This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
CrazedProgrammer's profile picture

Strafe - Download and play games

Started by CrazedProgrammer, 18 April 2015 - 07:26 PM
CrazedProgrammer #1
Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:26 PM
Have you ever wanted to play games in a couple clicks in ComputerCraft?
Strafe is a Steam-like game distribution program where you can download and play games easily.
To install games, you simply click on the “Install Games” tab and then you click on the “Install” button of the games you want to install.
When you’ve installed a game, click on the “Downloaded Games” tab to view your local game library and then click on “Play” to play the game.
This program works on all devices that have a color display with a minimum width of 26 pixels.
You can scroll through the games with the mouse wheel or with the arrows at the right side of the screen.

Download:
pastebin get bj3qj1Pj strafe

You can currently download a total of 20 games:
– Gold Runner by nitrogenfingers
– BBTetris by Bomb Bloke
– Minecraft Chess by nitrogenfingers
– Snake Maze by nitrogenfingers
– BingoCraft by theTanco
– BBCards by Bomb Bloke
– Dodge by Thib0704
– Minesweeper by GopherAtl
– MiniatureCraft by Detective_Smith
– CCSand by CosmoConsole
– Maze3D by jesusthekiller
– Knight’s Tour by RoD
– Stacker by KingofGamesYami
– Bank Vault by nitrogenfingers
– CCOthello by KingofGamesYami
– Nano Maze by jesusthekiller
– Column Drop by nitrogenfingers
– Solitaire and Blackjack by nitrogenfingers
– Tron by PixelToast
– Building Game Test by Tag365
And one program:
– GPS Minimap by LDDestroier

Screenshots:

If you want to have your game in Strafe, it has to follow these rules:
– No absolute paths.
– No fake loading times.
– No prompts during installation.
– It has to be functional.
– And most important of all, it has to be fun.

If you have recently updated your game or if your game has been misrepresented in any way, please send me a PM.
If you want to change the banner of your game, PM me a new banner (24 x 5) in NFT, SRF or PNG (screenshot) format and I’ll change it.
Edited on 17 June 2016 - 03:23 PM
Creator #2
Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:26 PM
Could you add FlappyPixel. If you say yes, I'll finish the interface these days and notify you when it is ready for distribution.

offtopic:// First!
CrazedProgrammer #3
Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:36 PM
Could you add FlappyPixel. If you say yes, I'll finish the interface these days and notify you when it is ready for distribution.

offtopic:// First!
Yes, if you add some menus and balance the gameplay :D/>
My biggest problem with FlappyPixel is that the game is unresponsive.
When you click, it takes way too long to get higher.
And the game goes too fast, you don't have enough time to react.
Creator #4
Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:47 PM
That's the whole idea ;)/> OK, I'll do the changes ;)/>
CrazedProgrammer #5
Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:42 PM
I've added 2 new games:
- Nano Maze by jesusthekiller
- Column Drop by nitrogenfingers
CrazedProgrammer #6
Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:49 PM
I've added Solitaire and Blackjack by nitrogenfingers.
クデル #7
Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:32 AM
This is really neat, I had an idea like this a while ago, awesome to see it completed to an awesome standard. :D/>
LDDestroier #8
Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:07 PM
Ooh, add Tron by PixelToast! Pastebin is here, post is here.
LDDestroier #9
Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:36 AM
I know Strafe is used for games, but can you please add my minimap program? There are no other app stores as it seems. Pastebin: G7SmdMKD
Banner: mKKa3yQq
Joelahughes #10
Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:42 PM
You should add a achievement and leaderboard API.
CrazedProgrammer #11
Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:03 PM
Ooh, add Tron by PixelToast! Pastebin is here, post is here.
I'll make a banner for it and then I'll add it to strafe.
CrazedProgrammer #12
Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:08 PM
I know Strafe is used for games, but can you please add my minimap program? There are no other app stores as it seems. Pastebin: G7SmdMKD
I'll add it as soon as possible, but your banner is in NFT format, which is a binary file.
Pastebin doesn't support binary files, so please upload it to something like MediaFire or convert it to SRF format using the Surface API and this script:

os.loadAPI("surface")
local surf = surface.load("banner.nft")
surf:save("banner.srf", "srf")
Edited on 09 May 2015 - 06:08 PM
CrazedProgrammer #13
Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:55 PM
Added Tron by PixelToast.
Napa39 #14
Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:17 AM
This is really brilliant! I can't wait to see how popular this can get!
Creator #15
Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:25 PM
Now I even got a +1 on my Flappy Pixel post. I'll have it done by tomorrow (have to study today).

Master of procrastination, I am.
Edited on 10 May 2015 - 03:25 PM
CrazedProgrammer #16
Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:51 AM
This is really brilliant! I can't wait to see how popular this can get!
Thanks!
ExplosiveFerrets #17
Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:52 PM
This is really nice!

Could I maybe have Strafe in my upcoming OS? (may take a while before I release it)

Great Job!
CrazedProgrammer #18
Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:59 PM
This is really nice!

Could I maybe have Strafe in my upcoming OS? (may take a while before I release it)

Great Job!
Thanks!

Of course you can have it in your OS. :D/>
Edited on 16 May 2015 - 02:00 PM
Bomb Bloke #19
Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:09 AM
So I was looking at your screenshot of a pocket computer showing BBTetris in the banner, and thought to myself, "BBTetris doesn't work on a pocket computer"…

I've patched support in (v1.0.6, for your banner), but still, I don't see much point in suggesting users download scripts onto a system that outright can't run them. I suggest filtering your downloads list.

