This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Danny12328's profile picture

Wireless Remote

Started by Danny12328, 22 July 2014 - 05:12 AM
Danny12328 #1
Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:12 AM
I would like to suggest that a wireless remote be added to ComputerCraft. Allow me to explain. This allows you to have a small screen on the side of your screen so it won't be in the way so it can be used to wirelessly control things such as turtles without the problem of the screen being in the way (such as the pocket computer) and having the debilitating disadvantage of not being able to move around.
flaghacker #2
Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:25 PM
And how would you control it?
Alice #3
Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:21 AM
OpenPeripherals chat_command event and a lot of rednet.
Have fun programming it.
Saldor010 #4
Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:37 PM
You know, instead of this, you could make a wireless controller (or something of that sort) where an invisible GUI would translate keystrokes to rednet (via the controller), then control your turtle that way. You wouldn't be able to move while doing this, but I think it would be a better solution then having to chat the command every time.
Edited on 02 August 2014 - 05:38 PM
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:28 AM
You know, instead of this, you could make a wireless controller (or something of that sort) where an invisible GUI would translate keystrokes
You just described the Keyboard in MoarPeripherals </shameless plug>
Saldor010 #6
Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:42 AM
You know, instead of this, you could make a wireless controller (or something of that sort) where an invisible GUI would translate keystrokes
You just described the Keyboard in MoarPeripherals </shameless plug>

This would be an inventory item that would be hooked to the computer via Rednet
Sebra #7
Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:36 AM
Wireless Pocket Computer?
Saldor010 #8
Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:45 PM
Wireless Pocket Computer?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
Those annoying pocket computer GUI's take up the entire middle of your screen, you can't see a thing!

No, what I'm talking about is a keystroke controller with an INVISIBLE GUI, so you can actually see what you're controlling.
Alice #9
Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:43 PM
I don't see what's so bad about OpenPeripheral.
$$left -> left.
$$right -> right
$$<yourcommand> -> <turtleoperation
Ta-da?
Saldor010 #10
Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:30 PM
I don't see what's so bad about OpenPeripheral.
$$left -> left.
$$right -> right
$$<yourcommand> -> <turtleoperation
Ta-da?

This -
"$$left .. $$right .. $$up .. $$down .. $$attackleft .. $$attackleft .. $$attackleft"

Compared to this -
"A..D..UP (Arrow Key).. DOWN (Arrow Key).. Q.. Q.. Q"

Also, this would be in vanilla Computer Craft, so you and your server wouldn't have to download OpenPeripheral.

Also, doesn't everyone else on your server have to listen to you spam your turtle commands when you use the OpenPeripheral chat commands?
flaghacker #11
Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:17 PM
Also, doesn't everyone else on your server have to listen to you spam your turtle commands when you use the OpenPeripheral chat commands?

No, those messages aren't sent to other people.
theoriginalbit #12
Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:43 AM
This -
"$$left .. $$right .. $$up .. $$down .. $$attackleft .. $$attackleft .. $$attackleft"

Compared to this -
I'm just going to say it again… MoarPeripherals Keyboard… It fits perfectly to what you're saying, with the exception that you can't use it in your inventory, but I can make it inventory usable if that's really all that makes this 'not suitable' to your needs.
Saldor010 #13
Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:12 AM
This -

Compared to this -
I'm just going to say it again… MoarPeripherals Keyboard… It fits perfectly to what you're saying, with the exception that you can't use it in your inventory, but I can make it inventory usable if that's really all that makes this 'not suitable' to your needs.

That would be awesome if you could. I came up with an amazing idea for a gaming Operating System that would take advantage of a sort of controller. I've tried pressure plates and levers to make a "make shift" controller, but I failed horribly.
Sebra #14
Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:09 PM
This -

Compared to this -
You can make "Keyboard Part" to work as full keyboard but for Numpad keys only. So it will not interrupt movement even in the hands. Also make it placeable both horizontal and vertical.