This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
DeGariless's profile picture

Pocket computer "ring" or "push notification"

Started by DeGariless, 06 February 2015 - 06:33 AM
DeGariless #1
Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:33 AM
I would like to see the ability for pocket computers to "ring" or somehow notify you that there is important information to be seen. Specifically, if a pocket computer is on your hot bar running a program and calls a command like pocket.notify() or pocket.ring(), it would play a sound and/or change the pocket computer icon to have the enchantment effect on it until the pocket computer is open and looked at. Uses for this would include but are not limited to time or location based reminders, receive notifications from base's computer monitoring system, and "texting" with friends.
SquidDev #2
Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:58 AM
I think this would be pretty cool, though I think that making a noise would not be good. One idea I saw on Idea Exchange was to turn on and off the modem. This means the red light flashes, and so draws your attention to it. You could even change the label to be some notification text.

This is obviously not what you are suggesting, I just thought it was worth considering as an alternative using existing methods.
DeGariless #3
Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:27 AM
Haha. I like the modem flash idea. Very clever. Unfortunately, That's not a thing with pocket computers. :/
Anavrins #4
Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:00 AM
Haha. I like the modem flash idea. Very clever. Unfortunately, That's not a thing with pocket computers. :/
Except that it is.

However, the fact that you're constantly opening and closing a channel mean you might loose some messages :/
dan200 #5
Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:47 PM
I might add this when i get some time.
Geforce Fan #6
Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:44 AM
I think this would be pretty cool, though I think that making a noise would not be good. One idea I saw on Idea Exchange was to turn on and off the modem. This means the red light flashes, and so draws your attention to it. You could even change the label to be some notification text.

This is obviously not what you are suggesting, I just thought it was worth considering as an alternative using existing methods.
I said that!:
Here's an idea: You know how wireless PDAs have that red light when rednet is on? Well you could flash that by opening and closing rednet and use it for notifcations! You could still send and receive signals while it's open. If you're constantly sending or receiving signals it might not work too well though, though especially if you're trying to receive them, because you might miss some of them.
Glad to hear someone mentioning the idea :)/>
The problem is, this kinda messes with rednet, so…
/support, hopefully dan2000 gets some free time :)/>
Edited on 20 February 2015 - 11:46 PM
gametechish #7
Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:13 AM
I might add this when i get some time.
WOA HE SAID IT! ITS CONFIRMED BUG HIM TILL IT HAPPENS! lol jk this would be a cool feature though you might be able to get and or make an addon that would make it blink green or something
SpencerBeige #8
Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:09 PM
i have an idea. have rednet blink on and off, then you can see theres anew notification
Wojbie #9
Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:27 PM
Problem with your solution is that you can lose rednet messages by turning rednet on and off like that.
Edited on 16 March 2015 - 11:27 AM
HPWebcamAble #10
Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:41 AM
i have an idea. have rednet blink on and off, then you can see theres anew notification

Problem with your solution is that you can lose rednet messages by turning rednet on and off like that.

Do Pocket computers even change their appearance when their modem is turned on?

On a regular computer, it is totally do-able, you just need more than one modem
Wojbie #11
Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:09 AM
Yes one pixel on front changes from black to red I believe.
gametechish #12
Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:10 AM
Yes one pixel on front changes from black to red I believe.
Its actually 2