This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
logsys's profile picture

Small Startup read-only override proof chipset

Started by logsys, 20 October 2014 - 06:34 PM
logsys #1
Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:34 PM
Oh god, why did i just remember this now?

Ok, so everyone has been requesting a not so read only memory folder, but what if we had a BIOS built in our computer. It would only have enough space for a bootloader.

Advantages:
- "Locked" bootloader
- Disables override for who want (who doesnt, it is kept enabled)
- Allows a BIOS
- Allows read-only folders beyond ROM
- ROM is kept untouched, still with default OS

Disavantages:
- Non that i know.. tell me and will add any of them
Cranium #2
Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:19 PM
Blargh, didn't mean to upvote.

What's to stop people from making a malicious program upon a non-terminating startup? Bootloaders can be dangerous.
logsys #3
Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:32 PM
Not if they are well designed, like a bootloader developed by community that has a built-in virus detection.. just like OSes, community could make bootloaders. I'm sure people like Oeed and Lyqyd would do great bootloaders
. But only who uses them can get infected. I dont mean for this to be made by users by default. Dan200 makes a default one and users then can custumize their own
Cranium #4
Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:02 PM
So then you're talking about something that's added by either a server owner or through file management outside of the game?
That's why we have resource packs…
logsys #5
Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:45 PM
No no no! Its a chip or somethibg you add by crafting. When you craft a chip, it brings the default bootloader (computercraft forums team recommended!! :)/> ). Put in a disk drive and program inside it. Change the bootloader, erase, write.. etc. Then place the computer in the side of the chip (crafting table) and it becomes a chipped computer.
Cycomantis #6
Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:01 PM
Something like.. Custom ROM via crafting

The search feature is a wonderful thing…
logsys #7
Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:20 AM
Custom ROM via crafting is different thing. This is just a startup file, not a entire new ROM folder
Sebra #8
Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:45 PM
"Custom ROM via crafting" allows to make ROM corrections as tiny as you want and as large as you want.
Use empty disk to restore default ROM content.
In the easiest possible way, nothing lost, nothing forced. ;)/>
logsys #9
Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:53 PM
But thats different from the bootloader. The bootloader is a "BIOS", what you mentioned is modifying ROM indeed. Having a small script that "Read-Only"s a folder is better than you modifying ROM.

To admins, I would add some more arguments.
1. The space used
Imaging if you had a modifyable ROM folder.. the space would be the same. As to the bootloader, only a small space would not use up your space (like the ROM).
H4X0RZ #10
Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:43 PM
I think this is "kinda" possible with vanilla CC. It would just be more "hacky" then your idea.
logsys #11
Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:50 PM
I said chip, but it can be a disk with a iron so it locks the write functionality and you craft with your computer, making it boot from the disk
Sebra #12
Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:00 PM
Difference is "Custom ROM via crafting" have less restrictions. You can correct (change) any little place, you want, without touching other files. You should not make any loaders, intercept file operations, protect files from access etc. You can do all this, but not forced to.
"The space used" is the space for changed files for each reprogrammed Computer. Not changed files not copied, but used originals.
logsys #13
Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:10 PM
Difference is "Custom ROM via crafting" have less restrictions. You can correct (change) any little place, you want, without touching other files. You should not make any loaders, intercept file operations, protect files from access etc.
Why do you really think people wants this to do nothing with it? A bootloader would be a kinda encrypted way of loading the pc without you bootcode being seen.. just like bios.lua(cant see in-game). A bootloader wouldn't change ROM at all. Thats why my idea is different from "Custom ROM via crafting".

People will change system APIs, override the main ROM with their own operating system. I am not against it, im just thinking that it must be better for admins to like it than changing the ROM. Changing "ROM" would do the same purpose, so I am not against "Custom ROM via crafting".
Cranium #14
Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:27 PM
  1. Player 1 makes a computer in their base and labels it. They start making programs on it.
  2. Player 2 comes in, breaks the computer, and crafts it with a malicious bootloader to create folder recursion spam upon startup in the background.
  3. Player 2 replaces computer and leaves.
  4. Player 1 starts computer up, begins coding, and eventually the folder recursion begins to cause lag on the server.
  5. Player 2 continues to do this for every computer he finds.
Honestly, how the heck is a non-removable, read only, override proof custom program(no matter how small) beneficial for anyone?
Edited on 23 October 2014 - 04:28 PM
Sebra #15
Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:28 PM
Why do you really think people wants this to do nothing with it? A bootloader would be a kinda encrypted way of loading the pc without you bootcode being seen.. just like bios.lua(cant see in-game). A bootloader wouldn't change ROM at all. Thats why my idea is different from "Custom ROM via crafting".

