This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SGunner2014's profile picture

BASE 2 - Now With GUI! (1.0.3)

Started by SGunner2014, 02 April 2015 - 05:05 PM
SGunner2014 #1
Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:05 PM
BASE 2 - Now with GUI!

Hello,
This is BASE 2. It's an OS designed with the user in mind. It includes many useful functions, like a built-in file manager and a console to do any complicated tasks with. At the current moment in time, I don't recommend using this as a primary OS, because it's no-where near complete and probably has a few bugs and/or glitches in it. It's come a fair way since it was only command line-based, with many bugs and glitches, but it's nowhere near the end yet. Feel free to report any bugs/glitches/suggestions in the post.

Bugs:

None reported yet.

Download (Online installer, requires internet connection and no sites blocked):

pastebin run DGXibDGJ

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Other:

Feel free to mess around with the 'OS' and redistribute it in any form.
Edited on 02 January 2016 - 11:45 AM
SquidDev #2
Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:24 PM
This a pretty good OS by most standards. However: Bug reports!

Running cd rom/../ changes to the directory /rom/..//. From there I can then go to /rom/..//rom. I'd suggest using fs.combine between the current directory and the entered one.

Nano/Edit (Real programmers use Vim) still works from the root (nano startup in rom will edit /startup instead).

Clicking anywhere but Yes on reboot kinda breaks things a bit.

What are SCalls? 2000 seems like quite a lot.
SGunner2014 #3
Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:35 PM
This a pretty good OS by most standards. However: Bug reports!

Running cd rom/../ changes to the directory /rom/..//. From there I can then go to /rom/..//rom. I'd suggest using fs.combine between the current directory and the entered one.

Nano/Edit (Real programmers use Vim) still works from the root (nano startup in rom will edit /startup instead).

Clicking anywhere but Yes on reboot kinda breaks things a bit.

What are SCalls? 2000 seems like quite a lot.

Thanks!

Okay, I'll add that to the bug list and try and fix it :)/>

Same as above ^

Haha :P/>

SCalls are my OS's way of dealing with interaction with the 'kernel'. The number there is just for debugging purposes.
Edited on 02 April 2015 - 05:44 PM
SGunner2014 #4
Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:39 PM
New patch released. Includes minor bug fixes and a few new programs. It also includes Compress, by Creator!
Geforce Fan #5
Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:15 AM
As for that clear bug, I personally have an OS that can have a different background color in the terminal. To tackle the issue of them clearing with black, in my OS, I do something among the lines of this

local oldClear = term.clear
local didClear
function term.clear()
  didClear = true
  oldClear()
end
And then after the app finishes executing, it checks if didClear is true. If it is, it clears the screen again, and sets it to false.
Edited on 04 April 2015 - 10:15 PM
SGunner2014 #6
Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:32 PM
As for that clear bug, I personally have an OS that can have a different background color in the terminal. To tackle the issue of them clearing with black, in my OS, I do something among the lines of this

local oldClear = term.clear
local didClear
function term.clear()
  didClear = true
  oldClear()
end
And then after the app finishes executing, it checks if didClear is true. If it is, it clears the screen again, and sets it to false.

Don't worry, it was just a simple fix :P/>
Because it was an early build, I forgot to put a line of code in.

Thanks,
- Sam
SGunner2014 #7
Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:17 PM
Updated to BASE 2! Includes many new features and a GUI!
クデル #8
Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:16 AM
Rather nice OS, but could you add a Terminal program? Just a renamed version of the Lua Prompt, I hate having to:

run rom/programs/lua

Then, you can't even read the prompt input.
SGunner2014 #9
Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:05 PM
Updated, a couple more features added like user accounts, a login screen and a settings app.

Rather nice OS, but could you add a Terminal program? Just a renamed version of the Lua Prompt, I hate having to:

run rom/programs/lua

Then, you can't even read the prompt input.

I'm working on this. I want for the console to become a really useful utility in the future so I'll try and fix this bug in the next release.
SGunner2014 #10
Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:46 PM
Updated to 1.0.3

The info app includes the changelog, listing all new features added. Try out the baseForms utility! I will include a guide on how to properly use it soon.

Thanks,
- Sam
SGunner2014 #11
Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:12 PM
Update: I am aware of a glitch in the installer. I am working to fix this, and I hope that it will be resolved soon.
SGunner2014 #12
Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:43 PM
Update: The issue has now been resolved, and BASE 2 can be installed as intended.