This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Terra1's profile picture

Mini Computers And Uses

Started by Terra1, 21 March 2015 - 09:16 PM
Terra1 #1
Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:16 PM
mini computers are basically small computers that dont take up much space and have much smaller space than a normal computer and execute commands slower and you cannot bring up the actual terminal conventionally to manually do stuff but you can write to them using rednet and bring up the terminal via rednet and they can also use monitors. the reason i think it would be a good idea to implement them is because they allow you to make stuff like TV's and processing factories easier

also on a part that is not really allowed on the forums but i want to include it anyways they can be also used by hackers and factions to implant into wired networks and maliciously monitor commands and hack computers on the network
Edited on 21 March 2015 - 09:17 PM
AssossaGPB #2
Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:26 PM
So basically like an arduino/raspberry pi? Sounds like it would be useful, but dan200 probably thinks it doesn't really fit with the idea of computercraft. Maybe someone could add it as a addon mod.
Dog #3
Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:34 PM
I can see the appeal, but I don't see how headless computers would make anything 'easier'. They would introduce some interesting programming challenges, though.
Terra1 #4
Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:06 PM
I can see the appeal, but I don't see how headless computers would make anything 'easier'. They would introduce some interesting programming challenges, though.
what i intended by this is to allow both hackers to implant listening stations into important computer networks and to allow people to put computers in buildings like factories and processing plants where you have very little space to put large computers
Lyqyd #5
Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:25 AM
Computers already only take up one block, so I don't see how these would take up any less space, except visually. And if you're trying to hide them anyway, one block is one block.
Terra1 #6
Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:53 AM
Computers already only take up one block, so I don't see how these would take up any less space, except visually. And if you're trying to hide them anyway, one block is one block.
what i am trying to do here is make it so you can place multiple of these in the area of 1 block
they are designed to be used for both monitoring and server purposes while still being able to do other things
and maybe they can be used as an extension for the microblocks from another mod that i forget the name of (you can place multiple of them in 1 block even if there is another block in that area as long as that block doesnt take up the entire visual area)
Edited on 22 March 2015 - 12:07 AM
Terra1 #7
Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:05 AM
they are crafted like this
1 iron ingot center
2 stone buttons left and right
1 redstone bottom
1 gold top
if you want it to connect to a network cable or a wireless network put a wireless or wired modem in the place of the gold
Bomb Bloke #8
Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:11 AM
If you want to run multiple systems from the one location, considering looking into multishell.