't want to discourage you, because it's a neat concept. but it needs some work. Try to fix the bugs, and rethink how Sapphari could be used outside of a better pastebin.run.
I feel that, even though it certainly could be better, sapphari is quite a bit more than pastebin run. That's like saying your internet browser is just an html5 interpreter. Sapphari has human-readable URLs, tabs, bookmarks and (soon to be) file protection. Another thing is that people wouldn't make sites if there wasn't a browser; just like you wouldn't go into the console and type something like "html5 192.168.1.5:1525" to visit a website, let alone browse the web.

I might actually get a script hosted 24/7 for urls. This would allow the user to just put in the requested url, the pasteid, and their site would be on the list. Of course I'd have to track the IP used to enter the thing in(even though it kills me to do so:( I'd definitely delete them after verifying)to prevent spam, troll, and malicious sites(I'd manually remove them & ban the user, as well as give 20-day cool-downs for everybody)
But here's a big thing about Sapphari: everything you do could go online. No longer do you have to DL apps, you just visit their sites and have small amounts of cookies on your comp for save data. This could really open up computers with as limited space as CC's.
Edited on 30 June 2014 - 05:18 AM
Beeskee #7
Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:53 AM
I'm using this on 1.53, it breaks on pastebin run. If you want to be backwards compatible, and there is nothing else in the code which is incompatible except pastebin run, you may want to use get instead of run. You can cache programs on the disk this way too, rather than downloading them repeatedly. Useful for servers with limited resources.
Geforce Fan #8
Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:56 AM
…solution: update :D/>
yeah I need to get rid of that pastebin run… v1.1 it will happen. working on PokeCC right now. luckily there's only one pastebin run, and that's to fetch human readable URLs.
cacheing programs is a horrible idea–one of the biggest features of sapphari is so that you don't have to dl your programs and use up space.
Edited on 01 July 2014 - 02:59 AM
Geforce Fan #9
Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:54 PM
I made a new installer. This one has a shiny UI and does not rely on running pastebin. Pretty much all but maybe 15 lines are for the UI… you can also do pastebin run hbqpmXBE 1 update to install it without the fancy ui, but where's the fun in that? plus you won't see my other projects!

I don't even know what you're talking about with the lockup; I played 2048 on Sapphari on both computer and pocket computer and no matter what I do I am unable to make it lockup!
Edited on 01 July 2014 - 09:09 PM
Thegameboy #10
Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:30 AM

I feel that, even though it certainly could be better, sapphari is quite a bit more than pastebin run. That's like saying your internet browser is just an html5 interpreter. Sapphari has human-readable URLs, tabs, bookmarks and (soon to be) file protection. Another thing is that people wouldn't make sites if there wasn't a browser; just like you wouldn't go into the console and type something like "html5 192.168.1.5:1525" to visit a website, let alone browse the web.

I don't even know what you're talking about with the lockup; I played 2048 on Sapphari on both computer and pocket computer and no matter what I do I am unable to make it lockup!

Sorry for the very, very late reply.

I'm starting to doubt that 2048 locked up on me and it just wasn't some sort of misunderstanding, but that's beside the point. The point is that the only thing I see Sapphari doing is running programs made for CraftOS, hence the "better pastebin.run".
Beeskee #11
Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:21 AM
The only reason I even suggested 1.5x compatibility is because FTB and Tekkit are still on 1.58 :D/> (Edit: Apparently Monster is on 1.6x now.)

Yogscast pack is the only major one I see on 1.6x yet, along with a few others on ATLauncher.

I'm already rolling my own - I wish I could use ATLauncher and just pick and choose from a list of mods to build my pack, but oh well :)/>

I checked out Curse client too but half the mods I want are listed as "not in curse yet"

I saw this happening last time I checked out ComputerCraft too, most of the programs were for a version that wasn't in any modpacks yet, and none of the updated programs worked on the older version, even if there had been a compatible version a few updates ago - and not helped by crash-prone feature detection either lol - I'd love to see one of the common packaging tools support multiple versions and auto-detection of the ComputerCraft version to select the right program.
Edited on 07 July 2014 - 06:47 AM
Geforce Fan #12
Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

Sorry for the very, very late reply.

I'm starting to doubt that 2048 locked up on me and it just wasn't some sort of misunderstanding, but that's beside the point. The point is that the only thing I see Sapphari doing is running programs made for CraftOS, hence the "better pastebin.run".
so what you're suggesting is:
Step 1. Open sapphari in edit
Step 2. Hold delete for an hour
Step 3. Rewrite Sapphari

jokes aside, what you're suggesting–it's like taking a grilled cheese sandwhich, removing the cheese and then replacing it with ham and mayo. You're saying I completely change the purpose of the program, and basically make a new program. In my opinion, the very reason Sapphari works so well is that it's running plain Lua programs. As I've said before; this makes it easier to run your programs online and not have to download them. You know, FireWolf was just Lua programs over rednet; ultimately, no matter what I do, an internet browser simply interoperates a language with added features. Also as I've said before, you wouldn't go to your console and type html5 192.168.5.2:25568 to visit a website; you don't type pastebin run GasA25Sf1252sfgsFDSfggWDafs574 to run a website in CraftOS either.
Edited on 08 July 2014 - 01:42 AM
InDieTasten #13
Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:15 AM
I'm unable to test it, but does it include a history? If not, that's a feature request :P/>
Geforce Fan #14
Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:23 PM
Please check the times before posting in a topic. The last post was July 2014, and it's April 2015 now.
This project has been long abandon, and is no longer supported.

edit: I suppose I can see how you got here–probably through my signature. I'm sure this was an honest mistake, but try not to do this in the future.
I'll remove this from my signature, not sure why it's still there. Mostly because a lack of a finished project to replace it.
Edited on 03 April 2015 - 07:24 PM
InDieTasten #15
Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:25 PM
Sorry, I didn't check the times, but came here due to your signature ;)/> :P/>