This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
wilcomega's profile picture

Wireless modem frequency and more

Started by wilcomega, 17 June 2014 - 10:23 AM
wilcomega #1
Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:23 PM
if this has been suggested before, i am very sorry, but i feel like this topic is more indepth than any other on this particlar topic

idea 1

i am not an expert on radio data transmission but i do know that you can trade in quality for range if you increase the frequency.
that is the idea, you would be able to set the frequency in the modem peripheral and based on that it would calculate the range, but of course range comes with a cost, teh higher the frequency the higher the chance is the packet gets lossed or gets corrupted uppon receiving.

since i dont really know much of the topic, this could be a replacement for channels or channels could exists on frequenties. of course you would be able to open up on multiple frequenties.

idea 2
along with this idea comes the following, why not have AM and FM too, for short and long range transmission, this mode you would be able to set in the modem itself.

idea 3
also the range of modems on a computer would add up per added modem. for example if you have 3 modems that would be 381 x 3 = [size=4]1143 meters/blocks, thats atleast 1 kilometer now, if you had 6 for the maximum that would be 6 x 381 = [/size][size=4]2286 [/size]

[size=4]if this multiple modem range system will be used, its a fair sollution to the very very very very short range modems currently have. or come up with some other formula to calculate the new range[/size][size=4] [/size][size=4]

idea 4

the next idea is to implement cell phone towers for the really long range as described below.
there are several ways of doing it,
1. new block, wich i am not a fan of.
2. use the multiple modem system from idea 3
3. use iron blocks as antenna to increase range of any modems.
this last idea would look for any any iron blocks connected to each other for a maximum of 5 in a row. each block of iron adds 1000 to 10.000 range to any modems on the computer, this value may be changed by the devs of course.

if the multiple modem system from idea 3 is used, each modem would have to exponetiallyu increase the range, this means each modem multiplies the previous range by 2.
when this is used, 6 modems would result in a range of 12192 blocks/meters.

i came up with this idea when i thought of cell phone towers in real life, they have a maximum transmission range of about 21.7 miles or 34.92 KM. i started reading up on how it all works and came to the conslusion that it is not a good idea to have a new block that can transmit so far, but it would be better if you could choose your own frequency. by the way, 34 km is 34000 blocks, so thats how you still have cell phone connection if you leave the city that is over a few km is diameter.
Edited on 17 June 2014 - 10:39 AM
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:29 PM
1. no, implementing message loss/corruption would be a nightmare, for newbies and experts alike and since ComputerCraft is aimed at being simple, this just doesn't fit with the goal.
2. well again no, its just too complicated, just put your computers higher in the world.
3. well that makes no logical sense, your other two suggestions make real world sense, this one does not. in the real world if you put multiple devices in the same place it doesn't improve their signal (and or range), it just means you have lots of devices with signal.
Edited on 17 June 2014 - 10:32 AM
wilcomega #3
Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:38 PM
post updated with anotehr sugegstion
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:43 PM
I don't mind the idea of the multi-block structure, but again, I just really have to point out that you can increase the range in the config and/or put the computer higher up for more range, why isn't that good enough for you?

also please attempt to proof read your posts a little, the typos are strong with this one. :P/>
wilcomega #5
Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:52 PM
well in real life you dont have a config, is the way i look at it. i more like it when you are able to increase the range ingame instead of setting the limits in a config.
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:57 PM
i more like it when you are able to increase the range ingame
you can do that
put your computers higher in the world.
put the computer higher up for more range
wilcomega #7
Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:40 PM
381 meter in cc vs 34 km in real life, it just doesnt cut it
MKlegoman357 #8
Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:05 PM
Well, I don't know how about you, but I don't have bases every 30km in Minecraft.
wilcomega #9
Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:20 PM
Well, I don't know how about you, but I don't have bases every 30km in Minecraft.
its not about singleplayer, it about offering a mobile network service in servers with wide range, i dont want to setup a sattelite pabove evryones base and then having to build thons of relays, if its that way it would make it too expensive to offer such services
Edited on 17 June 2014 - 01:50 PM
Sebra #10
Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:40 PM
All your ideas here are bad.
At first remember Rednet is not an EM wave.
Packet loss/corruption is extremely unfriendly to most players.
If you prefer so much isolated bases, single play is better for you.
You are given ready to use retranslator program and still want it to be easier? You are lazy.
Better try to make yourself communication system you would like by your own brain.

Aside_note_no_hijack:
Would I need extreme range communication, I would prefer
1)modem to connect between worlds; (or even servers, but here quants seems should be able to help)
2)modem to connect by directed ray; (trade distance for ray width)
3)a way to setup retranslator to work in unloaded chunks;

I mean it should be something interesting to play with. Not something to annoy players.
Cranium #11
Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:54 PM
Oh, and on another note. Dan200 doesn't even read the polls. So yeah…
Win7yes #12
Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:22 AM
Why did you wrapped all your ideas into a code tag?