This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cdel's profile picture

Protection Features

Started by cdel, 13 February 2015 - 06:33 AM
cdel #1
Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:33 AM
I am creating a firewall/anti-virus/computer protection style program, I am having a lot of difficulty when it comes to brainstorming features the program should include, any ideas? :)/>
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:49 AM
A script which wraps a command block as a peripheral, then uses that to generate a shell of bedrock around itself. Throw in a sensor peripheral so it can reveal itself whenever the owner is near.

Seriously though, you can't apply all that much "protection" to a ComputerCraft computer using code alone. With a real computer, software tweaks are more worthwhile, because people are rather less likely to swing a pickaxe through them.
oeed #3
Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:55 AM
I think the reason you're struggling to think of ideas is because, well, there aren't really any real beneficial ones. I haven't really seen a single useful anti-virus to date, or a virus really to that point. The only serious 'virus' as such is the string metatable hack, so apart from that I'm not sure what there is to prevent.
CCGrimHaxor #4
Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:40 AM
I have an idea for the firewall patch this:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/20159-cc-16x-can-crash-any-computer-with-rednet/
cdel #5
Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:00 AM
I got an earlier suggestion, to only allow channels designated in a config file to be allowed for modem communication, and maybe some set file access restrictions along with some bug patching.
CCGrimHaxor #6
Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:03 AM
I got an earlier suggestion, to only allow channels designated in a config file to be allowed for modem communication, and maybe some set file access restrictions along with some bug patching.

Can you make it so that you can have a blacklist and whitelist and the witelist can be enabled inside the config while anything in the blacklist just gets ignored
cdel #7
Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:03 AM
I think the reason you're struggling to think of ideas is because, well, there aren't really any real beneficial ones. I haven't really seen a single useful anti-virus to date, or a virus really to that point. The only serious 'virus' as such is the string metatable hack, so apart from that I'm not sure what there is to prevent.

It will most likely be adding a few layers of bloatware for the user, but some may appreciate that added layer of security.
cdel #8
Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

Can you make it so that you can have a blacklist and whitelist and the witelist can be enabled inside the config while anything in the blacklist just gets ignored

Sounds like a good idea, I might add it!