This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
DannySMc's profile picture

Live Email Client (L2P) - Version 2

Started by DannySMc, 29 October 2014 - 01:13 PM
DannySMc #1
Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:13 PM
So recently I have been working with a lot of PHP for my job, and I know you guys would benefit from this as well. So here is a new program I have whipped together, it simply allows you to send emails to a user with the following:

Version: 2.1

UPDATE:
So after a few people ask for an update and a few new bits and bobs, here is the newest list of features:

Features:
+ Multiple recipients - up to 10 emails to send the same message to!
+ Better user interface - updated with feedback to make it look prettier!
+ New check feature - before sending allows you to check your message with a wordwrap function to fit it all on the screen!
+ A custom username - make sure they know who you are!
+ More productive!

Features (To-Do):
+ Add a database with email addresses.
+ Add a quick insert of recipients using the address book database.
+ Add MySQL database support for storing addresses and allow multiple clients to utilize this (Optional)
+ Add a login system to users that have been approved as some people may abuse this program!

Features (PHP Script):
+ Currently the script will not work if too many messages are sent from the same user within a period of time.
+ It will check code for no malicious code.
+ Code has the attachment option already coded in, ready for update.

NOTE: USE WISELY!!

Anyone abusing this tell me and I shall check stored record log. (Note: Each user will have their IP stored, to make sure it is not abused otherwise the PHP script will add you to a ban list!)

If you wish to add this to your OS, then please tell me or pm, and don't take credit! If it is to go on a server then I can make more with custom address names if you want? I can also give you a database to control all your users for them to login to (This is a live MySQL database).

Use:
pastebin get cjLdJmJn email

Any questions pm me or email me: danny.smc95@gmail.com

Thanks!

Updated pictures are attached below!!!​
Edited on 30 October 2014 - 03:24 PM
Dragon53535 #2
Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:43 PM
This is actually pretty interesting, quick question, your program puts the text below what it's supposed to be. Is this intentional?

Quick bug: Message needs to be over 5 characters I typed over 5. Although looking at the code, it's just the error message that's wrong.

Also, just tested it with a message to self, and a message to you, seems to work pretty well :D/>
Edited on 29 October 2014 - 01:48 PM
DannySMc #3
Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:57 PM
This is actually pretty interesting, quick question, your program puts the text below what it's supposed to be. Is this intentional?

Quick bug: Message needs to be over 5 characters I typed over 5. Although looking at the code, it's just the error message that's wrong.

Also, just tested it with a message to self, and a message to you, seems to work pretty well :D/>

I have not noticed that, the main body has to be over 10 characters. I am glad you like it, currently updating it to allow you send the same email to many users as well as adding an address book, and a confirm screen before sending it.

Glad you like it! If you have any other ideas do tell me.

Also the link has been updated!

I have not noticed that, the main body has to be over 10 characters. I am glad you like it, currently updating it to allow you send the same email to many users as well as adding an address book, and a confirm screen before sending it.

Glad you like it! If you have any other ideas do tell me.

Also the link has been updated!

If you wish to have a personal address at the end or anything do pm me and I can get you a link!
Dragon53535 #4
Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:00 PM
Another thing to note, your subject error text is off, it says 8 when it's really greater than 5.

Also your about page on your site is down. Actually most of your pages on your site are down…

Anyways, your program was quite interesting, i'm not sure though if i have any true use for it as i don't use my email that much. However a suggestion you could use is that you could add a kind of "login" system for checking returned emails, if such an option would exist.

If you wish to have a personal address at the end or anything do pm me and I can get you a link!

I think i'm fine :P/>
Edited on 29 October 2014 - 02:04 PM
DannySMc #5
Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:15 PM
Another thing to note, your subject error text is off, it says 8 when it's really greater than 5.

Also your about page on your site is down. Actually most of your pages on your site are down…

Anyways, your program was quite interesting, i'm not sure though if i have any true use for it as i don't use my email that much. However a suggestion you could use is that you could add a kind of "login" system for checking returned emails, if such an option would exist.

I think i'm fine :P/>

Yes was a quick script, will check that over, and yes it's possible, but it depends if people would use it… I only do things like that if needed, as it is a bigger task.

Website wise, yes it was launched a few days ago, barely any of it is finished. It is a personal project, as it runs through lua (a few of the pages) and I am trying to standardize it through the website.

I am just making simple programs that will run in a new desktop environment I am building, so it isn't just an empty "os".
InputUsername #6
Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:45 PM
The idea is good, but it could probably be abused. Someone could write a script to automatically send thousands of mails through your website (right?)

So, as Dragon said, some form of authentication would be useful.
The program itself looks good and works well though :)/>
DannySMc #7
Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:55 PM
The idea is good, but it could probably be abused. Someone could write a script to automatically send thousands of mails through your website (right?)

Do me a favour, can you send me an email?

to: danny@xigen.co.uk

as it is being funny with me :/ and don't update it!!
LDDestroier #8
Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:34 AM
You said you worked with PHP, so is this an actual email client that uses the HTTP api? Because if it is, then that is awesome!
DannySMc #9
Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:45 AM
You said you worked with PHP, so is this an actual email client that uses the HTTP api? Because if it is, then that is awesome!

Yes it just sends emails now, but for future I will be re-writing code that allows you to check a emails.
DannySMc #10
Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

What type of authentication? as in a local user and pass? or a database one?

and how would that stop someone from abusing it? They could still make one and then upload it and login? so what type are you thinking of?