This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Xfel's profile picture

The Massive Minecart Thread

Started by Xfel, 05 June 2012 - 11:15 AM
Xfel #1
Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:15 PM
[I've hijacked this thread and used it to contain all six or seven of the existing "please do something involving minecarts and computers" idea threads. Treat this similarly to the PDA thread. All discussion goes here. -L]

What about a minecart with a computer inside? It would be powered (like turtles) and could control it's direction/speed. It also would interact with the railcraft api and be able to link/unlink to other carts, look into their inventories and (though very optionally) be able to write a message that would be displayed to all passengers in the train. It would also have a wireless modem. What do you think?
xuma202 #2
Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:55 PM
Great idea. You would be able to make real Subway trains with this. I was thinking about creating a CCcontrolled Subway but this would need many Sensors. with a CCMinecarft you could even display delays.

EDIT: Why not with a note Block so they can sound the horn.
kazagistar #3
Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:37 PM
In terms of balance, it would remove the need for powered rails, which cost quite a bit on inclines. It also seems somewhat unneeded, since you can control trains with networked computercraft computers anyways.
xuma202 #4
Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:11 PM
In terms of balance, it would remove the need for powered rails, which cost quite a bit on inclines. It also seems somewhat unneeded, since you can control trains with networked computercraft computers anyways.

You could make the CCCartsslower than a boosted minecraft and when the CCCart moves over a powered rail it will get even faster. Or you can make it consuming power if maybe IC is installed.

Can't agree on that. It's very difficult to make a Cart stop and then start it info a specific direction without a Player pushing it. Because if it stands on a powered rail it will not move unless there is a block preventing it from moving into the other direction or it's already is moving (maybe slowly).
Xfel #5
Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:38 PM
You know, there is something called powered minecart. If you use them, you also do not need powered rails - here you are.
Cloudy #6
Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:49 PM
Neat idea. I'll speak to dan about it and see what he thinks.
kazagistar #7
Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:41 PM
You know, there is something called powered minecart. If you use them, you also do not need powered rails - here you are.
Powered minecarts cost resources to run. Turtles are slow, but they are free. It is a tradeoff.
xuma202 #8
Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:59 PM
A solar car also needs no resources. You can also make the Carts expensive. Or only driving on special tracks that are a less expensive than powered rails but more than normal ones. And if you think they are like cheating don't use them.
kazagistar #9
Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:49 PM
By all means go ahead. But in my mind they fulfill no use case: you can direct other kinds of carts for long distance travel using simple redstone logic, you can move around with precision using turtles, and you can transfer data faster via wireless.
Mendax #10
Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:07 AM
I think this is a cool idea, then again, anything to do with Minecarts seems like a good idea to me… Yeah… An awesome subway system, no need to add railcraft compatibility like you suggest, all carts from all mods link up. I used steve's carts carts with a regular minecart and a BC oil cart (Only reason I used BC was for the carts (LOL))

I have some ideas for an API anyway

cart.setSpeed( speed ) -- from -8 to 8 (Minus = backwards, normal = forwards)
cart.setDirection( direction ) --forward or backward
cart.checkInventory( cart , slot ) --cart - forward or backward, slot - 1 - 27
cart.moveItem( cart , slot ) -- cart - forward , backward or current (this cart), slot - 1 - 27
cart.checkFuel() --Checks fuel in chamber (Coal?)
cart.checkSpareFuel() --Checks fuel in fuel slot
All I could come up with for the API. Generally, cool idea. Oh yeah, RailCraftAPI for better item moving! I get it now! :3 ('Scuse me, I derped a bit there)
Leo Verto #11
Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:25 AM
We would need electrical engine carts, which can be linked to BatBox/MFE/MSU carts.

Maybe even different versions like low voltage (batbox, works on wooden and iron rails), medium voltage (mfe, iron rails only) and high voltage (mfsu, high speed rails).

