This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
EducatedGaming's profile picture

Help with making a thing like bitcoin.

Started by EducatedGaming, 08 November 2014 - 01:27 AM
EducatedGaming #1
Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:27 AM
I want to make something like bit coin. I want to have a main server that controls how quick they can mine, and have a client that mines. I also want to have it so you can add more computers to a cable to make it mine quicker. If that last thing isnt possible, Its ok. I can work around that. Im pretty good at CC, but this is too advanced for me.
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:49 AM
Moved to General. The Programs forum is only for released code.
EducatedGaming #3
Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:54 AM
Moved to General. The Programs forum is only for released code.
Oh ok sorry!
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:01 AM
I also want to have it so you can add more computers to a cable to make it mine quicker. If that last thing isnt possible, Its ok.

It's only really possible to fake that part.

ComputerCraft runs all code through the one Lua interpretor, and only ever executes one stream of code at a time. Whenever one script pauses, say to flash a cursor at the user or wait for them to click the mouse or whatever, it uses that time to run some other script, perhaps running on some other computer.

In short, no matter how many computers you dedicate to a task, you'll never see a speed increase.

However, I suppose you could rig up a system for determining how many computers are running a given script. That script doesn't have to do anything short of confirming it's being run - a server could keep tabs on the number of systems reporting in and grant "coins" accordingly.
EducatedGaming #5
Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:08 AM
I also want to have it so you can add more computers to a cable to make it mine quicker. If that last thing isnt possible, Its ok.

It's only really possible to fake that part.

ComputerCraft runs all code through the one Lua interpretor, and only ever executes one stream of code at a time. Whenever one script pauses, say to flash a cursor at the user or wait for them to click the mouse or whatever, it uses that time to run some other script, perhaps running on some other computer.

In short, no matter how many computers you dedicate to a task, you'll never see a speed increase.

However, I suppose you could rig up a system for determining how many computers are running a given script. That script doesn't have to do anything short of confirming it's being run - a server could keep tabs on the number of systems reporting in and grant "coins" accordingly.
Any ideas for the code? Im thinking just send a id through a modem to the server and the server will have a tick and when it ticks, it would send coins
Edited on 08 November 2014 - 02:47 AM
TurtleHunter #6
Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:58 PM
Bitcoin isnt that simple
LDDestroier #7
Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:33 PM
Bitcoin doesn't actually seem that bad of an idea. Like, someone could set up an online store at spawn, then if people go to spawn and buy something, a turtle would fly to the coordinates of your chest with the items and go back.
Agent Silence #8
Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:38 PM
Bitcoin doesn't actually seem that bad of an idea. Like, someone could set up an online store at spawn, then if people go to spawn and buy something, a turtle would fly to the coordinates of your chest with the items and go back.
You could use BB's Turtle pathfinder script
Have a server controlling your default delivery chest position based on account, so no identity fraud
and 10 turtles on standby waiting for a message with protocol "bitget" and an item ID
Edited on 12 November 2014 - 07:38 PM
ElvishJerricco #9
Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:30 AM

Or use CCTransport to deliver items digitally

/plug :P/>
Edited on 13 November 2014 - 04:30 AM