This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
_removed's profile picture

Best OS

Started by _removed, 14 April 2015 - 07:45 PM
_removed #1
Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:45 PM
Whats your favourite OS and why? Mine is CraftOS, due to the fact that it is simple and built in.

You can include real-life OS's as well, such as Debian or Windows.
ItsRodrick #2
Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:50 PM
NovaOS (Should we include links to the topics?)

Because it's epic. A cool and user friendly GUI, Epic Animations… etc
Edited on 14 April 2015 - 07:51 PM
_removed #3
Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:53 PM
Include what you want.
Creator #4
Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:11 PM
OmniOS, because it is my OS and I need to promote it…. Nah, actually I don't know. Windows is not bad, but I guess it is because I am accustomed to it. Else for CC Nin is epic as are Nova. OneOS is not bad but I don't get why there is such a fuss about it. I guess OmniOS will stand out in some way, if I manage to do everything I plan to. Anyway, it wont be a NDFJay copy at least.
Edited on 05 May 2015 - 10:06 AM
CrazedProgrammer #5
Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:25 PM
Windows because it has lots of options and almost every PC game is made for it.
I like the flat design of Windows 8.1, except for the Start Menu, but you can have a normal start menu with Classic Shell.
My favourite ComputerCraft OS was OneOS 1.3 when the app store still worked.
Now it's Nova Horizon because it's practical and it has a nice interface.
The only thing I don't like about it is that the multitasking is confusing.
Edited on 16 April 2015 - 05:41 PM
_removed #6
Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:39 PM
Now for my IRL OS…..

I use Windows 8.1, however, I would like to try out Linux. Altogether, I prefer Windows.
KingofGamesYami #7
Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:28 PM
My favorite CC OS is either Nova or OneOS, though I don't use either very much.

My favorite IRL OS is Windows 7, I cannot stand Windows 8 or 8.1, mostly due to the fact that the icons on my desktop reload everytime I open/close a window and windows explorer crashes if I open a folder on my desktop.
Lupus590 #8
Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:32 PM
I would like to try out Linux.

grab some VM software, and a disro disk in iso form
DannySMc #9
Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:53 PM
CC OS:

OneOS it is clean and simple, no messing around and it works! I wouldn't choose mine because I don't care enough :P/> I don't use OS's at all I literally use my own file browser and craft os as it is all contained in protected calls so idk. but yeah I guess OneOS just because the design is nice.

IRL OS:
Hmm this is a tricky one because there are a few, I like Windows 10 (for the tech preview) I like the design,
I would probably say Ubuntu GNOME with the design and how easy it is to use! I love the CLI.
MindenCucc #10
Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:30 AM
That's a hard question, because I'm using Windows 8, but any Windows exept 3.1, 95 and Vista is a piece of dirt. I like the design of Win8, but under the hood Windows is cowdirt.
I have 2 Linuxes, a Ubuntu 12.04.2 with LXDE, and a Slackware64 13.37 with KDE3(mabye 4). I like Linuxes, because I'm used to DOS, where everything is CLI-based (the "GUI"s run in console too :P/>). So my favorite IRL-OS is DOS :D/>

My favorite CC-OS is –snip–'s –snip–, even if it's indev. It has a neat shell with piping, also it's funny, that if you open a lot of taskbars, all the clocks on it tick differently :lol:/>

Edit: replaced things with –snip– for request
Edited on 01 May 2015 - 05:49 PM
FUNCTION MAN! #11
Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:24 PM
Surely Arch Linux.
Edited on 08 May 2015 - 07:25 PM
SkyCrafter0 #12
Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:41 PM
IRL: Windows 10
Ingame: Nova Horizons: Link: Nova
Lyqyd dont edit my posts bro, u can post a reply, but no editing (personal space)
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/20888-nova-horizon-v12/
Edited on 04 December 2017 - 10:10 PM
PrismaticYT #13
Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:43 AM
IRL: Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Ingame: idk really
Lupus590 #14
Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:36 PM
Lyqyd dont edit my posts bro, u can post a reply, but no editing

He probably has a very good reason for editing your post, for example shortened links are not allowed on the forums.
Bomb Bloke #15
Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:15 PM
Indeed - if you want to change the appearance of a URL, use URL tags. You should absolutely expect redirects to be removed from your posts.
Lyqyd #16
Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:54 AM
Lyqyd dont edit my posts bro, u can post a reply, but no editing (personal space)

When it's necessary to edit a post (to remove a redirecting link, for instance), it's easiest to leave a note explaining why in the post itself, as it clarifies to anyone reading why the post was modified, including the person who posted it. This practice also means that cleaning up the notification to the poster can be done by the poster themselves, once they have fixed whatever issue required the edit. The moderation team is responsible for curating the content across the site, so you should not have any expectation that your posts will be protected in any way if you do not follow both the letter and the spirit of the rules for the forums. In this case, editing your post to remove the redirecting link was one of the nicer options–a fair alternative to simply removing the post.
LDDestroier #17
Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:38 PM
I saw Lyqyd in the latest post and I thought he was gonna promote his own OS. Mhm.

