This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
KingofGamesYami's profile picture

Communication Ideas

Started by KingofGamesYami, 21 June 2014 - 04:05 PM
KingofGamesYami #1
Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:05 PM
I've tried to make these suggestions as valid as possible, in the hopes that they will be added. I know they may have been suggested before, but I'm going to support them anyway. I see some good ideas getting lost in threads of people explaining why things are too overpowered or not "computercraft themed".

antennaThe antenna would be a multiblock structure that is similar to a wireless modem, but get progressively stronger the taller it is. However, you could not communicate with wireless modems, and because they are multi-block turtles would not be able to equip them. I see this as a very valid option, and I'm sure many people would appreciate it, however it does need some limitations.

laserA laser would be a new peripheral, that would be extremely basic. Two settings: on and off. It could only point in one direction. It would be unaffected by distance (duh, it's a laser). It would generate a laser-fired event, and you could also check manually if laser is receiving. I see this being more secure then the rednet, but much harder to use because you have to basically send your message in binary. ( on off on off on off 101010 ).

scannerA scanner with built-in character recognition for scanning paper and books. Books would be recognized as a table {[1] = "page1stuff", [2] = "page2stuff",} and pages would give a multiline string. I realize this isn't really the most realistic feature, but it would be great for inter-dimensional communication, with mods such as enderstorage.
Edited on 21 June 2014 - 04:06 PM
Sebra #2
Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:18 PM
1.New multiblock peripheral with separate channel set for long range communications? I'm not against it but doubt Dan200 would want it.
2. New linear communication peripheral unaffected by distance? How much time you want to spend to check obstacles on that distance? Unloaded chunks too?
3. Oversuggested already. Use Floppy Disks, please ;)/>
apemanzilla #3
Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:59 PM
Wireless mining turtles <-> Computer running 'repeat' <-> Antenna

At least for me, for the antenna to be significant I'd need a very large normal range (>1000m) else I'd just use computers as repeaters.
Edited on 22 June 2014 - 02:01 PM
KingofGamesYami #4
Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:21 PM
I wouldn't put the range for a single block at 1000, maybe 750 though. And it stacks, so 6 blocks = 4500 which is greatly increased. Keep in mind that they will not be overly costly to craft, and of course you would not have to program anything for them.
ElvishJerricco #5
Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:27 AM
The thing with antennas is that we can already increase the range by putting the computer higher. Put one at the top of the map and that thing will reach huge distances. Plus with repeaters, I think it's good enough the way it is.
KingofGamesYami #6
Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:03 PM
The thing with antennas is that we can already increase the range by putting the computer higher. Put one at the top of the map and that thing will reach huge distances. Plus with repeaters, I think it's good enough the way it is.
'

My idea with antennas is that we don't have to put the computer higher, we can keep it low enough that we don't need to. With repeaters, you always have to chunk load, and on many servers chunkloading is a definite no-no. With enough antennas, you could get better than a computer on block 256.
electrodude512 #7
Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:35 PM
My idea with antennas is that we don't have to put the computer higher, we can keep it low enough that we don't need to.

What's wrong with placing computers up high? If you don't feel like building a 1x1 tower all the way there, have a turtle go up and place the computer for you, after installing a startup file on the computer to be a repeater and allow remote logins (so you don't have to go up there if you want to change something).
cptdeath58 #8
Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:13 PM
My idea with antennas is that we don't have to put the computer higher, we can keep it low enough that we don't need to.

What's wrong with placing computers up high? If you don't feel like building a 1x1 tower all the way there, have a turtle go up and place the computer for you, after installing a startup file on the computer to be a repeater and allow remote logins (so you don't have to go up there if you want to change something).

Dude, too be honest. unless you want to spend alot of time in programming and getting the blocks to build your noob tower up there (unless you got a skybase or you are in creative.)
not a lot of people like doing so especially if a creeper goes "Hello!" and blam, you got a destroyed tower with no way to get up there unless
you want to spend more blocks getting up there and/or reprogramming a turtle.

[EDIT] and every time you exit the world and come back in you got to activate the computer on top.

On topic:

1.I think this idea is great.

