This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Cloud Ninja's profile picture

[Alpha]New Linux-Like OS: ScaptOS

Started by Cloud Ninja, 08 April 2015 - 01:36 AM
Cloud Ninja #1
Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:36 AM
ScaptOS

UPDATE: Currently apt-get does NOT work. Working on an update for it, please stay tuned!

The GUI version will be done as soon as possible (after terminal is 90% done)

A new Linux - Like OS. Including commands like apt-get and nano and a custom kernel and bash,

this is one of the, if not THE most Linux like OS's on these forums.

Note: Very early development, please report any exploits or bugs you may find.

Note 2: Must run the installer with a disk in disk drive, otherwise it will NOT work and possibly break the computer

There will be 2 main versions of the OS: Purely command line, and GUI based

Please also if you like the project, submit programs to possibly be added to the custom ROM.

Features

Spoiler

This OS features a custom Kernel and bash

Commands pulled straight from Linux, such as:

apt-get, and nano, sudo, SU, useradd, and many more

User Permissions

User logins

Coming Soon:

GUI (will be implementing the ability to create custom desktop environments (like cinnamon, unity, etc))

Bugfixes

Etc.

Screenshots

Spoiler

To install

pastebin run 7qeJ4Hu1
Edited on 19 April 2015 - 07:00 PM
Geforce Fan #2
Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:42 PM
What's the point in this? Also, why in the world are you installing to a disk?!?!?!
Edited on 30 April 2015 - 01:14 AM
Cloud Ninja #3
Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:27 PM
What's the point in this? Also, why in the world are you installing to a disk?!?!?!
it installs our installer to the disk. it makes an install disk so you can use it on as many computers as you want.
Geforce Fan #4
Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:25 AM
I don't get it when people install an installer to disks. It would be much, much easier to just run the installer wherever you want the program to be put to, this makes everything a lot harder
Cloud Ninja #5
Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:59 AM
I don't get it when people install an installer to disks. It would be much, much easier to just run the installer wherever you want the program to be put to, this makes everything a lot harder
How does it make it harder? you run a file, and then you have a disk ready to install to any computer, as well as auto installing to the one you ran it on
TheBandit21 #6
Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:53 AM
Amazing work, I'll be waiting for the GUI based version.
Cloud Ninja #7
Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:12 PM
Amazing work, I'll be waiting for the GUI based version.
Thank you! Credit to the main coder Scoopta for the custom shell and such. Im more of just a designer and he actually makes it a reality. Although i will be coding the API for the GUI
Edited on 19 April 2015 - 07:02 PM
biggest yikes #8
Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:30 AM
Cool, but I can easily access the root password by typing "nano /dev/sda1/users/root", it would be better to maybe hash the password, or just block access to that directory?
Also, when I try to run a file I've created, it says it's not found, while in reality it's right there, in the same directory and everything.
Edited on 15 April 2015 - 10:44 PM
Cloud Ninja #9
Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:03 AM
Cool, but I can easily access the root password by typing "nano /dev/sda1/users/root", it would be better to maybe hash the password, or just block access to that directory?
Also, when I try to run a file I've created, it says it's not found, while in reality it's right there, in the same directory and everything.
Ill keep that in mind. The thing is, as root you have 100% access.
Scoopta #10
Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:02 AM
do chmod +x <filename> and then you can run it. As of right now there is a slight bug with chmod that you might notice in that it doesn't work with sudo and it will be fixed in a future patch and as far as -x it's not currently implemented.
Edited on 17 April 2015 - 01:28 AM
biggest yikes #11
Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:29 PM
do chmod +x <filename> and then you can run it. As of right now there is a slight bug with chmod that you might notice in that it doesn't work with sudo and it will be fixed in a future patch and as far as -x it's not currently implemented.
Thanks!
I wasn't signed in as root, I was signed in as "abc"! :)/>
EDIT: Apparently I was signed in as root, but I just tested it in the account "abc" and nothing's different.

EDIT 2: Another bug, if you press enter without typing anything it'll request for your password again. This is irritating when I try to use the arrow-keys, which I can't do, and then I press enter, and I have to relog in..
EDIT 3: Boom, another bug! As root, you can exit ScaptOS' shell by typing "chmod +x &#46;&#46;/&#46;&#46;/rom/programs/shell" from the root directory and typing "&#46;&#46;/&#46;&#46;/rom/programs/shell" afterwards, at which point you can go into Lua and reset things to the CraftOS standard (it doesn't function very well, because the restrictions still apply).
Edited on 18 April 2015 - 06:30 PM
Scoopta #12
Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:31 AM
Thanks!
I wasn't signed in as root, I was signed in as "abc"! :)/>
EDIT: Apparently I was signed in as root, but I just tested it in the account "abc" and nothing's different.

