This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
PixelFox's profile picture

Uh, I'd be careful about viruses, at least my virus.

Started by PixelFox, 13 April 2015 - 09:38 PM
PixelFox #1
Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:39 PM
I made a virus that bypasses the "startup" disk, that makes your computer work again.
Yeah, I found that out on accedent, I thought I could, but I couldn't, it would run the virus anyway.
It:
When the virus disk is run, it will copy the virus to computer, run the virus, and delete every file it can on the system.
When a normal disk is run, it will copy the virus to the disk, run the virus, and it do this:
It looks like nothing happens, but no matter what you type, it will always answer "No such program".

Honestly, I don't know how I made it bypass the startup disk, but, there is a "key" work, which is 107Haoll, don't ask why, that exits out of it, if that "key" word didn't exist…well, you wouldn't be able to use your computer again, but if you somehow get out of it, all of your programs you've made would be gone… Yeah. I'm making an anti-virus for it, if you install it onto your computer, it wouldn't allow the virus to run, I don't know how I'd do it, but I want to, and I'm not giving away code because I don't want people using it, if they did, that would suck, peoples computers would be bricks. and I don't wanna harm any computers.

Yeah, if someone ELSE finds out how to do that, they'd be screwed.

Uh, someone took my virus.
I gave it to them, and now my computer on my server is infected…Thanks John!!!!!!!!!!!! @_@
valithor #2
Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:40 AM
Unfortunately what you said is actually very impossible… Without modifying the rom/startup code, which you cant do from in game.

When a computer boots it runs these programs in this order, and there are no exceptions.
Bios -> Shell -> rom/startup -> autorun -> disk/startup -> startup

If you actually do think you found a way to break that order, then it would be best to send it to either dan or another member of the staff so it can be fixed.

Steps to removing the virus…

get a disk with a blank startup file.
place a disk drive next to the infected computer.
turn the computer off ( by accessing it and holding ctrl + s)
put disk in disk drive
turn computer on

congratulations the computer is now no longer running the virus and you can remove it.
Edited on 13 April 2015 - 10:42 PM
jakejakey #3
Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:08 AM
this is not an effective virus. anyone could create this.
valithor #4
Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:32 AM
this is not an effective virus. anyone could create this.

It really could be done with one line of code… The only thing he was boasting was he bypassed the disk startup, which he obviously didnt since it is not possible.
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:49 AM
attention seeking post is attention seeking. as you've been told before, we don't condone malicious code.