People will change system APIs, override the main ROM with their own operating system. I am not against it, im just thinking that it must be better for admins to like it than changing the ROM. Changing "ROM" would do the same purpose, so I am not against "Custom ROM via crafting".
1.I want players to not have been forced to use bootloaders or "Custom ROM via crafting". But be able to (one of them).
2.I think encryption is bad here. Changes should be clear.
3.Your idea is different ofc, but "Custom ROM via crafting" is better IMHO. I do not like each modified Computer to "install their own operating system" each time it loads. It mostly include intercepting of everything. With "Custom ROM via crafting" Player can change the exactly wanted piece of code. Player can substitute whole OS by his own. Almost any level of customization is possible.

So my opinion still "your idea is not bad, but other idea is better".
wilcomega #16
Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:41 PM
i like the idea, but i think there is too much restriction here, i understand you would only have a bois.lua or something diffrent but i think there should be a little more freedom tbh
logsys #17
Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:23 PM
  1. Player 1 makes a computer in their base and labels it. They start making programs on it.
  2. Player 2 comes in, breaks the computer, and crafts it with a malicious bootloader to create folder recursion spam upon startup in the background.
  3. Player 2 replaces computer and leaves.
  4. Player 1 starts computer up, begins coding, and eventually the folder recursion begins to cause lag on the server.
  5. Player 2 continues to do this for every computer he finds.
Honestly, how the heck is a non-removable, read only, override proof custom program(no matter how small) beneficial for anyone?
I know it is long since I came back here, so I will just do a small sugestion to my sugestion. Why not make "Safe bootloaders". A team of trusted users would check the bootloaders and allow them to be installed. Like a safety feature that can be disabled in servers and locally. What you are saying is true and I totally agree with you, but we need to give the OSes a little freedom.

A second idea I had was to make a proper BIOS in the computer. Therefore, there would not need this at all. Like 2 options: "Load default rom" and "Load custom ROM."
Dragon53535 #18
Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:50 PM
I hate to say it, but allowing a user to edit any part of the ROM is bad. Or even by introducing their own. There are certain things in the ROM that are coded specifically to stop users from being able to do things they shouldn't (String metatables for instance) and if a user could override any part of this then that user can potentially mess things up. Some servers add specific code into the ROM, that being a fix for something, or a autorun program to stop item duping, if you had access to this, you could potentially move past it and not be restricted to it.

tl;dr Having a customizable ROM would allow users to bypass built in functions that stop them from doing things.
logsys #19
Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:10 PM
I hate to say it, but allowing a user to edit any part of the ROM is bad. Or even by introducing their own. There are certain things in the ROM that are coded specifically to stop users from being able to do things they shouldn't (String metatables for instance) and if a user could override any part of this then that user can potentially mess things up. Some servers add specific code into the ROM, that being a fix for something, or a autorun program to stop item duping, if you had access to this, you could potentially move past it and not be restricted to it.

tl;dr Having a customizable ROM would allow users to bypass built in functions that stop them from doing things.
true still, but nothing is enforcing to use a custom ROM. With my idea, you can add a bootloader if youd like, if you dont then you keep the main.

EDIT: (3rd Edit im writing, but no luck of getting it posted)
I had an idea that, if you had a R/O file that only loads the necessary before the bootloader, like remove string metatables. Still, that can be used for servers that wanted to add stuff to ROM, like adding some files(writing on first boot) and some more stuff. Current OSes can already unload the APIs and rewrite them.

So, basicly, my idea is:
  • A chip that loads between a server specified bios.lua then the programs that it should run.
  • The chip could be removed by a certain user's screwdriver(or some tool that only works with a specified player) and can't be upgraded/downgraded(requires replacement). If you can find assymetric encryption system on lua, then upgrade/downgrade would be possible, such as a better "previously approved" chip.
  • Player's made bootloader could be disabled in config, so only the ones approved here in forums could be ran.
  • An advantage would be that ROM isn't replaced or anything, what happens is that the bootloader says what should be ran and what shouldn't.
Edited on 14 December 2014 - 09:54 PM