This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Shnupbups's profile picture

Minecraft2D (Not CC) - V1.0.0.0 PR2 ALPHA - Now with a wiki!

Started by Shnupbups, 15 June 2014 - 02:10 AM
Shnupbups #1
Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:10 AM
Minecraft2D is just a game I've been working on for a while now privately, and I decided to post it here to see what people think. Right now it's in alpha, and a massive update is on the way.

Visit the wiki here!
Vote on the poll here!

Looking for texture and sound artists! PM or Reply if interested.

What's New?- We now have a wiki here!
- 1.0.0.0 PR2 Has Been Released!
- Looking for texture and sound artists! PM or Reply if interested.
- Vote on what comes next here!

Features:Infinite worlds!
Random worlds!
Saving!
Ores!
Blocks!
Stuff!
Animals!
More Stuff!
Splash Text!
A Main Menu!
Pain!
Pixels!
Maybe every so slightly ripped off art that I promise I'll replace in the future! (It's nothing illegal, the art that I took (which was only minor, like the player) was free for use)
Animals!
Water!
Things!
Biomes!
90+ FPS! (New Pre-Release)
Blood!
Sweat!
Tears!

Downloads:Download 0.9.2.2 Here! - Just a note, it says 'Happy 9th Birthday Annika' instead of the title because it was my little sister's birthday
Download 1.0.0.0 Pre-Release 2 - Here! (WARNING! UNSTABLE! (but also probably gets better FPS than any other version…))

Previous Versions:Newest to Oldest:

How to Play:Left Mouse - Destroy
Right Mouse - Use/Build/Interact
A - Move Left
D - Move Right
Q - Drop Item
Space - Jump
Shift - Sneak *
Ctrl - Sprint *
E - Inventory *
Scrollwheel, 1-9 Keys or Left/Right Arrows - Change Selected Slot
Up and Down Keys - Change Current Block/Item
ESC - Save and Quit
F11 - Fullscreen
F2 - Screenshot *
R - Regenerate World ^
Z - Quick Save ^
X - Quick Load ^
G - Spawn Zombie (BUGGY!) ^
Scrollwheel - Change Current Block/Item %

* New Pre-Release Only
^ Old Versions Only
% Really Old Versions Only (Pre-0.8.0.0)

Screenshot​s:
Top, Left to Right: Stone, Cobblestone, Stone Pickaxe, Stone Sword, Wooden Sword, Wooden Pickaxe, Oak Wood Planks, Oak Wood.
Below: The Ores and Minerals, Blocks, Pickaxes and Swords. Left to Right: Coal, Iron, Copper, Tin, Lead, Gold, Lapis Lazuli, Onyx, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Amber, Quartz, Kunzite, Amazonite, Amethyst, Jade.

Biomes, Random Worlds, Trees, Deserts etc.

Bugs and Notes:Bugs:
* Can jump multiple times whilst in water
* Can jump multiple times if pressed up against walls (wall jumping?)
* Sometimes items can replace other items (duplication glitch when changing slot)
* Some blocks don't snap perfectly to the grid for some reason
* Sometimes chunks don't generate close to spawn (don't worry, the void is bouncy)

Bugs in PR2 Only:
* Can't break item frames
* Can't break doors
* Can't break cake
* Can't break beds
* Can't pop balloons
* Animals don't like my rewritten block system

Notes:
* Crafting is not implemented
* The inventory is kinda crap
* The textures are probably not going to stay like that

Credit to RealTutsGML on YouTube for the base code! (However almost none of that is left now (and 90% of the game is entirely my code))
Visit him here.

Let me know what you think!
Edited on 30 June 2014 - 01:41 AM
Lignum #2
Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:24 PM
This is pretty neat. What did you write it in? I'm guessing C#, because of the long start up time and the exit dialog.
TheOddByte #3
Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:36 PM
Going to test it out right now( will have to use Mozilla to download it, Chrome seems to see it as a malicious file )
Edit: Just tried it, seems pretty cool but it's currently very buggy :P/>
Some bugs I foundDon't know if these are bugs or not, You might not have gotten to it yet :P/>
* You can't stack properly
* You can't craft