If this was be implemented and added into tekkit, my server would be perfect!
Xfel #12
Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:56 AM
I thought about creating a generic "locomotive cart"-mod, which would also include carts running on buildcraft fuel&co. If there was one, the computer cart could pe used as a control unit, but would not be self-propelling.
xuma202 #13
Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:03 PM
I like those ideas but keep in mind that dan probably don't want to have CC relying on other mods.
BigSHinyToys #14
Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:16 PM
I like those ideas but keep in mind that dan probably don't want to have CC relying on other mods.
while that is technically true CC is almost useless with out Red Power 2
Xfel #15
Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:28 PM
Well I thought about it as a seperate mod, but with an integration module containing a computer.
kazagistar #16
Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:49 PM
Dunno, multiple wireless computers are often better then bundled cable, turtles are the best mining utility around, logic gates are far more bulky then a console with lua, and if you want to make a factory, buildcraft or whatever will do in a pinch. I use redpower, and it is somewhat handy, but mostly for the frames, which are awesome.
BigSHinyToys #17
Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:46 PM
Dunno, multiple wireless computers are often better then bundled cable, turtles are the best mining utility around, logic gates are far more bulky then a console with lua, and if you want to make a factory, buildcraft or whatever will do in a pinch. I use redpower, and it is somewhat handy, but mostly for the frames, which are awesome.
With out bundled cables it is a lot more difficult to wire up multiple Redstone activated devices to one computer. try to make a piston double door with out Red Power
Leo Verto #18
Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:52 PM
With out bundled cables it is a lot more difficult to wire up multiple Redstone activated devices to one computer. try to make a piston double door with out Red Power
A piston door without redpower… did you forget how to do that vanilla style? :(/>/>
kazagistar #19
Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:14 AM
A piston door without redpower… did you forget how to do that vanilla style? :(/>/>
Old school is fun. I just enjoy the coding. I like these videos though… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVK0cv-q0bE
Xfel #20
Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:21 AM
Ain't we getting a bit side-tracked here? This thread has originally been a suggestion for a computer-controlled minecart, remember?
xuma202 #21
Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:18 AM
Won't such a minecraft get a bit useless in MC version 1.3?

While sitting inside of a minecart pushing the directional keys will make it move the direction you are pressing. This will only work while the minecart is sitting on rails.
Minecraft Wiki
Cloudy #22
Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:49 AM
Maybe for player control, but it would still be nice to have an automated cart.
xuma202 #23
Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:32 PM
Yes you are right but this should be disabled for the Computer carts otherwise they might be problems when a cart thinks it on position XY but it has been driven to another place manually
NyanDog331 #24
Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:25 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if turtles (or computers, although that would be kinda silly considering that turtles seem like a better candidate due to being designed to place blocks) could be crafted on top of minecarts, placed down, coded up, and set up to send your minecart chest into an abandoned mineshaft to take resources out of the chests within (using the upcoming chest system), filling in tracks and gravel as it went? Having finally set up a train station on your server for your fellow computercraft players to be sent back to their neighborhood using a train station, while you eagerly observed as they rushed to the minecarts after a long mining trip or building job and relaxed as they sped away? Haven't you dreamed of having minecarts act like cars, with functioning traffic lights and maybe even some traffic on your server or single-player testificate-infested world? If you haven't, I don't blame you, I had to try really hard to conjure up some ideas to make this seem great :P But yeah, here's the idea: Computer Carts!

They wouldn't necessarily be an alternative to turtles, since they wouldn't be designed for breaking blocks and building structures, but they would be able to push other minecarts, put down tracks (and maybe blocks just for making paths over ravines or something), maybe transition to tracks next to it that aren't connected to the railroad it is on (or make them connect), be able to detect minecarts (maybe even with the ability to detect if there is something in them, or if they are a chest cart or furnace cart), or more cool stuff like that. They basically would be an alternative to the furnace carts. I don't know of anyone uses powered minecarts, since they either don't last long enough to get you there or last so long, they keep going back to where they came from and stop in the middle of the road. Powered tracks are rather expensive, too (but they are the only use of gold besides the 3 second golden apples, so I'm not sure what to tell you there :P).