EDIT 2: Another bug, if you press enter without typing anything it'll request for your password again. This is irritating when I try to use the arrow-keys, which I can't do, and then I press enter, and I have to relog in..
EDIT 3: Boom, another bug! As root, you can exit ScaptOS' shell by typing "chmod +x &#46;&#46;/&#46;&#46;/rom/programs/shell" from the root directory and typing "&#46;&#46;/&#46;&#46;/rom/programs/shell" afterwards, at which point you can go into Lua and reset things to the CraftOS standard (it doesn't function very well, because the restrictions still apply).
Dude you went balls deep haha. The plans for this weekends patch assuming I have time is to completely overhaul the permission system that the OS uses to all be part of the kernel instead of bash so it should hopefully be a lot tighter and harder to root if you aren't root. Also it's interesting because you noted that you were logged in as abc…yet you're in root's shell hence the # instead of a $…did that happen by default or did you run su to switch to root?
biggest yikes #13
Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:20 PM
-snip-
Dude you went balls deep haha. The plans for this weekends patch assuming I have time is to completely overhaul the permission system that the OS uses to all be part of the kernel instead of bash so it should hopefully be a lot tighter and harder to root if you aren't root. Also it's interesting because you noted that you were logged in as abc…yet you're in root's shell hence the # instead of a $…did that happen by default or did you run su to switch to root?
I said that I was actually logged in as root as an edit in that post, but I tried it as the account "abc" and there are no restrictions, it still worked.
Edited on 20 April 2015 - 09:21 PM
Scoopta #14
Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:28 AM
-snip-
I said that I was actually logged in as root as an edit in that post, but I tried it as the account "abc" and there are no restrictions, it still worked.
Yes I know there are no restrictions because other than executable there are no permissions currently implemented but I was concerned that the shell system wasn't working right. Good to know you were root. Currently I am working on implementing the permission system and I think you'll be happy to know regardless of who you are / is / and that's final and so far I can't get out of it then again I couldn't before but I tried what you did and it doesn't work anymore so hopefully I've patched that permanently.
cyanisaac #15
Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:10 AM
Decent work so far.

Pros:
  • Does seem Linux-like, good training for using the command line on my laptop :)/>
  • No unnecessary loading screens etc.
  • Not a clone of other OSes (except for that other Linux-like OS, but that came out after this sooo… I'll let it slide. Wasn't an intentional copy.
Cons:
  • Disk installation (just run it on the computer, it's really confusing having it write the installer to a disk. Pastebin installers are all the rage, just let it work after the first time)
  • EDIT: AND WITH THAT DISK INSTALLATION COMES SOME REALLY CRAPPY STUFF ON THE DISK TO PREVENT YOU FROM MODIFYING AND DELETING FILES, AND LEAVING THE DISK. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THIS. LOL.
  • Can't seem to edit programs.
  • Seems to add unneeded complexity to the default shell, though some people may like it and others may not.
Anyways good work so far and I look forward to updates. Also… How the heck do you edit files? lol.
Edited on 10 May 2015 - 02:22 AM
Cloud Ninja #16
Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:50 PM
Decent work so far.

Pros:
  • Does seem Linux-like, good training for using the command line on my laptop :)/>
  • No unnecessary loading screens etc.
  • Not a clone of other OSes (except for that other Linux-like OS, but that came out after this sooo… I'll let it slide. Wasn't an intentional copy.
Cons:
  • Disk installation (just run it on the computer, it's really confusing having it write the installer to a disk. Pastebin installers are all the rage, just let it work after the first time)
  • EDIT: AND WITH THAT DISK INSTALLATION COMES SOME REALLY CRAPPY STUFF ON THE DISK TO PREVENT YOU FROM MODIFYING AND DELETING FILES, AND LEAVING THE DISK. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THIS. LOL.
  • Can't seem to edit programs.
  • Seems to add unneeded complexity to the default shell, though some people may like it and others may not.
Anyways good work so far and I look forward to updates. Also… How the heck do you edit files? lol.

Commenting on the cons:
Disk install: We WILL be making a way to install W/O a disk eventually, but like most OS's, you need an install disk in order to actually install, and you make that disk using another OS (Ex: making a linux disk on windows in real life)
none of the stuff on there is intended to be edited and you shouldnt be CDing into the disk
To edit its Nano X instead of edit, and to make a file executable, chmod +X FILE
No unneeded complexity, its in the style of linux and has nothing more than sandboxing and reconfig of commands to feel like linux.
Cloud Ninja #17
Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:08 AM
Update: Me and Scoopta are currently working on security flaws in the OS to make sure there are none. We are also working on fixing a few things that we've broken. We are also working on getting a repo + apt-get working!

