This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SpencerBeige's profile picture

Different programming language computers

Started by SpencerBeige, 06 February 2015 - 12:45 AM
SpencerBeige #1
Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:45 AM
well…this mod AND game was made in java. i feel like we should be able to craft lua pcs, and java pcs seperatly, however the java should be a bit harder to make, as java is more powerful. dan200, i think your an awesome mod dev, and your currently working on a gr8 update(command block pcs) but i feel that we NEED this!!!!
Lyqyd #2
Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:23 AM
This has been suggested several times, with Java, Python, etc. It would be an enormous amount of work to implement. What would be the benefit? What could the Java computers do that the Lua computers can't? How would you sandbox them without crippling some important features of the language?
SquidDev #3
Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:51 AM
No. When I started CC I thought "Why can't I write in Python?". However I love Lua now (yes, I am slightly crazy). We don't need Java, though if you really want it I recommend looking at JVML-JIT which I think is the most impressive thing on the forums.

Java, Python, whatever has been recommended before and maybe could be implemented by an external mod. I'm sure it might be possible to do something with Security Managers, but would require a rewrite of so much of CC it is not worth it for the few people who would use it.
Edited on 08 February 2015 - 10:52 AM
Cranium #4
Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:02 PM
I've changed the title of your topic to follow the actual content. Please refer to the Forum Guidelines when creating topics, as they help make your topic more relevant and interesting.
dan200 #5
Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:39 PM
Never gonna happen.