So yep. Cool idea or what? (probably a common idea and is posted somewhere else, sorry if I stole some views from you xD)

Possible code terms (not sure what these are called, terribly sorry if I confuse you. I'm not familiar with coding terminology :l)

Cart.detect() – block or another cart specified through arguments, I guess.
Cart.place() – track, block or an actual cart if you so dare to do, but you are going to want to specify the slot that it has selected for placing or there is probably going to be a rail waterfall where it is trying to place the tracks :P (or not, since it would never happen due to how fast it would be fixed either in the computercraft code or the program itself .-.)
Cart.push() – maybe a toggle for whether it moves carts around or not.
Cart.forward() – what do you think it does :P but Cart.push() can be specified to be true or false, or have nothing to do with it. If it is not specified it will just shove the minecart out of the way, not caring where it ends up. If cart.push() is true then it will push the minecart, and if it is false, then it will yield to the minecart in its way, which could be useful for mining systems you may set up with computer carts going all over the place :P
Cart.back() same as cart.forward(), only going backwards.

You get the picture. Nothing added to the code arguments except the "cart." prefix and it having the possibility of having stuff to do with other carts, like shoving them around, using the cart.push() argument. So yeah, be sure to vote for a cool name for them, since I'm not feeling particularly creative in the poll today, so that this might one day be put in to the actual mod :) (I just hope to GOD it doesn't make CC require something new like forge or modloaderMP.)

TL;DR (Too Long DurR cause I don't have enough time to read more than 50 words): Computer carts, used to push carts around on tracks, need minecart and turtle to craft, need a cool name, would be cool if they were implemented into computercraft.
Noodle #25
Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:19 AM
Meh.. I like it, but I don't like it. Its more portable, but turtles are already portable.. It would be cool, but rails don't work that way. Rails work to where you have to redstone power them…
Xfel #26
Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:49 PM
I think there is an other thread with a similar suggestion. I like the idea, but it would only make real sense if used in conjunction with railcraft.
Noodle #27
Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:26 AM
^ Exactly, the rails don't work like that in normal MC but if someone could make the mod work with railcraft then it would be great!
ChunLing #28
Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:12 AM
I think that you can do most of this with a normal turtle if you're willing to be creative. Certainly turtles can lay track, and output power to activate powered rails so as to move carts that are on the track, and they can carry pistons, place them, activate them, and then pick them back up and move them somewhere else to use. That lets you push entities around on a track that the turtle has laid with powered segments at intervals. You just have to experiment with the existing abilities a bit more.

I mean, I'm not totally adverse to giving turtles new abilities (like letting the non-mining turtle be able to use items other than a pick), or to making it easier to do certain things that are a bit tricky at present (like making it so that a turtle could just act like a piston rather than having to place a piston and activate it). But I kinda have to view this suggestion as being of limited benefit for the amount of alteration required. I like the idea of smaller alterations with wider benefits.
Noodle #29
Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:40 AM
I think that you can do most of this with a normal turtle if you're willing to be creative. Certainly turtles can lay track, and output power to activate powered rails so as to move carts that are on the track, and they can carry pistons, place them, activate them, and then pick them back up and move them somewhere else to use. That lets you push entities around on a track that the turtle has laid with powered segments at intervals. You just have to experiment with the existing abilities a bit more.

You can but he wants it to be controllable by that turtle inside the cart able to push many carts infront of it. Like a train powered by a computer.
ChunLing #30
Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:45 AM
The problem is that for just pushing carts, there already are options even if they are unpopular/expensive. You can have turtles lay a track (and the necessary bed) already, you can have a computer control the switches and take input from detector rails and such, you can have a furnace cart push things around (or you can use the more expensive but permanent option of powered rails).

Without the track-control system in place (or built by a conventional turtle), the ability to simply push carts is no real advance over the existing furnace cart.