Will edit this post once update is pushed.
Cloud Ninja #18
Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:24 AM
Update: Scoopta's computer (where all of the updated source code lies) has had a motherboard malfunction and is currently repaired. Sorry for the massive delay in updating, we have a lot to finish until we can release an updated stable build.
Creator #19
Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:03 PM
Use github, that way no fouls will happen.
biggest yikes #20
Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:21 AM
And we can get a clue in on the latest unstable release :P/>
Cloud Ninja #21
Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:35 AM
And we can get a clue in on the latest unstable release :P/>
We do use github, but we'd rather not have broken code put up for download and possibly break. Our code currently while it added stuff and fixed stuff broke other things that are crucial. We need to fix those things and until then the current release is the only release. Once we have a somewhat useable unstable build we'll release it to ease some of the anxiousness. But until we get Scooptas motherboard back, we cant do anything. However…

UPDATE: Gui is being worked on! Im working on an API that calls our kernel functions to allow people to create their own desktop environments using my API, sort of like Xserver on Debian. It will also come with a D.E pre installed so that users that dont want to make their own/use one that the community makes will be able to experience the GUI in some way. The desktop environment pre installed will resemble Mint's desktop environment.

Other News:
Looking for people to either create or submit programs to be auto-added to the repository. Apt-get is also being worked on and we want community made creations to be put into the repo. We'll allow the ability to add your own (To be added to the universal repo for others to download, as well as being able to edit the repo file and copy it to other computers in the world, for them to be able to easily download.
biggest yikes #22
Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:34 AM
We do use github, but we'd rather not have broken code put up for download and possibly break.
Make another branch which has the latest live code, so the master branch has the latest stable release.
cyanisaac #23
Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:40 PM
We do use github, but we'd rather not have broken code put up for download and possibly break.
Make another branch which has the latest live code, so the master branch has the latest stable release.

I agree with Atenefyr, branches ftw.
Cloud Ninja #24
Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:48 PM
I understand how to use github and everything. But we currently dont have a stable or even slightly stable build other than the current one allowed for download. Sorry for this inconvenience.
syfygirl #25
Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:34 PM
hey secuirity bug: cd /&#46;&#46;/ gets into the root system with the os files

secuirity bug: don't store passwords as plain text in users, use a sha-256 or sha512 encryption.

secuirity bug no file permisions/ownership
syfygirl #26
Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:45 PM
security bug: cd /&#46;&#46;/&#46;&#46;/ goes to computercraft root. now i have access to startup, json, dev, rom.
syfygirl #27
Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:38 PM
login: (no characters)
passwd: (no characters)

error login:12 attempt to index ?

logging in with no input errors out.
Cloud Ninja #28
Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:12 PM
In response to the passwords: That sort of stuff is hidden without root. Root can view anything, its how linux works. In response to the Login issue, we made a fix but again, cannot push it due to files being on Scoopta harddrive and unavailable until his motherboard is in. It will be another week before we can fix anything,
syfygirl #29
Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:23 PM
ok to the update but that is not Linux stores it's passwords it encrypts them.
Cloud Ninja #30
Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:26 AM
ok to the update but that is not Linux stores it's passwords it encrypts them.
The thing is, if you have, lets say, a windows live CD in a linux machine, you can change passwords and such very easily and get around the login system. Well, thats essentially how it works with our OS. If you live boot another OS, it WILL be able to be bypassed. The point is to not use the root user and sudo the things you need, not always have permission.
syfygirl #31
Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:54 PM
The point is that there are huge security holes in your OS.
Edited on 10 June 2015 - 01:55 PM
Cloud Ninja #32
Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:07 PM
The point is that there are huge security holes in your OS.
My point is is that theyve been taken care of but the thing is, i cant push it because of previously stated issues. Until further notice from me, we will not be pushing updates until at least 1 week from now. Stop the conversation about the security holes. They're in every OS, good or bad.
minebuild02 #33
Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:02 AM
Make a branch with live code from latest builds (Live Development), and another branch with stable releases (Stable).
biggest yikes #34
Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:06 PM
Make a branch with live code from latest builds (Live Development), and another branch with stable releases (Stable).
Isn't that what I just said?
Cloud Ninja #35
Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:18 PM
Yes, it is. Either way, im sorry it has taken us so long for an update, but we have run into issues with the code and we feel like working on other stuff, so for a little bit ScaptOS is on temporary hiatus. It will be resumed once we have an update pushed and we will attempt regular updates.
ironmountain #36
Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:29 AM
Cloud, putting this project on hiatus is one step closer to every other unix-like OS on this forum thats gone no where. Try not to be a repeat of everyone elses failures.
Cloud Ninja #37
Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:15 AM
Cloud, putting this project on hiatus is one step closer to every other unix-like OS on this forum thats gone no where. Try not to be a repeat of everyone elses failures.
Me and scoopta are currently working on an even bigger project, thats the main reason.
LewisTehMinerz #38
Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:53 AM
Does the strike-through the apt-get means it's not implemented?
Cloud Ninja #39
Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:27 PM
Does the strike-through the apt-get means it's not implemented?
Yes

Unfortunately guys, neither me nor scoopta are up for working on this specific OS anymore. Its too in depth for me to do it myself, but i will be making another OS in the meantime. Anyone who would like it may PM me and request the code from me for this. Thanks for the support guys.