This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
CCGrimHaxor's profile picture

[GUI]Fire-Root GUI

Started by CCGrimHaxor, 16 January 2015 - 01:20 PM
CCGrimHaxor #1
Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:20 PM
Hey guys today I just wanted to show-off and ask you how the new Fire-Root GUI should look like.
One more thing I will NOT be using any external APIs like: Bedrock or NovaUI.
This is what I have for now:

Advanced version:

Non-Advanced Version:

Please tell me what I should add and what you think of the new GUI.

Thanks to:
  • InDieTasten for making a suggestion for the non-advanced version GUI
Edited on 16 January 2015 - 06:32 PM
InDieTasten #2
Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:36 PM
I would guess the "<" in the non-advanced is the cursor. Why don't you put him in front of the options. Would look more structured in my opinion. Also the N and Y, I would defenetely put them elsewhere. otherwise looks nice.
Lignum #3
Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:53 PM
Okay, looks good, but… Why not Bedrock? Or NovaUI? They will allow you to make much better GUIs in less time.
CCGrimHaxor #4
Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:22 PM
Okay, looks good, but… Why not Bedrock? Or NovaUI? They will allow you to make much better GUIs in less time.
It is a 1 file program

I would guess the "<" in the non-advanced is the cursor. Why don't you put him in front of the options. Would look more structured in my opinion. Also the N and Y, I would defenetely put them elsewhere. otherwise looks nice.

Thanks I will get on that
Lignum #5
Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:42 PM
It is a 1 file program

How's that related?
CCGrimHaxor #6
Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:47 PM
It is a 1 file program

How's that related?

Well Bedrock and NovaGUI are external apis therefor I need to make it so we would download them when the program runs. But I want the program to be only 1 file. I am not gonna make it download the file load the api run the gui and then delete the api. I reall don't see a point in this. Also NovaUI and Bedrock don't support pocket computers or even non-advanced computers. And I have to read the entire tutorial posted for them. So in that case I am making more work for myself. I made this in 1 day just to learn all the apis, do the downloading loading and deleting and on top of all that creating a custom api for the non-advanced computers just seems more work.
Lignum #7
Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:56 PM
Well Bedrock and NovaGUI are external apis therefor I need to make it so we would download them when the program runs. But I want the program to be only 1 file. I am not gonna make it download the file load the api run the gui and then delete the api. I reall don't see a point in this. Also NovaUI and Bedrock don't support pocket computers or even non-advanced computers. And I have to read the entire tutorial posted for them. So in that case I am making more work for myself. I made this in 1 day just to learn all the apis, do the downloading loading and deleting and on top of all that creating a custom api for the non-advanced computers just seems more work.

Ah, that makes sense.
CreeperWiz #8
Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:56 PM
Realy COOL!
cdel #9
Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:50 AM
Might not be the place, but what does this offer over programs such as my program carbon? I don't understand all the fuss. :P/>
CCGrimHaxor #10
Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:24 PM
Might not be the place, but what does this offer over programs such as my program carbon? I don't understand all the fuss. :P/>

Well CCRooter wasn't any diffrent but this is gonna be fully diffrent. That line made 0 sense

Your carbon has to be ran every time in order to access the rom
Fire-Root automaticlly does that for you including dynamic roms(takes up less space) + you can modify bios.lua and on top of that fire-root will have a superuser application and a custom bootloader
Lemmmy #11
Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:42 PM

Well CCRooter wasn't any diffrent but this is gonna be fully diffrent. That line made 0 sense

Fire-Root automaticlly does that for you including dynamic roms(takes up less space) + you can modify bios.lua and on top of that fire-root will have a superuser application and a custom bootloader

You never stated the difference, that's why the question was asked. How will it take up less space while using more features? Can you describe what plans you have in mind? Minified code?
CCGrimHaxor #12
Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

You never stated the difference, that's why the question was asked. How will it take up less space while using more features? Can you describe what plans you have in mind? Minified code?

I told the diffrence. and as for the less space his carbon copys the entire rom to the root directory(called a static directory). On the other hand fire-root dynamicly imports rom files instead of just copying the entire rom(called dynamic directory). A rom is so big it can take up to 1/4 of your space. I will not be minifying the code
Agent Silence #13
Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:11 PM
It imports rom files from where? And since it is still technically copying the rom, wouldn't it be the same thing basically?
cdel #14
Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:41 AM
Hmm, this has kinda motivated me to update Carbon… :P/>
CCGrimHaxor #15
Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:42 PM
It imports rom files from where? And since it is still technically copying the rom, wouldn't it be the same thing basically?

It copys rom files dynmiclly form /rom and it isn't the same thing since if we copy the entire rom it is basicly extra space. Unless the user changes every single file inside the rom directory we are not making any use of the extra space are we? We are filling it up. So the answer is no. Until the user changes every file inside the rom then the answer is yes.

Hmm, this has kinda motivated me to update Carbon… :P/>

Just to make it offical no race ok?
RoD #16
Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:51 PM
When is this going to be released?
LDDestroier #17
Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:30 PM
That's a good question, I'd love to use Fire-root. The screenshots look good.
CCGrimHaxor #18
Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

This is a really larg project but I have school, job and a sport but it is slowly comming tougether I would say in about 2-3 months

That's a good question, I'd love to use Fire-root. The screenshots look good.

Oops new screenshots comming soon I updated the gui alot + added a bootloader and a superSU application