This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
oeed's profile picture

Website Testing, again

Started by oeed, 15 November 2014 - 11:39 PM
oeed #1
Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:39 AM
With the advent of my 000webhost account being terminated I decided to entirely remake my website, which can be found here: http://olivercooper.me/

I've tested it on Chrome and Safari on OS X which is pretty all I've got access too and there's bound to be issues with other browsers.

I'm also interested to know what people think about the design, it might be a bit bland and over simplistic.

But yea, have at it.

Oh and you can ignore the "Keystone Extended" page, that's something for school.
Zambonie #2
Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:34 AM
Seems good, the design is pretty nice. The only thing I have found though when going to a webpage like your keystone website, than hitting the back button just gives me plain text most of the time.
Also, what host are you using now? I found out that my ISP blocked 000webhost, and lots of other free website hosts..
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:40 AM
you're breaking a lot of usability guidelines. that could definitely add confusion to the user.
oeed #4
Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:44 AM
Seems good, the design is pretty nice. The only thing I have found though when going to a webpage like your keystone website, than hitting the back button just gives me plain text most of the time.
Also, what host are you using now? I found out that my ISP blocked 000webhost, and lots of other free website hosts..

GoDaddy, I'm not sure why it's doing that. I'll take a look.
you're breaking a lot of usability guidelines. that could definitely add confusion to the user.

What specially? I know the page loading thing might be a little confusing.
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:55 AM
There's quite a lot tbh, but the main three are:
  1. Inconsistent font, most usability guidelines say pick a single font and stick with it;
  2. Your 'back' button is more of what most users would assume is a 'forward' button, which would cause confusion as it breaks convention (back buttons are on the left); and finally
  3. The average user expects that if they go down a page hierarchy, that they'd be able to press the back/forward buttons on their browser, this isn't possible on your site.
oeed #6
Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:37 AM
There's quite a lot tbh, but the main three are:
  1. Inconsistent font, most usability guidelines say pick a single font and stick with it;
  2. Your 'back' button is more of what most users would assume is a 'forward' button, which would cause confusion as it breaks convention (back buttons are on the left); and finally
  3. The average user expects that if they go down a page hierarchy, that they'd be able to press the back/forward buttons on their browser, this isn't possible on your site.
While I see what you mean about the font, I only use it for the title, but I'll experiment with it.

You're right about the back button, I'll probably just replace it with a home button.

I didn't notice that back/forward buttons not working, I'll fix that too.
Edited on 16 November 2014 - 01:37 AM
Lyqyd #7
Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:26 AM
This isn't really very ComputerCraft related. A relatively minimal post linking to another website smacks of advertisement.
oeed #8
Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:10 AM
This isn't really very ComputerCraft related. A relatively minimal post linking to another website smacks of advertisement.

Suppose, although it is 'anything and everything'. I'm not trying to sell anything though, just getting some feedback which I've appreciated.
TheOddByte #9
Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:41 PM
Seems that when you goto contact me and try to press any of links it doesn't open a new tab or anything that redirects to the link, I'm using Chrome FYI
oeed #10
Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:52 PM
Seems that when you goto contact me and try to press any of links it doesn't open a new tab or anything that redirects to the link, I'm using Chrome FYI
Huh… so it isn't. I'll try and fix that, thanks.