2.I kinda wonder if that is possible, due the fact that you may have unloaded chunks… you are gonna need a lot of world anchors (railcraft as I know of) or something to keep it loaded.

3.This was suggested already.
Edited on 23 June 2014 - 09:38 PM
Lyqyd #9
Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:33 PM
Computers that were running when the chunk unloads start up again when it reloads, except in certain versions with buggy boot behavior.
cptdeath58 #10
Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:36 PM
Computers that were running when the chunk unloads start up again when it reloads, except in certain versions with buggy boot behavior.
Oh, ok that negates the part:
[EDIT] and every time you exit the world and come back in you got to activate the computer on top.
But still, if I had a sky base then I would just build the computer and run it from my sky base, but I'm not building a huge tower…
Edited on 23 June 2014 - 09:38 PM
wilcomega #11
Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:24 PM
if it cant talk to regular modems, how is this usefull in the sense that this might be used for cellphone towers, i dont see a way of making an antenna on top of an item…..
Sebra #12
Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:18 PM
What if Beacon would be usable as an antenna? It is expensive and tall enough. Let it ensure maximum range between Beacon and normal modem, but unlimited range between two Beacons.
KingofGamesYami #13
Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:00 PM
if it cant talk to regular modems, how is this usefull in the sense that this might be used for cellphone towers, i dont see a way of making an antenna on top of an item…..
It's very useful. Here's the setup: Computer w/ antenna on top, and a wireless modem on the side. This covers, say, ~128 blocks. Then we have another computer, 256 blocks away, with the same setup. Neither modem can communicate with the other, but the antennas can. Dramattically reducing the amount of repeating computers you need. Alternatively, you could just have anyone that want's coverage in their base make another one, which repeats over a huge distance.

What if Beacon would be usable as an antenna? It is expensive and tall enough. Let it ensure maximum range between Beacon and normal modem, but unlimited range between two Beacons.
Well the idea here is the antenna is multi block, enabling the user to get bigger range the more expensive it is.
Sebra #14
Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:46 PM
Well the idea here is the antenna is multi block, enabling the user to get bigger range the more expensive it is.
Well, Beacon is multiblock, looks like antenna and so expensive, even unlimited range between them would not be overpowered.
Edited on 07 July 2014 - 12:47 PM
AlkamlBan #15
Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:52 PM
I really don't like the idea of multiblock :unsure:/> . I would prefer a single block that would instead be able to subject the "message" further away. Basically the same thing but instead of a multiblock structure a single block that the higher it gets the further its signal can travel! Also it could use somthing else instead of rednet, this way being able to do stuff modems can't eg. easy file-sharing (cause currently with modems its a pain in the…emm…you know…)
Sebra #16
Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:02 PM
…single block that the higher it gets the further its signal can travel!…
It is how it is now ;)/>
…currently with modems its a pain in the…
If only Dan200 would have will to fix that damned 8-bit bug in strings…
Cranium #17
Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:31 PM
…but instead of a multiblock structure a single block that the higher it gets the further its signal can travel…
You mean a wireless turtle?
AlkamlBan #18
Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:31 PM
…but instead of a multiblock structure a single block that the higher it gets the further its signal can travel…
You mean a wireless turtle?

No something like a wireless modem only it wouldn't need a computer right next to it but it still would be able to communicate with one that is on the ground
Cranium #19
Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:35 PM
That's literally what a wireless turtle can do. And it can move. You're suggesting something that has less features, and takes up only one block.
KingofGamesYami #20
Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:39 PM
Well, Beacon is multiblock, looks like antenna and so expensive, even unlimited range between them would not be overpowered.
Not in the way I mean though… I don't think it looks much like an antenna, since an antenna is a complex mash of wiring, and a beacon generates light, not radio waves.
Spoiler
Typically an antenna consists of an arrangement of metallic conductors (elements), electrically connected (often through a transmission line) to the receiver or transmitter.

