This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ShadowDisruptor's profile picture

A Gamer's Dream

Started by ShadowDisruptor, 10 December 2014 - 06:33 PM
ShadowDisruptor #1
Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:33 PM
Currently in beta. Bugs and errors are possible! Report them via a PM to me labeled "Bug report"
Check this page weekly for updates.

Have you ever seen a program called Steam? It lets you download games and programs to your computer at ease. A Gamer's Dream basically does the same thing. We currently have a few programs, including nPaintPro and LuaIDE. We're always wanting more, so check out "We need more programs and games!"

How does it work?
When you install the program, it downloads a serialized table of game data as well. This data includes author, game name, pastebin, and more. When you click to install a program, it will check that data and download the game to your files. Once you're finished with the game, you can click 'uninstall' and it's gone.

Features
Spoiler
  • Download games at ease
  • Access your downloaded games in a separate list
  • Single-click uninstall
  • Custom pastebin getter (Planned)
  • Add a game to your library from pastebin (Planned)
  • Add a game based on any file on your computer (Planned)
  • Update the game list with a click of a button (Planned)
  • Pretty graphics (Expect a graphics update once all the features are implemented ;)/> )

Screenshots
SpoilerComing ASAP :)/>

Sounds awesome! How do I get it?
SpoilerType the following in your computer

pastebin get 3nfvSkYA installer
After that, run the installer!
Feel free to delete after install.

FAQ
SpoilerQ: How do I uninstall this program?
A: The installer doubles as an uninstaller. Simply re-download it and click the 'uninstall' button!

Q: Can I use this in my OS?
A: Please ask me before use. I might give you an installer that will run without graphics.

Q: Can I get my program in here?
A: Absolutely! The requirements are:
  • No malicious intent
  • Minimal bugs
  • Something you didn't throw together in 5 minutes
  • Single file
  • Doesn't require an installer
Don't be upset if your code is simple and isn't accepted.

Q: When I'm on the 'Library' or 'All programs' page, how do I get back to the main menu?
A: Click on 'Game browser' at the top left. This will take you home.

We need more programs and games!
Have a nice game or program? Do you know of a cool game or program? Comment with the pastebin link and an explanation of the program! We don't have many programs, so we're always glad to add a good one!

Does a game contain malicious content? PLEASE REPORT IT.
Edited on 10 December 2014 - 09:32 PM
SquidDev #2
Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:51 PM
Looks interesting, package managers are always useful. Just a couple of tips though:
  • Don't use shell.run. The pastebin code is pretty easy to duplicate. It is generally bad practice, but not really a biggy.
  • With your menu code you currently use loadstring and then execute it. You can bind to a variable if you define your menu after the function definitions.
  • Use locals. No seriously, your code runs quicker, looks nicer.
Other than that, I like it. What would be nice would be to support custom sources, other than one pastebin file. It might also be nice to give the ability to run custom install scripts upon install.

Also, you may want to look at using a JSON file format instead, textutils.deserialise is technically a security risk.
ShadowDisruptor #3
Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:22 PM
-snip
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will add the custom sources next release. Just a few questions/statements…
1) Everything should be local. If you see things not being called as local, they're called as local at the top (Otherwise it's an error)
2) What do you mean by "the ability to run custom install scripts upon install."
3) The data being serialized/unserialized isn't very sensitive. It's just a list of the games you can download. Is there still a security risk with that?
SquidDev #4
Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:00 PM
-snip-
  1. The functions themselves aren't local.
  2. When a program in installed it could run a script: Fetch other files, prompt for other instructions, etc..
  3. Woops! I read the code textutils.deserialize a long time ago, and forgot that it clears the environment. Sorry.
Edited on 10 December 2014 - 08:01 PM
ShadowDisruptor #5
Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:18 PM
-snip-
  1. The functions themselves aren't local.
  2. When a program in installed it could run a script: Fetch other files, prompt for other instructions, etc..
  3. Woops! I read the code textutils.deserialize a long time ago, and forgot that it clears the environment. Sorry.
From my knowledge functions are automatically local in computercraft. I could be wrong though.
Yevano #6
Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:20 PM
Wow look at all the fun games guys!

Seriously though, this seems a lot more like a package manager then a gaming platform like Steam. Even then, the packages are hard-coded into the project, making it not terribly useful for that either. I'd suggest adding things like a friends system and setting up some system for games to get added automatically through the program itself, possibly with verification needed before the game is accepted.

