This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ComputerCraftFan11's profile picture

[OS MAKER] BootDisks - Make a REAL cc OS! [RECODE]

Started by ComputerCraftFan11, 09 June 2012 - 08:45 PM
ComputerCraftFan11 #1
Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:45 PM
Boot Disks

While reading another topic, I decided to make this program. It lets you boot a OS from a disk!

To make a OS, you need 2 files.
  1. bios.lua
  2. OS main file
First, lets start off with your bios.lua. Outside of MC, write this in a program:

#os_main

function os.version()
  return "TrollOS 1.0"
end
(ima stop the center now)

#os_main can be ANYTHING, it just has to be inside the disk and start with #.
now save that program into saves/ursavename/computers/disks/*any id*/bios.lua
Now open another text thing and type in this.

print( "Welcome to " ..os.version() )
print( " insert OS here " )
and save that as saves/ursavename/computers/disk/*any id*/*whatever was past the # in bios*

Now insert that disk into ur PC and you just got a OS :)/>/>
CREDITS:
  • Noodle for the idea
  • This community for all your support and help :D/>/> (stole this line from another post xD)
CraftOS 1.3
Do you want CraftOS back? Install these 2 programs into a disk.
CraftOS.zip

How to install BootDisks:
  • Server
    • Replace BootDisks with shell in *server folder*/mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom/shell
  • Client
    • Replace BootDisks with shell in .minecraft/mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom/shell
Cloudy #2
Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:05 AM
How would this even work? There is no code to even load from the disk (which is handled Lua side, not Java side)…
MysticT #3
Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:31 AM
How would this even work? There is no code to even load from the disk (which is handled Lua side, not Java side)…
It's on the download at the top, but it's just the shell with some changes. It would be the same as creating a startup file and loading the os in there, wich doesn't require any modification to the rom, so I don't see the point of this.
Cloudy #4
Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:49 AM
It's on the download at the top, but it's just the shell with some changes. It would be the same as creating a startup file and loading the os in there, wich doesn't require any modification to the rom, so I don't see the point of this.

Right, gotcha - didn't see the download button, it wasn't too clear!

And yes, in order to have a difference you'd have the disk boot code in the bios.lua.
ComputerCraftFan11 #5
Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

You have to install CraftOS :(/>/>
ComputerCraftFan11 #6
Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:12 AM
Added a credits to the post.

Any suggestions?
Noodle #7
Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:13 AM
Yay I getzez teh creditzez.
ComputerCraftFan11 #8
Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:23 AM
Yay I getzez teh creditzez.

Yay u do getzes thaz creditzez.
PixelToast #9
Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:03 AM
i likez tahtz credezez, itz nice.
also like teh TrollOS, translatin random strings to latin
Cloudy #10
Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:34 PM
Sorry to say but this doesn't allow custom OS'es, as all of bios.lua is run and also the shell API is installed.

You would have the same effect running your code from a startup file on a disk. Why not just replace bios.lua with code to load the bios.lua from disk, and let people run code with the global table as supplied by java?
ComputerCraftFan11 #11
Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:45 AM
Sorry to say but this doesn't allow custom OS'es, as all of bios.lua is run and also the shell API is installed.

You would have the same effect running your code from a startup file on a disk. Why not just replace bios.lua with code to load the bios.lua from disk, and let people run code with the global table as supplied by java?

Yea, but this was mostly made for the effect of having to install CraftOS instead of having it come with your PC.

I updated the program! when booting, press F12 to open your boot menu and change if you wanna boot from the Hard drive or disk. I also recoded it.
Noodle #12
Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:01 AM
Coding is more understandable…
Thankyou, modz.