This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
InDieTasten's profile picture

BabeLua extension for Visual Studio

Started by InDieTasten, 17 January 2015 - 12:11 PM
InDieTasten #1
Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:11 PM
Hey guys,

some of you might have experience in the microsoft world and are familiar with Visual Studio.
I've been working long with seperate editor + emulator for my own projects in computercraft and wished I'd had
something like IntelliSense(Trace) with me.

Now on April 2014 a studio started a project "BabeLua" which is an extension to Visual Studio.
Recently, to the new year, they've gotton the project far enough to be able to use all your favourite
features of Visual Studio to develop Lua code.
  • All IntelliSense functionality
  • Debugging with Breakpoints

Currently it's only available on Visual Studio 2012 and 2013, but also their "express"/community versions.

Download and more info

Install instructions:
  • Install Visual Studio 2012/13 (VS2013 Community)
  • Install Lua(Compile yourself or direct binaries)
  • Install BabeLua(download)
  • Run Visual Studio
  • Set scripts folder wherever you want
  • Set Lua exe path to the lua.exe in your Lua installation
  • Set your working path to one of your emulated computers
  • Set the command line to contain the execution parameters(for example "main.lua 1 2" would run main.lua with arguments 1 and 2)
  • Set name to whatever you want
  • Save the configuration
  • Create awesome apis and programs

in this case cc-api.lua is a file which runs the main.lua file providing a basic computercraft environment

Of course you can only work with "standard"/non computercraft functions in debugging mode.
To finally test your application for graphical bugs you can't do much more than before.
You would have to registrate all computercraft functions and tables(colour for example) and build up a similar environment to work with this in a way,
that is useful for creating computercraft applications, rather than lua applications.

But this is a huge step in my opinion and I definitely see people providing the environment needed for such(graphical) computercraft development as well.

To use the inbuild git functionality of VS you would need to create a project file which also is implemented for lua-only by BabeLua.

More awesome screenshots at the project page HERE

Let me here what you think about BabeLua
SquidDev #2
Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:52 PM
Ohh. Very, very nice indeed. I'm on Ubuntu at the moment, but I will definitely try this later. Intellisense for dynamic languages is hard. I've used JetBrains' PyCharm, and am amazed that it works as well as it does. I wonder if it would be possible to port this to Eclipse/IntelliJ/another Java based IDE so we could interact with the ComputerCraft jar itself - having an emulator built into an IDE would be very nice - I miss not being able to press F5 (or Ctrl+B or whatever) and running my script.
Edited on 17 January 2015 - 03:52 PM