My favorite CC OS is probably Opus OS. It has a damn fine UI with multitasking and impressive animations.

Favorite real OS? Ubuntu. Second favorite? Ubuntu MATE. Third? Zorin OS. That one looks cool.

…You won't see Windows on this list, even if XP was my childhood (and is the definition of "served its purpose") and 7 is not too shabby itself.
Purple #18
Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:14 PM
Windows XP SP3 hands down.
CLNinja #19
Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:48 PM
Don't really have a favorite real world OS although I'm using windows purely because i have software for school that only runs on windows.

In CC my favorite OS would have to be the one me and my friend made, Vorbani | Its a linux modeled OS with a ton of additional features (Including a compat layer to literally just run craftOS inside of a sandbox inside of the main Vorbani sandbox)
Nothy #20
Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:16 PM
My favorite CC OS is definitely Axiom OneOS.

My favorite real world OSs is probably Windows 10 and Ubuntu atm.
Dave-ee Jones #21
Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:08 AM
Windows 7 (specifically, Pro x64 SP1).

It's the easiest to work with, easiest to modify and change, doesn't blurt out ads at you every 10 seconds, doesn't track you, doesn't cry about everything and is compatible with most software these days.

ComputerCraft-wise would probably be OneOS or djOS (though I never finished djOS so has to be OneOS). OneOS was quite polished and nice. :)/>
LDDestroier #22
Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:10 PM
ComputerCraft-wise would probably be OneOS or djOS (though I never finished djOS so has to be OneOS). OneOS was quite polished and nice. :)/>
OneOS had fallen to the wayside, and that's a shame. Now the best CC OS I can think of is Opus. Check it out.
bestazy #23
Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:18 PM
I have Ubuntu and Qubes OS on my laptop, and Win10 on my desktop, mostly for games.
They each have good and bad things, and I use them differently so there's no real favorite for me.

https://onplanners.com/planners/best-academic-planners-college-students
Edited on 01 October 2019 - 07:26 AM
Piorjade #24
Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:30 PM
RL:
Arch Linux tbh, I like customizing my whole OS to how I want it to be and I like pacman more than apt-get… However, I like Linux more in general as that didn't crash my whole system while it was installing itself or destroy my wifi driver with an update so I couldn't use the wifi card anymore.

CC:
I don't really do anything with CC anymore, but I really liked OneOS. It was very feature-rich and it's sad that it's broken on new CC versions.
Edited on 21 January 2018 - 04:30 PM
SquidDev #25
Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:34 PM
I like Linux more in general as that didn't crash my whole system while it was installing itself or destroy my wifi driver with an update so I couldn't use the wifi card anymore.
Amusingly I've had far more issues with Linux and WiFi drivers than I have had on Windows. Though that was a few years ago now so I'm sure things have improved since then.
Piorjade #26
Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:17 PM
I like Linux more in general as that didn't crash my whole system while it was installing itself or destroy my wifi driver with an update so I couldn't use the wifi card anymore.
Amusingly I've had far more issues with Linux and WiFi drivers than I have had on Windows. Though that was a few years ago now so I'm sure things have improved since then.

Yeah I was pretty pissed off when Windows 10 came out and the upgrade literally let a BSOD pop up every 5 minutes, even when doing nothing.
Then when the Creators update came out, things started to work again.
Now with the Falls Creators update, my wifi card gets recognized but is unable to be used (Code: 10), great.

I did some research for a while and realized that this only happens to people with the same wifi card that use the Falls Creators Update (1702) with an AMD processor, for whatever reason. (There are some cases with Intel, but AMD is clearly used by the majority there)

Linux, on the other hand, works and always has worked. (Well except that the drivers don't come pre-installed so I have to plug one of my bad adapters in to get the drivers)
I had some issues, like that for example window movement got a bit laggy when using a window compositor and opening up a program that used OpenGL and it turned out to be a driver issue but window compositors were mainly for visual effects that were unnecessary anyway…
Edited on 25 January 2018 - 03:18 PM
LDDestroier #27
Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:32 PM
I got really angry at Windows 10 after installing it one time. There's even a forum post of me being really angry. In hindsight I was overreacting, but man did it give a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, favorite CC OS is still Opus OS.
And favorite real OS is Ubuntu MATE. All hail the MATE desktop, let us bask in its infinite glory, etc. etc.
bitcohen #28
Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

It depends on the application. I like Ubuntu for everyday use. If I'm gaming, I generally use a windows 10 as it's almost impossible to play newer games on linux. Apple's family of OS' are a nice alternative if you need an in between or you're into graphic design and the arts.

It boils down to this: go with what you're comfortable using, and what fits your application. I dont have a favorite, because they all have their flaws and benefits.
EveryOS #29
Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:09 PM
AxiomUI is a super good, um, UI?
Nothy #30
Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:01 PM
AxiomUI is a super good, um, UI?
<3