This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
aradjudge's profile picture

Factory City Contest

Started by aradjudge, 18 June 2014 - 11:59 PM
aradjudge #1
Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:59 AM
I had this idea to have a contest on my server. Have a couple of teams compete to build a factory that achieves a specific task. After a certain time limit the factories will be judged on some factors.

Judged on: (just some rough ideas)
Environmentally friendly
Creativity
Effectiveness
Ease of use
etc.

I was also thinking about charging to get into the contest. (super cheap) Then with money from contest help pay for server maybe a little which isn't expensive at all and actually make/buy a prize for the first place team.

This would be on a Tekkit 1.2.9e server. The specifics would have to be hashed out before the server was actually started.

I was wondering if there are very many of these ideas floating around. Also what do all of you think about something like this?
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:52 AM
That'd be MC 1.6.4 with CC 1.58, if this page is accurate. Though I suspect you'd be better off joining an existing server rather than trying to fund a new one solely for the competition.

You'd want to put a fair amount of thought into your victory criteria if prizes are involved, especially if they're of any real value. Then there's the matter of sabotage…

Not to be negative, but I think this may be more trouble than it's worth. I suppose it depends on how many people are interested in the idea in the first place.
aradjudge #3
Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:12 PM
That's why I was asking. The prizes would have to start out as really simple ones at first but could get better with time. Obviously as people see that it is not a jip. I was also asking here because I was hoping some people could help me think of a good way to grade the factories. I was thinking the grading could be very Minecraft related but also realistic in some ways for example. The factory being environmentally friendly. If you start quarry's to get your resources then you could possibly lose some points for that and so on a so forth.

I think also for a first time I would definitely have to get test group together to make sure everything works correctly. I have ideas for protection, possibly straight up world guard. Or as I plan to go with Towny. I think Towny would make it a little more fun because it would be another angle you would have to work around. Plus I could work in a War aspect into it. Maybe rival company's want to fight about something. They can hash it out and some can pay to stay out. I was thinking that could possibly be too much… but some might like it. I don't know, that's another reason why I am here asking about it. :D/>

Ya, I know it will be a lot of trouble but it depends on how I work it as to weather it will be worth it or not. Also all great things start out with a lot of work needing to be put into them. Just saying. I'm sure Markus Persson didn't just happen to stumble upon Minecraft and start making money. Neither did Scott Johnson just happen to find a podcast and take it over. They both worked really hard and made something out of it. I would like to make a name somewhere as well. This may not be it but what if it was? haha

I'm just here trying to see what people think. What people might want. Probably not the best forum but you never really know. Just thought i would ask.
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:56 PM
If there are only two teams, you've less got to worry about them sabotaging each other (as it'd be obvious where the blame lies), and more have to worry about them sabotaging themselves (… as it wouldn't be obvious where the blame lies). In my eyes the solution less involves "protection" and more involves "logging".
aradjudge #5
Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:46 PM
Ya, this is true. I guess I kind of just assumed that the teams would be groups of friends. In that sense I wouldn't have to worry about that so much… but I guess PUG would also be able to participate as well.
Geforce Fan #6
Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:44 AM
quickly everyone dl a mod that adds acids then make an acid factory then boil it and release it into the atmosphere!
xD