Though I do sometimes think that it would be nice if turtles could generally act more like entities and less like blocks (tiles). It is apparently necessary for them to be tiles in order to carry out the redstone functions, but I rarely use those with a turtle. But I think that changing the turtles to be entities rather than tiles would be a pretty major rework…enough that I don't want to suggest it even though I would be very happy if it were done without consulting me.
wilcomega #31
Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:48 AM
the suggestion:

please add computer minecarts, they would need fuel but depending on the type of of fuel the speed is set
they would also have a modem to request position. with this i could make an advanced rail system with a monitor that shows on a map where all the carts are
i would be able to click em with the clickable monitors suggestion( by me :P/>/> ) and then open a menu to do actions with the cart. like forward, stop, backward, posistion, explode ^_^/>/>

please leave a reply with what you think :D/>/>
ChunLing #32
Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:04 AM
Utterly useless, ordinary powered minecarts and detector rails can already do all of this, except for the exploding cart, and for that there's RailCraft. What is the fascination with an exploding cart anyway?
robhol #33
Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:11 AM
Detector rails can NOT do this. I have no idea if it's feasible, but I like the notion of a rednet-enabled cart.
ChunLing #34
Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:39 AM
Wait what? What don't detector rails do, detect carts or blow up?
immibis #35
Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:45 AM
Wait what? What don't detector rails do, detect carts or blow up?
They don't have rednet.

I can see uses for this, like sending a computer cart just in front of a passenger cart, with a computer at every junction.
ChunLing #36
Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:00 PM
You can connect a wireless computer to a detector rail. And you can control track junctions with a computer as well, the computer can handle both reporting trains arriving as well as routing them where they need to go.
KaoS #37
Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:51 PM
and railcraft has some fascinating (and nigh impossible to use ^_^/>/>) blocks for sensing where a minecart is on a track, take a look, perhaps a peripheral interface would be good but that's what the peripheral API is for
wilcomega #38
Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:51 PM
chunling you are only seeing the downside of new and cool features! come on man think bright!
Sebra #39
Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:45 PM
Minecarts do not stand still unlike turtles locating position. That can make positioning quite harder.
CC minecarts should be able to give RS signal in front of it to be able to switch tracks. But more important is tracks should be unable to be switched under minecarts.
CC minecarts should be able to connect peripherals (and as a peripheral itself). This can be a problem on speed.
It seems CC mainecarts should be a speedy turtle on wheels. Name it Rabit (rabid). ^_^/>/>
GopherAtl #40
Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:04 PM
in addition to the things already suggested, immibis' peripherals add rfid tags which can be read from inside storage carts, which could be used to identify "trains" in an absolute way.

A turtle cart, that acts kindof like a hybrid storage/furnace cart but with the added ability to be programmed and explicitly control which direction it takes when encountering switching track, would be kindof neat, but I don't think it would fit in with the core mod, really. I doubt it could be implemented with just the CC API either, though, as it would mean making a fundamentally new kind of turtle, not just equipping one with a new peripheral upgrade, so if anyone wanted to try to implement it, they would have to decompile CC, and distributing it would require permission from Dan.
Appleeater #41
Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:16 AM
My idea is to have computers to be able to be used in Minecarts simelar to things like the chest cart. It would be crafted simelar to the chest cart and wouldn't need fuel to move the cart possibly
theoriginalbit #42
Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:18 AM
and the purpose it would serve being in a cart?
Appleeater #43
Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:20 AM
It would be able to serve as a portable computer for instance a portable advanced computer. Or a portable printer or disk drive. but it would be attached to rails.
Sammich Lord #44
Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:22 AM
How would this be useful what-so-ever? If you want a portable computer then they stated they are going to add PDA's.
SuicidalSTDz #45
Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:13 AM
It would be cool as an add-on, but I see no real use for it since there are going to be PDA's like Sammich said. Maybe you could learn Java and make an add-on with this. Ooh, sounds like a fun project! (Well not to me, but maybe you :P/>)

Also seems a bit redundant since computers generally need a power source (Not in Minecraft, real-life). Rails don't have power in them.. (Well, yes powered rails, but you get the point)
Appleeater #46
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:24 AM
One use would be to transfer data between 2 or more computers. Anyways I'll look at learning java and seeing if I can make a addon
SuicidalSTDz #47
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:25 AM
You can transfer data using rednet..

