This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cdel's profile picture

Manipulation of Energy and Matter

Started by cdel, 18 November 2014 - 07:55 AM
cdel #1
Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:55 AM
After watching the movie "Lucy", I became quite intrigued with the fact that the brain could possibly manipulate things such as energy and matter. I find the post written here on some philosophy forum was well done and worth a read.

Post your thoughts/opinions on the topic if you wish, not sure about this topic but oh well. Hope I don't sound like that big of a dirty hippe. :P/>
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:19 AM
You're talking about telekinesis, basically - while it'll likely remain a cool concept in fiction, I don't think we're going to see any evidence of it appear in reality. Our brains generate electrical pulses throughout our network of nerves, and with these we can control our bodies - but remote manipulation of objects? Even if our brains had many times their amount of power available to them, how would we utilise it?

The closest thing anyone's got to it is to build devices which analyse brain activity and then move things accordingly. As I understand it, this sort of tech is mostly used for prosthetics, but odds are it's already making its way into powered armour systems, and I suppose in fifty years we might see it being used for rather more general purposes. Say a brain-wave activated wifi transmitter that can send messages, unlock doors, that sort of thing. Or fire up our jetpacks, maybe…

Proving something is impossible is a tricky business - one must examine every possibility and shred of evidence, invalidating the lot without fail. In a nutshell, this can't be done. So can't say there aren't people with telekinetic abilities… just that the odds of them existing are immeasurably low.

You might be interested in checking out some videos of a guy called James Randi. He's a magician, which he uses as his way of introducing himself to you as a "liar" - in fact, he set up an institute offering a million dollar prize to anyone who could prove they did have such powers. A very interesting man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge
Agent Silence #3
Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:57 AM
Telekinesis is a very interesting concept, but very difficult to understand in a complex way. There are ways of simulating telekineses, for example, if we had universal energy converters, as in converting electricity to fire, and fire to electricity, we could send a mental message to a brainwave scanner and if it reads a certain message, sends an electrical current to a universal energy converter, which turns electricity into raw force and then transmit that force into a glove, which contains and empties the force onto the first thing it touches.
It's not very practical, but nonetheless a cool idea.
Edited on 18 November 2014 - 11:58 PM
cdel #4
Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:08 AM
Telekinesis is a very interesting concept, but very difficult to understand in a complex way. There are ways of simulating telekineses, for example, if we had universal energy converters, as in converting electricity to fire, and fire to electricity, we could send a mental message to a brainwave scanner and if it reads a certain message, sends an electrical current to a universal energy converter, which turns electricity into raw force and then transmit that force into a glove, which contains and empties the force onto the first thing it touches.
It's not very practical, but nonetheless a cool idea.

I was looking into something, trying to see how a device reads brain waves in order for me to build a device that would run a python script once the brain activity reached a certain point, as BombBloke also said it could be used in armour and possibly things such as lasers.
Agent Silence #5
Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:26 AM
-doublequotesnip-

I was looking into something, trying to see how a device reads brain waves in order for me to build a device that would run a python script once the brain activity reached a certain point, as BombBloke also said it could be used in armour and possibly things such as lasers.
Yeah, but it would be most useful in bionic limbs and or weapons. Being able to control a fake arm that can shoot a Gatling Gun out of its hand would be very useful and awesome.
Maybe a drill hand?
Edited on 19 November 2014 - 05:26 AM
cdel #6
Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:43 AM
-doublequotesnip-

Yeah, but it would be most useful in bionic limbs and or weapons. Being able to control a fake arm that can shoot a Gatling Gun out of its hand would be very useful and awesome.
Maybe a drill hand?

Or exoskeletons that could mirror actions even better :D/>