This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
PossieTV's profile picture

GoldSlide V1.0 (Keynote/Powerpoint in Minecraft) [WIP]

Started by PossieTV, 14 January 2015 - 04:33 AM
PossieTV #1
Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:33 AM
This is GoldSlide!

Gold Slide is a slideshow making tool I have developed. What it does is basically KeyNote/Powerpoint in minecraft. It can create and edit slides as well as display slideshows on a monitor. This is mostly a teaching tool. But further developments could lead to animation software, and others.

This will be featured in CCU4!

OVER 1000 LINES OF CODE

What I added
Spoiler
  • A main menu
  • A slide creating function
  • A project creating and deleting function
  • A slide navigating function
  • An easy to use text editing system
  • Changeable background color
  • A slideshow presenting function

How it works
SpoilerIt works pretty much just by manipulating folders and text files
Each project is stored as a folder
Inside each project folder is slide folders
Inside each slide folder is individual element folders (objects that go on the slide)
Inside each element folder is three documents, element (which stores the type of element), position (which stores the position on the screen), and params (which stores the parameters necesary to put the element on the screen)

The current slide stored in a variable

The program opens the slide folder with the id of the current slide
The program then creates an array which kind of acts as a temp folder to put the elements (stored as arrays inside)
The program then goes through each element and puts it to the screen

To save it, it just replaces all the data in the slide folder with the data in the elements array

Pastebin
SpoilerHere is V1.0

http://pastebin.com/V4gAz0VZ

How to use
Spoiler
  • Click on the new project button on the main menu
  • Name the project
  • Click on the open project button and select the newly created project
  • Click add to add objects onto the screen
  • Drag to move them around
  • Click "New Slide" to create a new slide
  • Use the arrow keys to navigate slides

Screenshots!
Spoiler[attachment=2078:Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 12.40.35 PM.png]
[attachment=2079:Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 12.35.55 PM.png]
[attachment=2080:Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 12.33.03 PM.png]
[attachment=2081:Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 12.31.00 PM.png]
Edited on 23 January 2015 - 02:03 PM
MKlegoman357 #2
Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:42 PM
Nice, we don't really have a good powerpoint-alike program yet :)/>. I'd suggest packing all the info of the slides into one file so I wouldn't have to make a bunch of folders with a bunch of files in them.
PossieTV #3
Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:25 PM
Nice, we don't really have a good powerpoint-alike program yet :)/>. I'd suggest packing all the info of the slides into one file so I wouldn't have to make a bunch of folders with a bunch of files in them.

Yeah, eventually I would do that, I'm using a bunch of folders right now so I can keep it orginized while I'm developing it.
MKlegoman357 #4
Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:44 PM
I would suggest to switch to the one file structure as soon as possible, because later it might get harder to switch to it.
PossieTV #5
Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:57 PM
I would suggest to switch to the one file structure as soon as possible, because later it might get harder to switch to it.

It'll be the same ammount of difficulty no matter when I switch it, the program only access the files in only three parts of the program. The save function, the initial draw function (which returns a table to store the temp data, which is the main way this program works), and the initial file creation at the begining. Plus I'd rather have a super orginized and easy to understand file system and have to deal with switching it over, than have a compressed file system and not be able to easily read it.
Geforce Fan #6
Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:20 AM
I would suggest to switch to the one file structure as soon as you feel like it, because later it won't get harder to switch to it.
fixed that for you
the only thing he'd need to edit is a save function, changing formats is not a big deal given it puts it all in a table or variable or something after it reads it
PossieTV is right

An idea for when it's finished is, have an option to sense redstone input and switch the slide when it receives it. That way, while presenting you'd just press a button.
Edited on 17 January 2015 - 01:23 AM
PossieTV #7
Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:03 PM
I would suggest to switch to the one file structure as soon as you feel like it, because later it won't get harder to switch to it.
fixed that for you
the only thing he'd need to edit is a save function, changing formats is not a big deal given it puts it all in a table or variable or something after it reads it
PossieTV is right

An idea for when it's finished is, have an option to sense redstone input and switch the slide when it receives it. That way, while presenting you'd just press a button.

That is a great idea! I hadn't thought about that.
xXdab0mbXx #8
Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:28 PM
It doesn't work anymore. Running latest ComputerCraft.
Lupus590 #9
Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:45 PM

Describe "doesn't work", is there an error message? If so, then what is the message? If not then describe what happens.
PossieTV #10
Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:07 AM

Describe "doesn't work", is there an error message? If so, then what is the message? If not then describe what happens.

No I know what he's talking about, it's a problem with the event handling. When I made it, there was no "key_release" event. It's an easy fix, I've just been busy with my server project. I'll update it though if there is people who want it updated.