This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Agent Silence's profile picture

I found something hidden inside the PaintUtils library!

Started by Agent Silence, 29 January 2015 - 04:52 AM
Agent Silence #1
Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:52 AM
There is actually a paintutils.drawBox function and a drawFilledBox function! There is no documentation on the wiki, but when I copied it directly from the CC1.6.5.jar file I found it!

The more you know!
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:44 AM
Digging through my archives, I see they first existed in CC 1.64. I guess Dan forgot to mention them!
MKlegoman357 #3
Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:41 PM
Interesting. I added both of them to the paintutils and changelog pages.
dan200 #4
Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:41 PM
This is why you should use in-game help first and foremost!
MKlegoman357 #5
Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:21 PM
This is why you should use in-game help first and foremost!

Well, I don't remember you mentioning it anywhere. It's not even mentioned in the CC.jar file, except in 'help paintutils'. :P/>
dan200 #6
Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:37 PM
That's what I meant, that's the reference you should use to find out which functions are in the API. Unlike the wiki, it's always guaranteed to be complete.
MKlegoman357 #7
Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:40 PM
I agree, but if it's not mentioned even in the changelog then how we could find these things? Going through every help file and seeking for changes? :P/>
dan200 #8
Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:44 PM
You'd find them when you needed them. When you want to do some 2d drawing, type "help paintutils" to see what functions are available to help you with this, instead of the wiki.
MKlegoman357 #9
Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:31 PM
You'd find them when you needed them. When you want to do some 2d drawing, type "help paintutils" to see what functions are available to help you with this, instead of the wiki.

The thing is that I know a lot of CC APIs without the need of any documentation and I guess I'm not the only one here. So whenever a new CC version comes out I just look at the changelog to see what was changed, maybe check the wiki too. I also check the internal Lua files, but mostly whenever some API additions are made. My point is that all additions to any APIs should be mentioned in the changelog, these box drawing functions is a good example of what things we might miss.

Anyway, one thing I noticed was that if there's a new function/API it's mostly there because it was needed by a 'native' CC program. So what made you add these two functions?
Geforce Fan #10
Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:43 AM
Secrets will be revealed
Everything you thought you knew about computercraft…
…IS PROBABLY CORRECT EXCEPT 1 OR 2 THINGS
STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT DAN200 POST TO FIND OUT
MKlegoman makes a good point though.
Is there a hidden program, or something planned?
Edited on 15 February 2015 - 04:43 AM