This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SGunner2014's profile picture

OS 8

Started by SGunner2014, 05 October 2014 - 07:56 PM
SGunner2014 #1
Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:56 PM
OS 8

WHAT IS OS 8?

INSTALL USING: pastebin run UEumv5aY

OS 8 is an "OS" for computercraft, which aims to be simple to use and easy to understand. As it currently stands, OS8 is nothing more than a glorified shell with multitasking, login and an unistall function. I will be adding many more functions on the near future. This OS will not work on Computercraft 1.63.

SREENSHOTS
Spoiler

KNOWN BUGS AND PROBLEMS
Spoiler

- The pictures app does not work fully
- The App Store crashes and you have to manually reboot.
- The updater does not work fully
- Not all tiles have been linked to programs
- The files app does not currently work. I am aware of this and I am fixing it as you read this.

I am to have weekly updates on a monday.

Thanks,
- Sam
tenshae #2
Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:55 AM
Eheh why don't you block termination of the OS?
Mr. Bateman #3
Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:36 AM
Christ, it does look like Windows 8.
Lignum #4
Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:15 PM
I don't see how the OS would benefit from doing that.
Saldor010 #5
Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

Can you terminate out of Windows? No.
Can you terminate out of any other mainstream OS? No. (Not sure about Linux actually. That strikes me as the OS that would actually let you do that.)
Should you be able to terminate out of an OS? No.
Lignum #6
Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:02 PM
Can you terminate out of any other mainstream OS? No. (Not sure about Linux actually. That strikes me as the OS that would actually let you do that.)

Yes, because with real OSes, there's nothing to terminate to. Most ComputerCraft operating system are able to be terminated to get to CraftOS, which is useful when you want to do something the OS doesn't allow you to do by itself or when you want to uninstall the OS since most OSes don't provide an uninstaller. And with the quality of some of the OSes on the forums, this is vital (I'm not implying that this one is bad)…

So, to conclude, I think that every OS should be able to be terminated because 9/10 of all CC OSes just won't replace CraftOS. Besides, as a second argument, you can terminate CraftOS itself, so why should you not be able to terminate community-made OSes?
SGunner2014 #7
Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

Yes, because with real OSes, there's nothing to terminate to. Most ComputerCraft operating system are able to be terminated to get to CraftOS, which is useful when you want to do something the OS doesn't allow you to do by itself or when you want to uninstall the OS since most OSes don't provide an uninstaller. And with the quality of some of the OSes on the forums, this is vital (I'm not implying that this one is bad)…

So, to conclude, I think that every OS should be able to be terminated because 9/10 of all CC OSes just won't replace CraftOS. Besides, as a second argument, you can terminate CraftOS itself, so why should you not be able to terminate community-made OSes?

The only reason for not having a terminate blocking function in it at the moment is so that I can terminate it whenever I please, therefore taking less time and freeing up time for me to develop the OS.

Thanks,
- Sam

PS I will try and get an update out at some point tonight.
SGunner2014 #8
Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:29 PM
Okay, I've pushed out an EXTREMELY early beta for a file browser. I worked on this for the mostpart of three hours, so that is why it's not complete. You will have to update (at the moment) by re-running the installer on your computer.

Have fun, and good luck!

Thanks,
- Sam
SGunner2014 #9
Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:49 PM
Okay, I've got the file manager to an acceptable working state. Please note that it currently cannot cope with dirs with more than 16 files. This is something I am currently fixing. The updated version of the file manager is also now provided during the installation of OS 8.

You can find the file manager program here

Thanks,
- Sam
syfygirl #10
Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

Well on linux if you press alt + ctrl + (f1 through f6) you can get into a terminal and run a command called pkill, that kills a procces.
So if you used a desktop called kde, typing, pkill kde, would terminate it. But so can mac, and windows.
jaredallard #11
Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

Well on linux if you press alt + ctrl + (f1 through f6) you can get into a terminal and run a command called pkill, that kills a procces.
So if you used a desktop called kde, typing, pkill kde, would terminate it. But so can mac, and windows.

You are refering to a TTY, which back in the day would connect you to a server before SSH and nice things existed. f1-f6 is not forced. f1 tty is (for ArchLinux) desktop, f2-f7 is a TTY. You can even add more TTYs via stty if you want.

Windows cannot terminate the Desktop, Mac I am unsure about as I don't support operating systems that rip of a core OS and don't even give credit, but I digress.

Killing the Kernel results in death of the system essentially unless running in a chroot enviroment, which would first of all make kernel stopage impossible, and second of just return you to the host shell even if it was.
ElvishJerricco #12
Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:54 PM
I don't support operating systems that rip of a core OS and don't even give credit, but I digress.

You act as though OS X's UNIX implementation isn't mostly, if not entirely open source.

Anyway I don't think terminability should be a major topic of discussion on an OS project. It's a minor thing that in the end isn't very impactful. Rather, perhaps we should actually be talking about the OS this topic is born from?
syfygirl #13
Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

You are refering to a TTY, which back in the day would connect you to a server before SSH and nice things existed. f1-f6 is not forced. f1 tty is (for ArchLinux) desktop, f2-f7 is a TTY. You can even add more TTYs via stty if you want.

Windows cannot terminate the Desktop, Mac I am unsure about as I don't support operating systems that rip of a core OS and don't even give credit, but I digress.

Killing the Kernel results in death of the system essentially unless running in a chroot enviroment, which would first of all make kernel stopage impossible, and second of just return you to the host shell even if it was.

Actualy i think you can kill the windows desktop if you kill explorer.exe, course thats only the taskbar.
Lyqyd #14
Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:11 PM
Killing explorer, dwm and login on windows should essentially kill the "desktop" on windows, though you'll likely leave the computer in a useless state.

But yes, we are off topic, and it probably wasn't worth reviving this topic from the last post in October just for this side discussion. :P/>