This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SpencerBeige's profile picture

Infinite Memory?

Started by SpencerBeige, 27 February 2015 - 01:15 AM
SpencerBeige #1
Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:15 AM
with the new command computers, we can now set blocks, as you know, imagine a system of 0's(stone) and 1's(redstone block) where you could store info!

another way is to use the command blocks as a notepad. you create a command block with a bunch of text in it, maybe a program, image, ect. and you could do this infinite times until u run out of chunks. maybe ill make a computer…based on a command computer…that can manipulate blocks…and can store info based on command blocks…
Lyqyd #2
Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:19 AM
Why not just change the configuration to increase the computer storage size limit? These methods sound like very awkward ways to store data.
valithor #3
Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:19 AM
While this might be possible it would be incredibly inefficent in terms of writing and reading. It would take (id immagine) hundreds of commands to write or read a simple sentence.
Edited on 27 February 2015 - 01:20 AM
SpencerBeige #4
Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:32 AM
mmmmm well im still gonna do it just for giggles. and it shouldn't take that much per sentence/function…a cmd block can hold alot
valithor #5
Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:31 AM
mmmmm well im still gonna do it just for giggles. and it shouldn't take that much per sentence/function…a cmd block can hold alot

The ammount the computer itself can hold means nothing… You are talking about using physical blocks to store data, and in order to read / write that data you would have to call a huge number of commands.

1 command = change 1 block

I suggest you look at this page http://searchstorage...-many-bytes-for

according to that the average word is around 10 bytes, which is 80 bits. 80 bits = 80 blocks = 80 commands to change the block. I would say the average sentence is around 10 words so that is 800 commands per sentence. As I said it is inefficent. Given the number of blocks in a chunk it might be able to store a few functions, but it would take a crazy amount of time to read it.

Your one advantage is the fact chunks have 65280 blocks in them, making it to where you can store a decent amount of data.
Edited on 27 February 2015 - 02:39 AM
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:15 AM
Assuming there are at least 256 different blocks available to vanilla MineCraft (certainly the case once you start taking metadata-based variations into account), storing one or even multiple bytes per block should be quite possible.

It's still a highly inefficient way to store data, but ComputerCraft computers in general are inefficient. The idea has an air of novelty to it.

Really though I think we need some giant QR codes.
SpencerBeige #7
Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

The ammount the computer itself can hold means nothing… You are talking about using physical blocks to store data, and in order to read / write that data you would have to call a huge number of commands.

1 command = change 1 block

I suggest you look at this page http://searchstorage...-many-bytes-for

according to that the average word is around 10 bytes, which is 80 bits. 80 bits = 80 blocks = 80 commands to change the block. I would say the average sentence is around 10 words so that is 800 commands per sentence. As I said it is inefficent. Given the number of blocks in a chunk it might be able to store a few functions, but it would take a crazy amount of time to read it.

Your one advantage is the fact chunks have 65280 blocks in them, making it to where you can store a decent amount of data.

i was talking about storing a whole sentence in one command block :}
oeed #8
Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:21 AM
This actually crossed my mind the other day. It allows for, albeit slow and inefficient, infinite range data transfer.
Edited on 28 February 2015 - 02:21 AM
TurtleHunter #9
Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:39 AM
Assuming there are at least 256 different blocks available to vanilla MineCraft (certainly the case once you start taking metadata-based variations into account), storing one or even multiple bytes per block should be quite possible.

It's still a highly inefficient way to store data, but ComputerCraft computers in general are inefficient. The idea has an air of novelty to it.

Really though I think we need some giant QR codes.

Maybe this can be a way to transfer code
ardera #10
Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:16 PM
What about using many blocks for one bit?
Maybe redstone for 0, stone for 1, dirt for 2, cobblestone for 3, etc

This would make it faster.
Lupus590 #11
Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:22 PM
This is all good until a creeper visits your databank… fsssss…. booom
Quintuple Agent #12
Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:48 PM
This is all good until a creeper visits your databank… fsssss…. booom
Create a recovery record.