This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ComputerCraftFan11's profile picture

[Fun] FakeROM - Trick your friends into thinking you edited the ROM! [v1.0]

Started by ComputerCraftFan11, 11 June 2012 - 05:53 AM
ComputerCraftFan11 #1
Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

This program I made lets you edit the rom… Or does it?

You can use this program to trick your friends!

This program works by creating a copy of "rom" called ".rom" (it has a . in the beginning so its not on fs.list) then tricking the game into thinking "rom" is ".rom"!

Features:
  • You can use "edit rom/programname" and it will let you save! (It even works with custom edits)
  • If you type "list rom", it will show the new programs (even with your custom rom lister)
  • Shell.run and fs.exists("rom/programname") will also work too!
Coming Soon:
  1. fs.delete("rom/programname")
  2. Using fs.move("rom", "pie") (So you can also rename your rom!)
Known Glitches:
  1. You can't delete files in rom

Notice: This does not actually edit the rom, we are not responsible for whatever you do wrong :(/>/>

WARNING: USE WITH CAUTION. THIS CREATES A DIRECTORY THATS 2.2MB AND MAY BE DANGEROUS IF NOT HANDLED PROPERLY (so make sure people don't spam it).
limdingwen #2
Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:49 AM
WARNING: USE WITH CAUTION. THIS CREATES A DIRECTORY THATS 2.2MB AND MAY BE DANGEROUS IF NOT HANDLED PROPERLY (so make sure people don't spam it).

Oh shit. This may be enough for me to turn back to RedPower Control…. :)/>/>

Anyway on-topic: What's it for? :o/>/>
ComputerCraftFan11 #3
Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

Oh shit. This may be enough for me to turn back to RedPower Control…. :)/>/>

Anyway on-topic: What's it for? :o/>/>

The 2.2MB is for the copy of the rom folder
Noodle #4
Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:31 AM
Hmm… Too many people on the server when it was really populated used this technique… SO MUCH VIRUS + SPACE USED.
Lyqyd #5
Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:07 AM
Hmm… Too many people on the server when it was really populated used this technique… SO MUCH VIRUS + SPACE USED.

You don't really understand what a virus is, do you?
Pinkishu #6
Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

You don't really understand what a virus is, do you?

A real CC virus or all the CC wannabe viruses? :)/>/>
Noodle #7
Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:24 AM
Lol… I've experienced ALL of them.
This is a "virus" where you can "edit" the rom.
Pinkishu #8
Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:31 AM
Lol… I've experienced ALL of them.
This is a "virus" where you can "edit" the rom.

Proof? :3
Looks to me as with any wannabe virus its easily disable-able by using a disk drive startup or something
Noodle #9
Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:42 AM
?? FakeROM isn't a virus, what you mean proof, and You can't disable FakeROM if you run it, UNLESS you delete the files that it creates.
Pinkishu #10
Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:44 AM
Well it won't run if you restart it and startup from a disk drive or something Oo
Noodle #11
Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:46 AM
Yes, you can get rid of the program in startup.. But in all honesty you won't. You'll put it on the computer, run it, done! :)/>/>
FakeROM isn't a startup virus, its a file creation virus..
Pinkishu #12
Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:47 AM
Yeah… so? Without FakeROM rewriting the FS function it won't work xD
4forpengs #13
Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:07 AM
i'm pretty sure a virus is defined by simple fact of if it's wanted by the owner of the computer or not. Viruses are just programs, just like any other thing in your computer really.
Lyqyd #14
Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:42 AM
A virus has to be viral; it has to have the ability to self-propagate. This does not (and most "virus" programs posted here do not), so it is not a virus in any way.
Noodle #15
Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:39 AM
Wrong. A virus does not have to be viral. As long as it infects the victim's computer/electronic it is considered a virus.
Lyqyd #16
Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:52 AM
Wrong. A virus does not have to be viral. As long as it infects the victim's computer/electronic it is considered a virus.

A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another.

I think you're confusing "virus" with "malware", which does not need to be viral.
Tiin57 #17
Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:27 AM
Also, a virus must keep the host alive. They're used for botnets and such. All there is on the forums is a bunch of malware that completely kills the computer and doesn't reproduce. (The closest thing to a true virus I've seen is a program that can replicate itself and spread, but is still malware, since it simply loops a print command.
ComputerCraftFan11 #18
Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:45 PM
A virus has to be viral; it has to have the ability to self-propagate. This does not (and most "virus" programs posted here do not), so it is not a virus in any way.

I never said it was a virus, everyone else did.

This isn't supposed to be a virus, just a program that you can hide on your computer and show other people that you can edit rom when you actually aren't.