From my knowledge functions are automatically local in computercraft. I could be wrong though.

Nope, you have to make them local explicitly.

local function abc()

end
ShadowDisruptor #7
Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:10 PM
-snip
There aren't any games yet because it was released 2 hours ago. I need people to submit games for the code. Also, you will be able to update the game list every startup or by a button in settings. I'm not good with HTTP nor do I have the skills to make a website to handle requests, so for now it's the updateable list.

EDIT:
A friend system would be pretty useless. People who have games would have to code in point systems (For it to be any fun) Not many people would be willing to do that.
Edited on 10 December 2014 - 09:12 PM
TurtleHunter #8
Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:18 PM
-snip
There aren't any games yet because it was released 2 hours ago. I need people to submit games for the code. Also, you will be able to update the game list every startup or by a button in settings. I'm not good with HTTP nor do I have the skills to make a website to handle requests, so for now it's the updateable list.

EDIT:
A friend system would be pretty useless. People who have games would have to code in point systems (For it to be any fun) Not many people would be willing to do that.
you could use your account in pastebin, put the tables there and download them from the program, if you ask me i can pm you a simple code that does that. And if you want to add another program you could add it there or create some sort of community aproval system like steam greenlit
ShadowDisruptor #9
Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:21 PM
-snip

EDIT:
you could use your account in pastebin, put the tables there and download them from the program, if you ask me i can pm you a simple code that does that. And if you want to add another program you could add it there or create some sort of community aproval system like steam greenlit
That's the system already used. You can see a blank function "updateGameList()" in the current code. The next version already has that implemented. Thanks for the idea though :)/>

The greenlight idea sounds pretty cool, I'll think of a way I could implement that.
ShadowDisruptor #10
Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:30 AM
A sneak peak on the new graphics! If anyone has some suggestions, feel free to give them. Expect the release by Wednesday.
Saldor010 #11
Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:41 AM
Do you want my Hangman game for this?
oeed #12
Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:05 AM
Yea, it does look like more of an app store at the moment, but it's a good idea.

I can't seem to install it though. It may be because I'm using a 1.5 emulator. Taking a quick look through the code I think it's because you don't create the folder 'gamersdream', you just presume it will be created, which by the looks of it sometimes doesn't happen.

But yea, try and get some more games, there are tons around. I'm rather confused as to why you put NPaintPro and LuaIDE on here rather than just looking for a few games.
ShadowDisruptor #13
Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:08 AM
Do you want my Hangman game for this?
I'd be glad, thanks!

Yea, it does look like more of an app store at the moment, but it's a good idea.

I can't seem to install it though. It may be because I'm using a 1.5 emulator. Taking a quick look through the code I think it's because you don't create the folder 'gamersdream', you just presume it will be created, which by the looks of it sometimes doesn't happen.

But yea, try and get some more games, there are tons around. I'm rather confused as to why you put NPaintPro and LuaIDE on here rather than just looking for a few games.
I have those programs in there at the moment because they're widely popular. If you know of any good games, I'd appreciate it if you could point me to them. Also, I just added the creation to the installer. Thanks for the heads up.

"Yea, it does look like more of an app store at the moment, but it's a good idea." It's supposed to be more of an app store, so that's a good thing ;)/>
nitrogenfingers #14
Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:45 AM
I've got a couple of games in my back catalogue, if you search for them you should be able to find them along with pastebin links to the code so feel free to include those if you like.

Oh also you're of course free to use NPP but would you mind changing the logo to one a little more similar to the one I use on the splash screen? Thanks.
ShadowDisruptor #15
Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:39 PM
I've got a couple of games in my back catalogue, if you search for them you should be able to find them along with pastebin links to the code so feel free to include those if you like.

Oh also you're of course free to use NPP but would you mind changing the logo to one a little more similar to the one I use on the splash screen? Thanks.

Sure, it's a 16x6 rectangle so it might be a bit dificult
ShadowDisruptor #16
Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:45 PM
Been pretty busy but the installer and code is updated. You can now explore the new graphics, but there's still work to do. Expect the full update soon.
CORGIDOG #17
Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:18 PM
i tried downloading it and it keeps saying Failed?
H4X0RZ #18
Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:25 PM
i tried downloading it and it keeps saying Failed?
1) The paste has been removed.
2) This project is "old". You should check out something else like Strafe (AFAIK that's also a Steam like game manager)