This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TR1T0N_'s profile picture

Computercraft NFS (WIP)

Started by TR1T0N_, 30 November 2014 - 12:29 PM
TR1T0N_ #1
Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:29 PM
Last night i had the idea of building an expandable network file system within the CC mod which would work similar to cloud file servers of today for example dropbox and Amazon S3 etc the file storage works by having a client, a main server and a selection of nodes ("blocks") which you can assign to the server to allow for a nearly forever expandable storage (until you fill your computers hard drive) and i will be adding many more features in the future (see below) that will hopefully enhance the program.

Future Additions:
Spoilerinstaller
ability to create and access directories
ability to access the editor from the file
backup / RAID
logins/password protection, read only and encryption
GUI design
Hostname association
VFS intergration

How to install:
Spoilerfirstly download these three pieces of software on three individual computers with modems assigned to the top however this can be edited inside the code (top line ~)
nfsclient: pastebin get ZP1X4ZW8 nfsclient.cc
nfs: pastebin get r3DkpjKa nfs.cc
block: pastebin get cFA8sc9n block.cc

then edit the nfsclient.cc file and change the 2nd line to read severid = <the id of the server with nfs.cc installed on it>

How to use
Spoilerfirst install the program as shown above then type nfsclient.cc addblock <and then the id of the block>
for example nfsclient.cc addblock 6 will add the computer with the id of 6 and associate the block software with the server
then you can use nfsclient.cc help to get a list of all of the commands you can use
any ideas or feeback would be much appreciated
Edited on 30 November 2014 - 12:52 PM
Exerro #2
Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:47 PM
I really like this idea.
Whenever I test anything to do with networking, I end up having to manually copy and paste the files over in the computer folders, but from what I can tell, this would allow me to host the APIs and stuff on a server and then get them on the clients.

As for additions, I think everything you've got in the "Future additions" spoiler seems about right.
TR1T0N_ #3
Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:52 PM
yes that is correct you could instantly download latest versions and update maybe could use with a sort of sync feature that is present within today's cloud storage
willwac #4
Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:07 PM
This seems amazing!
Here's a few suggestions of my own:
  1. Remove the ".cc" extension.

I'll cross out and add more suggestions as we go along.
TR1T0N_ #5
Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:15 PM
This seems amazing!

the .cc extension was put in place so sublime text 2 would recognise it as a lua file with cc syntax you can remove it from the file if you want it doesnt make a difference to the function of the program
willwac #6
Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:25 AM
This seems amazing!

the .cc extension was put in place so sublime text 2 would recognize it as a lua file with cc syntax you can remove it from the file if you want it doesn't make a difference to the function of the program
How'd you make Sublime text recognize .cc as a lua file, and is there anything different, syntax wise?
TR1T0N_ #7
Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:42 AM
This seems amazing!

the .cc extension was put in place so sublime text 2 would recognize it as a lua file with cc syntax you can remove it from the file if you want it doesn't make a difference to the function of the program
How'd you make Sublime text recognize .cc as a lua file, and is there anything different, syntax wise?

i used this http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/10577-cc-syntax-highlightingcode-completions-v12-sublime-text-2/ by gravityscore and added it to my sublime text installation and mapped the .cc extension to computercraft lua you just get all of the cc apis highlighted and adds auto completion for them
willwac #8
Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:47 PM
–snip–

i used this http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/10577-cc-syntax-highlightingcode-completions-v12-sublime-text-2/ by gravityscore and added it to my sublime text installation and mapped the .cc extension to computercraft lua you just get all of the cc apis highlighted and adds auto completion for them
I've never figured out how to install this.
Sorry for highjacking the topic.