This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
DannySMc's profile picture

xPlore File Browser

Started by DannySMc, 26 March 2015 - 06:26 PM
DannySMc #1
Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:26 PM
xPlore: File Browser

Hey guys, I am back with some new program, as I am slowly creating programs for an operating system that I am planning to make and these will all be going into the program, so for now I plan to release them as separate programs, to get some feedback. Anyway this program is a file browser with a key term search, but this is in beta, as currently you can search a key term and then either view up to 15 results on screen or if over 15 then it will be saved to a file.

Screenshots:
Spoiler[attachment=2178:1.PNG]
[attachment=2179:2.PNG]

No more space to add more images

Download:
SpoilerPastebin Link
pastebin get h226y68X xplore

Features:
Spoiler
  • Allows you to view all files on your computer,
  • Has scroll function to be able to scroll through all files on computer,
  • Browser mode at the top right,
  • Exit button in top right,
  • File path at top of screen as you browse,
  • Touch screen to either run a file or list a new folder,
  • Right click to expose current item options for that file or folder,
  • Create file or folder on small menu bar to make it easier with popup for naming,
  • Sleek and minimal design,
  • Download from pastebin or a URL straight into the current directory
  • Copy and paste functions to copy and go to another directory and paste there,
  • Advanced search (in beta) that will search all files and try and matching it, even in the string, so you can search a letter and all file and folder names with that term in it will be listed on screen, anything over 15 results will be saved to a file.
  • Back button to use your saved history to go back to another file.
  • Smooth animations.

Future Plans:
Spoiler
  • Add CCSystems online directory API, allowing for remote file browsing,
  • Add in Discover's web browsing code,
Edited on 26 March 2015 - 06:29 PM
CrazedProgrammer #2
Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:10 PM
Wow awesome!
I love these kinds of file explorers.
I have tested it for around 15 minutes and here is my review:

Pros:
- Beautiful interface
- Really useful
- Can launch applications
- Can copy, paste and rename files and directories
- Can search through files and directories with keywords
- Can download from Pastebin and URLs
- Good scrolling
Cons:
- Lots of flickering (you can use my Surface API which is optimized to remove flickering)
- Unclickable scrollbar
- Can't select multiple files + folders
- No copy option when another file is already in the clipboard for copying
- No move function (cut + paste)
- Search function indexes 20 files per second due to constant redrawing, which is way too slow
- When an error is thrown, it takes 15 seconds to restart the application (suggestion: press enter to restart)
- Doesn't simply terminate

XPlore is really useful if you've got a complex file system or if you don't want to use the shell to go through your files.
As always, great job DannySMc! :D/>
Edited on 26 March 2015 - 08:12 PM
Geforce Fan #3
Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:12 PM
I wouldn't use a buffer system to rid of the flickering. You need to find out why and fix it.

Other than the flickering, this is pretty great. Good job.
DannySMc #4
Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:31 PM
Wow awesome!
I love these kinds of file explorers.
I have tested it for around 15 minutes and here is my review:

Pros:
- Beautiful interface
- Really useful
- Can launch applications
- Can copy, paste and rename files and directories
- Can search through files and directories with keywords
- Can download from Pastebin and URLs
- Good scrolling
Cons:
- Lots of flickering (you can use my Surface API which is optimized to remove flickering)
- Unclickable scrollbar
- Can't select multiple files + folders
- No copy option when another file is already in the clipboard for copying
- No move function (cut + paste)
- Search function indexes 20 files per second due to constant redrawing, which is way too slow
- When an error is thrown, it takes 15 seconds to restart the application (suggestion: press enter to restart)
- Doesn't simply terminate

XPlore is really useful if you've got a complex file system or if you don't want to use the shell to go through your files.
As always, great job DannySMc! :D/>

+ Flickering occurs because of the auto-refresh, will just disable this and add a refresh button.
+ Scrollbar doesn't actually work, it is one of the next things to fix and make work as it is buggy, was a test that I forgot to fix,
+ I never implemented multiple files? Can do though if you think it would be useful?
+ Will have a look at multiple file selecting, never thought about it.
+ Yeah I only added copy so people could test it and make sure the copy works every time, as didn't want you to move files and it error or something,
+ This is because it errors because when checking it, it errored because it didn't yield within 10 seconds as it was indexing 2k of files, so yeah had to add something to slow it down, can fix this though, thought it would be nice to see how far it has got… (Even making it draw every 25 files, made it go slow, it is an intense process, used 450MB of RAM on my PC while doing the process (on emulator, which is 200+MB more than normal), will look into it.
+ Ahh yeah okay, I shall add the enter, it uses that so people can read the error screen.
+ No you use the x at the top right, that is a terminate problem, like all programs on a real OS. Will add a terminate event though.

Thank you though, I am glad you like it, will make it better :P/> I am proud of it, just need to add more and fix some performance bugs :P/> Will fix the flickering for you :P/> I use CCEmu at 1000 FPS, so will look into it :P/>

Thanks!

I wouldn't use a buffer system to rid of the flickering. You need to find out why and fix it.

Other than the flickering, this is pretty great. Good job.

Thanks!!

Will fix this flickering, will also add an auto-updater as well, so it is always up to date :D/>.