Here, take a look
Cloudy #48
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:50 AM
One use would be to transfer data between 2 or more computers. Anyways I'll look at learning java and seeing if I can make a addon

You won't be able to without using our internal API's, which we forbid.
Dlcruz129 #49
Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:25 PM
You say these would be more mobile, but to be honest, they're less mobile than turtles, as turtles don't require rails.
ds84182 #50
Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:12 PM
Wait, doesn't this already work?
In vanilla one of the 1.5.1 changes is that Minecarts can have custom blocks in them. Those custom blocks as I recall can have NBT Data and a TileEntity. I'll test it soon and come back to you guys.
EDIT: It wasn't Minecarts, it was falling sand entities. :(/>
theoriginalbit #51
Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:12 PM
EDIT: It wasn't Minecarts, it was falling sand entities. :(/>
Woo yeh! Lets everyone put a computer in falling sand! :P/>
Jappards #52
Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:27 AM
i don`t think we actualy need a computer combined with a minecart, instead i think we need a computer module for steve`s carts.
Jappards #53
Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:51 AM
there should be a computer module for steve`s carts.
the computer module would have a modular cost of 90.
there would be a module(the code) in the mod that would only be loaded when steve`s carts is installed.
the computer module would be able to control a module like a player would.
Cloudy #54
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:00 AM
I know nothing about steves carts.
Jappards #55
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:21 AM
you should check it out, its really awesome.
steve`s carts is a mod, that adds a block wich is able to make minecarts, and the minecarts made by that block are very modular.
there are a lot of possibilities with it, its on the FTB (feed the beast) direwolf20 pack and other modpacks.
to make that possible,you or Dan should talk to Vswe about it.
and i think that direwolf20 would think that it would be awesome.
everyone says that a computer/turtle on a minecart would be pointless,but combined with steve`s carts it would be really usefull.
SuicidalSTDz #56
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:22 AM
Vswe probably won't want to, also Cloudy and Dan would have to consent to it. It's a tad bit pointless IMO. As well, Vswe already has many modules and I doubt he needs more.

You would have to do ALOT of stuff to get this approved. So, good luck :)/>
JJRcop #57
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:27 AM
You could ask RichardG to make it in his MiscPeripherals add-on for ComputerCraft. It's all about crossovers.
SuicidalSTDz #58
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:28 AM
RichardG would need permission from Vswe, Cloudy and or dan.
JJRcop #59
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:32 AM
I'm betting our side of the argument would be a yes from Cloudy/dan, but I don't know Vswe so. Hey wait a minute, aren't they both in ForgeCraft?
Jappards #60
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:38 AM
well, i am a little bit of a noob at coding.
imagine the possibilities, you would be able to make a minecart mine a certain amount of blocks.
we should really ask RichardG if he wants to implement it in his miscperipherals.
JJRcop #61
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:40 AM
Uhh… Turtle?
Tiin57 #62
Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:57 AM
Turtles cover all of this; the three computer-cart suggestions are rather pointless, as they just do a limited version of what turtles accomplish.
JJRcop #63
Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:15 AM
Except they go way faster, but you can transport them via chest minecarts and have another turtle place them.
Jappards #64
Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:25 AM
turtles are really slow and don`t really have a lot of inventory space, for me are turtles really awkward for mining. We also have to limit what a cart with this module can do without any programs.
we have to limit it to make the able to do……nothing without any programs.
and imagine the possibilities if there is a rednet upgrade for the computer module.
we are able to start a cycle from a monitor.
with the rednet and computer module we are able to make a modular cart dig a tunnel to your treefarm or making the computer bring stuff to your friend`s house and you would also be able to make the cart go to the copper layers if you need it and all with a single click on your monitor.
ElvishJerricco #65
Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:53 AM
For me, the purpose of these would be a control system for my train system. I've got locomotives running all over the place. I could have controllers at each intersection, and computers in the train that control the intersection for routing.
Cloudy #66
Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:43 AM
I'm not gonna add something that will obsolete turtles.
Kilobyte #67
Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:29 AM
The only reason i would see to implement computers on minecarts (and i actually already suggested that i think) would be to make the cart controllable by a computer. so you can basicly route it intelligently on your tracks. Otherwise it wouldn't really be what i want
MudkipTheEpic #68
Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:33 PM
Turtles dont have to travel on rails, though. Just saying.
SuicidalSTDz #69
Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:46 PM
Same things though. Turtles are computers that can move. A computer module on a cart would be pointless when we already have portable computers.
Dlcruz129 #70
Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:44 PM
For me, the purpose of these would be a control system for my train system. I've got locomotives running all over the place. I could have controllers at each intersection, and computers in the train that control the intersection for routing.

