This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
wieselkatze's profile picture

Any better ideas for registering item amounts in central server?

Started by wieselkatze, 27 December 2014 - 04:33 PM
wieselkatze #1
Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:33 PM
Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a rebuild of the Maniac Sorter from gezepi - this time with autocrafting and such stuff. It'll basically be like Applied Energistics, but with ComputerCraft and much cooler :P/>
That would also mean that it's cheaper and crafting recipes would be easier to implement ( they are just tables with either items or item groups, which act like the forge ore dictionary ).
The user would also be able to manage all the items in the system - that means giving them certain display names etc.. I'm still kinda unsure about letting the user do everything manually, as it'd be a hell of a work to get all your custom item ID's in the system. The reason for that is the fact, that all items have their own internal names in the system, as some items, e.g. wooden planks, share the same item name, but have different damage values.

Enough of that now - if you're interested in this, just answer the question in this thread :)/>

Now for my question - do you have any better ideas for registering the item amounts in the central server? For explanation: the items are stored in adjacent chests of multiple turtles - each with 5 storage and 1 exchange chest. The whole system is going to be 'cloud-based' - meaning that most of the information is stored on the central server and e.g. the crafter, terminal or mobile terminal can gather all the data needed from just one server.
My idea for now would just be, that the server, on startup, creates a list with all the turtles in its network and then sends the command for getting the item values from the turtles ( I've created a custom modem protocol for this ).
This way the server can keep track of which turtle has actually already sent its item values and after a timeout throw all the turtles out, which haven't submitted their item values.
The protocol already deals with message duplication - basically the same way rednet does.

I'd also be interested in experienced programmers, who are willing to help with this ( probably ) huge project.
The fact, that server and client ( storage module, crafting module etc. ) rely on each other, makes cooperation even more important.

~wieselkatze
cdel #2
Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:04 AM
Im not sure how to do this, however have you considered a decentralized network?
wieselkatze #3
Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:50 PM
A decentralized network would in no way simplify the work on this :D/> - all data would have to be sent to all computers for keeping them up-to-date.
Don't get me wrong - I do already have an idea of how this is going to work; I just asked if somebody had any better idea for solving the problem with all the turtles, as they all have to be checked to display all the items available.
Also I was looking for someone who could actually help me out with this :)/>
Edited on 07 January 2015 - 06:58 PM