This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Chain99's profile picture

A good way to learn Lua/any programming(indirectly)

Started by Chain99, 24 March 2015 - 01:28 AM
Chain99 #1
Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:28 AM
Well, its been a long time since I've been on here but I decided to post some resources that I have found very useful, specifically if you need help learning to program. In the time that I've been gone I've taken up electronics as a hobby ie: robotics and automation. And one platform that I've used is the Arduino(micro controller) platform. The reason I bring this up here, is because the premise of a computer craft computer and an Arduino are very similar, as far as what they do: they both control inputs and outputs and can process small amounts(respectively) of data. Once again the reason I bring this up here, is because one of the parallels of ComputerCraft and Arduino is the programming, the structure is similar enough for logical inference between the Arduino C/C++ hybrid and Lua. Here is the link to Arduino's programming resources to add to your programming vocabulary. Do not use this programming style verbatim! Although Lua is like C, the syntax is different, you don't need to structure your code as much but this can help build good habits.
This is not an advertisement!
HDeffo #2
Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:44 AM
For teaching programming I always felt alice was the best learning first language. It is a language devised by alice.org specifically created to teach people how to program. It is entirely made using a drag and drop interface with descriptive naming patterns and tooltips on everything that explains what each function event loop etc does. The language is also devised in a semi universal way I that no matter what language you go to after alice at least a few structural characteristics will be the same as they were in alice greatly reducing learning curves in jumping from one language to another. That being said a lot of people don't usually want to take the time to learn a purely educational language that has no real usage outside of learning.
Chain99 #3
Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:15 AM
For teaching programming I always felt alice was the best learning first language. It is a language devised by alice.org specifically created to teach people how to program. It is entirely made using a drag and drop interface with descriptive naming patterns and tooltips on everything that explains what each function event loop etc does. The language is also devised in a semi universal way I that no matter what language you go to after alice at least a few structural characteristics will be the same as they were in alice greatly reducing learning curves in jumping from one language to another. That being said a lot of people don't usually want to take the time to learn a purely educational language that has no real usage outside of learning.
Hence the Arduino.
apemanzilla #4
Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:45 PM
I tried Alice but I feel as a first programming language it was rather annoying to learn and use. I much preferred Scratch - it's more basic, but a LOT more popular and extremely simple. From Scratch I went pretty much straight to text-based programming in Javascript, Lua (CC Lua to be precise) and Java later.
Edited on 06 April 2015 - 01:45 PM
CrazedProgrammer #5
Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:15 PM
I started with GameMaker with drag and drop, and then the programming language for GameMaker: GML.
The documentation is excellent and it's really fun to make games with it.
After that, I learned C#, which is completely object-oriented.
And after that I learned Batch, Javascript, Java, C++ and Lua.
Edited on 06 April 2015 - 03:15 PM
Chain99 #6
Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:53 PM

I just remembered, another good language for beginners is processing.