I believe OpenCCSensors can track minecarts, but I'm not sure.
ElvishJerricco #71
Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

I believe OpenCCSensors can track minecarts, but I'm not sure.

If I'm not mistaken, that can only detect carts and some basic info about them. A computer cart would be so that the train can make routing decisions on it's own. Instead of having to program an intersection to figure out what train is over it and where to make it go, the train could get to the intersection and set it to turn some direction.
Cloudy #72
Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:06 PM
Yeah, I doubt there'll be a computer cart.
Jappards #73
Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:38 AM
I only program turtles to do small tasks, but i don`t want to obsolete turtles, just making an alternative to them.
maybe that module doesn`t have to obsolete turtles, only making it an alternative to turtles maybe?
to make it not obsolete turtles we have to give both its own advantages and disadvantages.

advantage:
computer module: faster, being able to get more inventory space.
turtles: great for small tasks, quite usefull on its own.

disadvantage:
computer module:useless without any other modules on your cart, needs rails.
turltes: really slow, small inventory space.
JJRcop #74
Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:42 AM
Like I said, this would be nice in MiscPeripherals. But I do not expect it at all to be in the original mod.
Jappards #75
Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:59 AM
ok, but RichardG doesn`t want to respond, thought.
Tiin57 #76
Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:35 AM
That's because this suggestion is useless.
Jappards #77
Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:52 AM
it isn`t useless, its quite usefull when its combined with other steve`s carts modules.
and its more usefull for mining than turtles and with some programming, you are able to make a system that you click on the advanced monitor to order the system you maked earlier, so if you need copper, you let the system you maked earlier, go to the copper layers, when you need diamond, the cart goes to the diamond layer.
SuicidalSTDz #78
Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:16 AM
We have turtles. We do NOT need another item for means of portable computers (execept PDA's) The devs have deemed this suggestion unfitting so let's just leave it at that shall we.

EDIT: Not to mention what you are saying about the mining thing is already possible using turtles and for loops.
Jappards #79
Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:52 AM
this computer module is already suggested on the user suggested feature page from steve`s carts, so i don`t actualy have to suggest it to vswe.
Tjakka5 #80
Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:58 PM
This idea just popped into my head, and I tought it would be cool, sooo… Here it is:

Cart Turtle:
-A turtle capable of placing and removing carts.
-Can put a cart-able block in a cart (chest, furnace).
-Is able to see the chest and furnace carts as valid inventorys.
-When breaking a cart, both the cart and the block in the cart go in the inventory of the turtle.

Turtle Cart:
C'mon, being able to put a turtle in a cart would be somewhat helpfull when it for example needs to travel long ways.
Why spend all the fuel if you could just use some time and tracks to get it there.

Im sorry for the bad explanantion, I'm tired, and I should be in bed right now :/

misson20000 #81
Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:02 PM
Turtle cart should be able to:
  • Move using turtle fuel
  • Change directions
  • Place blocks to the left, right, or top
  • Be able to switch "T" tracks (redstone?)
  • Push other carts
GopherAtl #82
Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:28 PM
turtles can already place carts (turtle.place()) and break carts (turtle.attack() - like players, they have to hit the cart repeatedly, three attacks in a row seems to be the magic number, cart appears in inventory). Breaking a chest cart already drops the chest and cart into the turtle's inventory. Just checked and they can also already drop items into a chest cart and suck them back, if they are facing one. So the cart turtle would be a bit redundant, as all that behavior is possible.