Sebra #21
Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:09 PM
It is Minecraft, not reality ;)/>
1. Beacon is tall and linear. -> looks like antenna.
2. CC do not use electricity, only Redstone power -> no need for metals.
3. Beacon is "technomagic" -> perfect to combine with modem based on EnderPearl.
+ Beacon is multiblock supported by Minecraft itself -> no need for CC to mantain it.

side note: there was experiments to use laser beam as an antenna ;)/>
Edited on 09 July 2014 - 08:11 PM
KingofGamesYami #22
Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:00 AM
Minecraft does have it's limits.
1) No, it really doesn't.
2) Duh, thats why we need redstone in the recipes. it IS the conductor
3) Beacons are not technomagic… they generate a beam of light. The range of their powers does not extend farther than wireless modems. They are based on a magical item that drops from the corpse of a horrendous monster from an alternate dimension that somehow manages to generate different abilities based on the amount of expensive materials not available in the said dimension in a specific structure nearby. Also called a "nether star". The beam is also blocked by clear water, but will penetrate opaque lava &amp; solid glass. …need I continue?

side note: how could that possibly work? The idea of an antenna is that it broadcasts strong electromagnetic waves. A laser generates light radiation in a specific direction, instead of in "waves".
Lyqyd #23
Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:15 AM
I think I know what he is referring to. They're not using the laser as the antenna, they're using a laser in conjunction with an antenna to detect radio signals without thermal noise.

Also, I don't think you really understand lasers, since the light is in waves.
KingofGamesYami #24
Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:56 AM
I think I know what he is referring to. They're not using the laser as the antenna, they're using a laser in conjunction with an antenna to detect radio signals without thermal noise.

Also, I don't think you really understand lasers, since the light is in waves.
I meant lasers are directed, instead of just broadcasting.
AlkamlBan #25
Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:55 AM
Why can't it just be a block that when placed high emits further (not that it doesn't emmit far enough on its own) and is, maybe, connected through a cable with a computer (the cable is needed to "specify" which computer it will take orders from) and… thats it. I mean it is basically a sky-high wireless computer. The only difference is that you don't have to open him every time + it take commands directly from the computer it is connected
Sebra #26
Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:32 PM
Minecraft's limits are moder's imagination.
1. It really does (until you have arguments)
2. Redstone generate and conduct signal, metals are not. And wireless communication works on Ender Pearls now.
3. Beacons are special construction with magic ingredients and properties ->technomagic… They generate a beam (of not light). The range of their magical powers is low, but why not to allow it to empower wireless modems? Check full beam length to unlock full wireless abilities. …need I continue?

side note
SpoilerLocal ionization to allow air conductivity for EM waves. Did not hear about results though.
Edited on 10 July 2014 - 01:32 PM
KingofGamesYami #27
Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:38 PM
Why can't it just be a block that when placed high emits further (not that it doesn't emmit far enough on its own) and is, maybe, connected through a cable with a computer (the cable is needed to "specify" which computer it will take orders from) and… thats it. I mean it is basically a sky-high wireless computer. The only difference is that you don't have to open him every time + it take commands directly from the computer it is connected

We've already gone over this. That is a wireless turtle with a repeater program..

Minecraft's limits are moder's imagination.
1. It really does (until you have arguments)
2. Redstone generate and conduct signal, metals are not. And wireless communication works on Ender Pearls now.
3. Beacons are special construction with magic ingredients and properties ->technomagic… They generate a beam (of not light). The range of their magical powers is low, but why not to allow it to empower wireless modems? Check full beam length to unlock full wireless abilities. …need I continue?

side note
SpoilerLocal ionization to allow air conductivity for EM waves. Did not hear about results though.
2) Yes it works on ender pearls now… This makes sense, since ender pearls teleport. Ender "resonance" has been exploited by many mods, such as buildcraft, thermal expansion, open blocks, etc.
3) I'm saying that beacons do a lot UP, not SIDEWAYS. If we could put a satellite in space (literally, with a space mod), we could use a beacon to communicate with it. However, we are talking HORIZONTAL communications, so it makes no sense.
Wojbie #28
Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:33 PM
Sorry for going bit off-topic here.
3) I'm saying that beacons do a lot UP, not SIDEWAYS. If we could put a satellite in space (literally, with a space mod), we could use a beacon to communicate with it. However, we are talking HORIZONTAL communications, so it makes no sense.