These seem more like bugs xP
* When walking right or left, then pressing E and then pressing escape the spritesheet animation seems to get stuck with the walking one
* It may show that you have 5 dirt blocks or whatever, but if you place it it uses the whole stack
Edited on 15 June 2014 - 11:48 AM
Lignum #4
Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:13 PM
* It may show that you have 5 dirt blocks or whatever, but if you place it it uses the whole stack
The numbers in the item bar are the slot numbers, not the stack size. I think you might be confusing the two.
TheOddByte #5
Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:23 PM
The numbers in the item bar are the slot numbers, not the stack size. I think you might be confusing the two.
Hmm? They decrease when dropping them with Q :P/>
spyman68 #6
Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:32 PM
Just so everyone is informed, he made this with a program called game maker, he followed tutorials by RealTutsGML. Just making sure RealTuts gets credit where needed.
Geforce Fan #7
Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:12 PM
So basically, he didn't make this in a real programming language.
Zambonie #8
Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:47 PM
The game is pretty neat.
Maybe the textures can be a little better, but otherwise its nice :)/>

Bug:
SpoilerWhen you are in 2-block-deep water, you can 'double jump. Sometimes even triple.
Shnupbups #9
Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:31 AM
This is pretty neat. What did you write it in? I'm guessing C#, because of the long start up time and the exit dialog.

The entire game is written in GML. And yes,
So basically, he didn't make this in a real programming language.
this means I DID make it in a programming language. Exactly 0% of the game was made with the drag and drop, unless you count my having to use the 'Execute Code' piece.

Just so everyone is informed, he made this with a program called game maker, he followed tutorials by RealTutsGML. Just making sure RealTuts gets credit where needed.
I did have built in credits which included him in 1.0.0.0, which I initially intended to be the first public release, however I must have forgotten to add the menu button :/ (But he is credited in one of the splashes)

Hmm? They decrease when dropping them with Q :P/>
I haven't finished the inventory yet XD

* You can't craft

These seem more like bugs xP
* When walking right or left, then pressing E and then pressing escape the spritesheet animation seems to get stuck with the walking one
I haven't done anything with crafting yet.
The sticky walking animation is a known bug, fixed in PR2
And, as I said, I haven't finished the inventory, stacking isn't finished.

The game is pretty neat.
Maybe the textures can be a little better, but otherwise its nice :)/>

Bug:
SpoilerWhen you are in 2-block-deep water, you can 'double jump. Sometimes even triple.
Thanks!
I'm not exactly the best texture artist, maybe someone here can make some new textures?

Bug has been known since water was first implemented, will hopefully be fixed for PR2.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Will add Known Bugs section to post now, and credit to RTGML.
Edited on 16 June 2014 - 06:32 AM
H4X0RZ #10
Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:40 PM
The screenshots look very nice!
Even if it's written for Windows it works like a charm using Wine ^^
spyman68 #11
Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:38 AM
Well, you aren't coding with a real language but you are coding, its a language called game maker language and he is actually coding it but he is using gamemaker to handle all his events. Game maker is just as good as coding your own game if you know how to use it.
Lignum #12
Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:23 AM
Well, you aren't coding with a real language but you are coding, its a language called game maker language and he is actually coding it but he is using gamemaker to handle all his events. Game maker is just as good as coding your own game if you know how to use it.
With Game Maker I can't confuse the player with things like Windows's speech bubble notifications, which is an essential element in my games.
amtra5 #13
Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:28 AM
Well what a coincidence. I'm also making a 2d version of MC in GML, but am no where near as far ahead as you are :P/>. Any chance of open sourcing this project? I'd like to see how you do the infinite worlds.
Shnupbups #14
Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:26 AM
The screenshots look very nice!
Even if it's written for Windows it works like a charm using Wine ^^
Sweet! Nice to know.

Well what a coincidence. I'm also making a 2d version of MC in GML, but am no where near as far ahead as you are :P/>. Any chance of open sourcing this project? I'd like to see how you do the infinite worlds.
As I've said, the base code was made by RealTutsGML, you can see his code on YouTube and it is very similar to the infinite generation code I currently use. (though I will have to change it to get rid of the chunks not spawning bug :/) Open source is something I've been considering, I'll most likely open source once 1.0.0.0 is complete.
Shnupbups #15
Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:46 AM
Vote on the poll on what I should add next!

Vote here!
Shnupbups #16
Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:06 AM
1.0.0.0 PR2 Has Been Released! Download it from the topic post.

Changelog:

Features -
* Stacking implemented properly (hopefully)
* Added String
* Added Wool (in 16 colours!)
* Added Obsidian and Block (no ore yet…)
* Added Aluminium, Block and Ore (Ore doesn't generate yet)
* Added Bronze and Block
* Added Silver, Block and Ore (Ore doesn't generate yet)
* Added Brick (item)
* Added Rubber
* Added Paper

Bug Fixes -
* Walking animation no longer plays when inventory has been opened

Notes -
* Still no crafting
* Inventory still sucks
* Textures still suck
* Still no sounds
* Still bugs
syfygirl #17
Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:42 AM
Looks interesting, never used game maker before but cool
Shnupbups #18
Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:03 AM
Sneak Peek
H4X0RZ #19
Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:36 PM
1.0.0.0 PR2 Has Been Released! Download it from the topic post.