Turtle carts, on the other hand… been suggested before. A turtle cart that acts like a programmable furnace cart would be very slick. Probably difficult to implement at the moment, but after the PDA update down the road (which already has dan200 and cloudy splitting computers from their tile entities), it just might be a viable possibility…

If all it could do was self-propel like a furnace cart, emit redstone signals forward and backwards to affect t-switches, and suck/drop from inventories adjacent to the track, with clever design and programming, it could be quite a handy thing. Been suggested before, of course, but most of the good ideas have :P/>
ChunLing #83
Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:17 PM
Furnace minecarts can be fueled and directed by turtles, by placing the fuel (turtle.place) into the minecart from behind (relative to the desired direction of travel) rather than from the top or side. Proper use of ordinary detector rails and basic turtles to check/manipulate train inventories serves all the purposes I can imagine of directing different trains with different contents in various directions. A programmable cart would be slicker, I grant. But if a programmable entity is going to be added, I'd prefer a utility mob to a cart.
KaoS #84
Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:52 AM
I actually think this would be a great idea. Utility mobs would be even better but I doubt those will be added, just too complicated. This would be really useful, especially if he could use modems and tools from inside a minecart
ChunLing #85
Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:04 AM
Hmmm, having a turtle cart that could mine and lay track and stuff while being as efficient as a furnace cart…I don't hate the idea. Probably that means it will be declared overpowered, though.

But if you're planning to move several chests worth of stuff in a push-train, the differences start to disappear. You'll need a terminal station to enable either turning the train around or reordering it to keep the pushing cart at the back (or implementing rail-craft style cart linking). Having a turtle at each station to control it isn't really that big an expense, given what-all else it needs.
KaoS #86
Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:08 AM
Hmmm, having a turtle cart that could mine and lay track and stuff while being as efficient as a furnace cart…I don't hate the idea. Probably that means it will be declared overpowered, though.

Steve's carts :D/> that is OP
immibis #87
Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:13 AM
Computer carts have been suggested before.
ChunLing #88
Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:10 PM
True. I'm still waiting on this suggestion category to produce something that can't already be done…which is a moving target due to the addition of new cart types to minecraft (it seems like eventually there will be a dispenser cart, which combined with the ). The one definite thing that it seems to offer is better fuel efficiency for the initial track-laying turtle, which I regard as a pretty low priority.

On the other hand, I do favor the direction of entity based versions of a turtle, which I believe could have some significant performance advantages relative to the use of tile entities. Also, entity-based turtles could have things like physics and health and stuff. But rather than just an entity turtle I'd prefer something like a programmable Golem.
1vannn #89
Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:56 AM
This idea just popped into my head, and I tought it would be cool, sooo… Here it is:

Cart Turtle:
-A turtle capable of placing and removing carts.
-Can put a cart-able block in a cart (chest, furnace).
-Is able to see the chest and furnace carts as valid inventorys.
-When breaking a cart, both the cart and the block in the cart go in the inventory of the turtle.

Turtle Cart:
C'mon, being able to put a turtle in a cart would be somewhat helpfull when it for example needs to travel long ways.
Why spend all the fuel if you could just use some time and tracks to get it there.

Im sorry for the bad explanantion, I'm tired, and I should be in bed right now :/
I do not see a point in using this. Misc Peripherals provides what is called a Turtle Teleporter. :)/>
KaoS #90
Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:44 AM
which is great except it is considered OP in many servers and cannot monitor your large train setup as it goes. I suppose we will just have to live with railcraft
oedze #91
Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:56 PM
he, i thought of this idea when searched through the bukkit plugin page for a minecart control system

the idea is simple, a minecart with a computer were you can set the speed, and stuff like that(i just dont know more :)/> ) but that would be a great feature to me.

thanks for all my text :)/>
-oedze
Tjakka5 #92
Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:11 PM
Similair:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/13597-cart-turtle/
Left4Cake #93
Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:05 AM
You can also power rails with redstone out put.