You realize that long range radio (high frequency or shortwave) communication is basically based on bouncing signal off Ionosphere? Soo you can do a lot of UP to go SIDEWAYS :)/>
Spoiler

While i personally don't have opinion on this discussion i just wanted to point it out.
Edited on 10 July 2014 - 03:34 PM
KingofGamesYami #29
Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:09 PM
Sorry for going bit off-topic here.

You realize that long range radio (high frequency or shortwave) communication is basically based on bouncing signal off Ionosphere? Soo you can do a lot of UP to go SIDEWAYS :)/>
Spoiler

While i personally don't have opinion on this discussion i just wanted to point it out.

Cool. Too bad it reflects radio waves, not light waves (yes I still say the beam is light)
Sebra #30
Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:31 PM
Minecraft world is linear, so no need for reflections.
But wave emission is often perpendicular to conductor.

…The beam is also blocked by clear water, but will penetrate opaque lava &amp; solid glass. …
(yes I still say the beam is light)
… which cannot light anything.
It does not matter ;)/>
AlkamlBan #31
Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

We've already gone over this. That is a wireless turtle with a repeater program..

Yes but it can have some bonuses compared to the wireless turtle. For example due to the fact that it connects to only one computer it only gets commands from him compared to the turtle which you can remotelly hack. Not to mention that turtles can be hacked from up-close just right click do some magic and boom! You just destroyed someone else's communications. As easy as that
flaghacker #32
Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Yes but it can have some bonuses compared to the wireless turtle. For example due to the fact that it connects to only one computer it only gets commands from him compared to the turtle which you can remotelly hack. Not to mention that turtles can be hacked from up-close just right click do some magic and boom! You just destroyed someone else's communications. As easy as that

1) You could add security features to your repeater program, and remote hacking is impossible when strings are just send over rednet. The worse that can happen is someone else using your turtle for his communication too.
2) If you get close to the turtle/"repeater" block you can just break it anyway, no "hacking" required.
Edited on 10 July 2014 - 07:14 PM
AlkamlBan #33
Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

1) You could add security features to your repeater program, and remote hacking is impossible when strings are just send over rednet. The worse that can happen is someone else using your turtle for his communication too.
2) If you get close to the turtle/"repeater" block you can just break it anyway, no "hacking" required.

Yes but you want to do it with style :D/> .Plus if someone taps into your comms, he can trick you to thinking it is somebody else. All he has to do is use his imagination on what he can do. Giving you false data. All with the touch of some buttons!

Oh and something else. There is something called rednet.broadcast() which will send the message to everybody using a rednet.receive(). This way tapping into your comms instantly. And yes while it is true that you can defend the turtle using a protocol, I don't think most people would think of this because they are the only ones knowing the turtles ID. So…yeah… Plus even if the player eventually workes out he is hacked..it is too late! The hacker can pose as the person on the other side and may ask for the protocol. Which you, the unsuspecting player, will give away in an instant. So there you go! Not to mention that using this the hacker can send programs from his computer to another that is connected, which programm can easily give him access to anything in his computer. He is at the mercy of someone else WITHOUT KNOWING IT!!
Edited on 10 July 2014 - 11:06 PM
cptdeath58 #34
Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:58 PM
Minecraft world is linear, so no need for reflections.
But wave emission is often perpendicular to conductor.

…The beam is also blocked by clear water, but will penetrate opaque lava &amp; solid glass. …
(yes I still say the beam is light)
… which cannot light anything.
It does not matter ;)/>
Dude, It goes UP. It cannot reflect off the atmosphere because the world is LINEAR. Go get a laser pointer, get a mirror and point it STRAIGHT, that is
what will happen to the beam. it can't go left or right because the world is a big giant block( Unless you used a space mod of some sort to make it "round" )

It IS possible to actually bent light waves (I am also saying it is a beam a light) on all surfaces. It just scatters upon a rough surface. Now if it was flat (I literally mean flat) or was angled correctly, it can create a mirror. You can actually see this on the road, if you pay attention to the road, sometimes the light is bent correctly and you get a mirror. To actually get that to happen on the atmosphere for comms means you must have a perfect cloud going on and a heck of a light source.
Edited on 15 July 2014 - 08:59 PM
Lyqyd #35
Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:01 PM
This has gone on for far longer than was necessary.