Changelog:

Features -
* Stacking implemented properly (hopefully)
* Added String
* Added Wool (in 16 colours!)
* Added Obsidian and Block (no ore yet…)
* Added Aluminium, Block and Ore (Ore doesn't generate yet)
* Added Bronze and Block
* Added Silver, Block and Ore (Ore doesn't generate yet)
* Added Brick (item)
* Added Rubber
* Added Paper

Bug Fixes -
* Walking animation no longer plays when inventory has been opened

Notes -
* Still no crafting
* Inventory still sucks
* Textures still suck
* Still no sounds
* Still bugs
Games like this and Goat Sim need the bugs! they are an essential part of the game!
Shnupbups #20
Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:53 AM
Grass shouldn't glow, should it?
Sneak Peek
TheOddByte #21
Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:46 AM
Grass shouldn't glow, should it?
Sneak Peek
Uhmm.. I don't think so ( atleast not that bright :P/> ) IMO you the blocks shouldn't be all black at night, they should be a little lighter so you could tell a small difference between them.
Shnupbups #22
Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:36 AM
IMO you the blocks shouldn't be all black at night, they should be a little lighter so you could tell a small difference between them.

Expect for night to be lighter in the next PreRelease.

In the mean time, here's another
Sneak Peek or Two (Or Three...)
Crafting is a thing. (Crafting Tables also can be crafted, as well as sticks. In the crafting table you can craft wood pickaxes, stone pickaxes, furnaces and chests.)

All of the main materials.
Top row, left to right: Coal, Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald, Amber, Quartz, Kunzite, Iron, Tin, Gold, Copper, Lead, Lapis Lazuli, Onyx, Amazonite, Amethyst, Jade, Silver, Aluminium, Bronze, Obsidian.
Bottom row, left to right: Zinc, Brass, Steel, Electrum, Nickel, Cobalt, Uranium

Also, since taking that screenshot I've added Titanium. I have no idea why I love adding materials so much. Also, why are so many metals freaking grey?
(And now I'm adding Sulfur, Silicon and Magnesium)

EDIT:
Top Row, Left to Right: Coal, Iron, Copper, Tin, Lead, Gold, Lapis Lazuli, Onyx, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Amber, Quartz, Kunzite, Amazonite, Amethyst, Jade, Silver, Aluminium, Zinc, Nickel, Cobalt
Bottom Row, Left to Right: Obsidian, Uranium, Titanium, Sulfur, Silicon, Magnesium, Mercury, Platinum, Bronze, Brass, Steel, Electrum

Bronze, Brass, Steel and Electrum are Alloys, and as such do not have ores.
Edited on 29 June 2014 - 02:47 AM
LayZee #23
Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:28 PM
What is the intent of +10 different ores?
Xtansia #24
Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:17 PM
Also since when was obsidian an ore?
It's volcanic glass, ie formed when lava cools
Win7yes #25
Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:23 PM
More building materials?
Shnupbups #26
Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:05 AM
You will see, in time…

(In the end, they will all hopefully have different uses, such as radioactivity (uranium, plutonium and iridium), electricity producing and conveying (copper, gold, electrum, tin), lasers, clocks (quartz), etc. plus varying tiers of tools and armour)

But for now, they just provide more building materials, as Win7 said.

Also since when was obsidian an ore?
It's volcanic glass, ie formed when lava cools
I don't know, this isn't reality. It will eventually be created in a more realistic manner, but for now, I added an ore for simplicity.
Edited on 30 June 2014 - 09:25 AM
Shnupbups #27
Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:29 AM
I created a wiki the other day and made a couple of pages, but I would like some help documenting things! If you wish to, you can help!
The wiki is here!

In the meantime, I'm working on a Plugin API! Information about how to make plugins and what capabilities they will have is on the wiki. They will hopefully come around with 1.0.0.0 PR3, but may have to wait until PR4.

Unfortunately, PR3 is still quite a fair way away. I'm modularising the code a LOT in 1.0.0.0, and currently I'm moving pretty much every possible variable that I use into a lookup table, which will not only make for better code, but also will allow the Plugin API to be possible.

Anywho, time to get back to coding, I hope to have stage 1 of the lookup table done by the end of tomorrow, and stage 1 of the Plugin API done by the end of the week. Then I will revisit crafting, making it much better to code, then I will remake the entire inventory and GUI system, then I need to move all animals into one object, then I need to move fluids into a separate object to the blocks, then stage 2 of the lookup table and API…