While testing Strafe itself, I also noticed that 1) it doesn't indicate which tab is selected very well (a different shade of grey behind the text would do wonders), 2) you can scroll past the end of the banner list, 3) it doesn't show any scripts from ROM as being installed (worm, adventure, etc), and 4) it doesn't pause when a script it executes has finished (meaning errors such as "don't try to run me on a pocket computer!" can't be read; I suggest a "script finished, press any key to return to strafe" prompt).
CrazedProgrammer #20
Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:10 PM
So I was looking at your screenshot of a pocket computer showing BBTetris in the banner, and thought to myself, "BBTetris doesn't work on a pocket computer"…

I've patched support in (v1.0.6, for your banner), but still, I don't see much point in suggesting users download scripts onto a system that outright can't run them. I suggest filtering your downloads list.

While testing Strafe itself, I also noticed that 1) it doesn't indicate which tab is selected very well (a different shade of grey behind the text would do wonders), 2) you can scroll past the end of the banner list, 3) it doesn't show any scripts from ROM as being installed (worm, adventure, etc), and 4) it doesn't pause when a script it executes has finished (meaning errors such as "don't try to run me on a pocket computer!" can't be read; I suggest a "script finished, press any key to return to strafe" prompt).
Thanks for the very useful feedback!
I'll add everything you said in the next update.
Edited on 17 May 2015 - 07:11 PM
Tag365 #21
Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:50 PM
Can you add this game to your list? Please note that the game's name is not final and will be changed later.
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/23153-building-game-test/
CrazedProgrammer #22
Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:05 PM
Can you add this game to your list? Please note that the game's name is not final and will be changed later.
http://www.computerc...ding-game-test/
Your game doesn't fit the requirement "No absolute paths".
It creates a CrBu folder in the root folder and that isn't allowed.
If you change it so that it creates the CrBu folder in the game's folder then I'll add it to Strafe.

It's a really promising game, can't wait for updates! :D/>
Edited on 18 May 2015 - 07:06 PM
Tag365 #23
Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:10 PM
It should now create a relative path now that I changed it. Are you using the online launcher? If so then simply run it again and you should see it is in the relative path of the currently running program.
Edited on 18 May 2015 - 07:23 PM
CrazedProgrammer #24
Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:08 PM
Added Building Game Test by Tag365.
Strafe now has 20 games!
Edited on 19 May 2015 - 07:09 PM
Tag365 #25
Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:43 PM
Thank you.
LDDestroier #26
Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:20 AM
I'll add it as soon as possible, but your banner is in NFT format, which is a binary file.
Pastebin doesn't support binary files, so please upload it to something like MediaFire or convert it to SRF format using the Surface API and this script:

When I downloaded the pastebin of the banner, it DID give me binary characters that didn't appear in the website. Try doing that, please.
CrazedProgrammer #27
Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

When I downloaded the pastebin of the banner, it DID give me binary characters that didn't appear in the website. Try doing that, please.
The banner doesn't conform to the normal banner style and the "GPS" is cut off by the download button :P/>
I've changed it and I've added your program to Strafe.
LDDestroier #28
Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

The banner doesn't conform to the normal banner style and the "GPS" is cut off by the download button :P/>

Thanks for adding it! All I ask is a minor change to the banner, just get rid of the lightGray underscores on the thing, it was a mistake to add it. Looks tacky there. Also, I updated Map to tell the user that it is, in fact, looking for a GPS server if it is started without gps access.
CrazedProgrammer #29
Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for adding it! All I ask is a minor change to the banner, just get rid of the lightGray underscores on the thing, it was a mistake to add it. Looks tacky there. Also, I updated Map to tell the user that it is, in fact, looking for a GPS server if it is started without gps access.
I've changed the banner.
Edited on 25 May 2015 - 07:08 PM
LDDestroier #30
Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:02 AM
In my free time, I made a simple-ish logo for Strafe in the PNG format, to put in the forum post. It was made with MSPAINT (which crashed many times - microsoft, amiright) and GIMP to make it shinier.

nickname912 #31
Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:18 PM
It would be cool If Strafe had an achivment system for games integrated with Strafe.
nitrogenfingers #32
Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:40 AM
I finally got around to trying this. It isn't bad, the library is pretty big. One thing I found a bit irksome was clicking on the "play/delete" text on each tile; clicking or double-clicking on the banner should take me straight to the game. Nice stuff.
CrazedProgrammer #33
Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:36 PM
I finally got around to trying this. It isn't bad, the library is pretty big. One thing I found a bit irksome was clicking on the "play/delete" text on each tile; clicking or double-clicking on the banner should take me straight to the game. Nice stuff.
Thanks!
I'll change it in the next update.

In my free time, I made a simple-ish logo for Strafe in the PNG format, to put in the forum post. It was made with MSPAINT (which crashed many times - microsoft, amiright) and GIMP to make it shinier.
Cool!
The only thing I don't like is the font.
It would be great if it had the minecraft font.
LDDestroier #34
Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:49 PM
A real problem I have with Strafe is that the store doesn't have any sorting to speak of, meaning I can't go through puzzles, action, platformers, utilities, or pseudo-3d games. So can you add some sort of sorting mechanism, or (even cooler) the ability to upload computercraft (not pastebin - at least not directly) games to Strafe directly from the computer, along with a banner, awaiting for your approval? That would be awesome…but hard to implement fully I would guess.

Cool!

Good to know what font you prefer…yeah!
I'll go redo it with more minecraft thingies. Any color schemes I need/want to follow?
ry00000 #35
Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:16 PM
This is becoming Steam! I personally LOVE Steam, so kudos to Valve and CrazedProgrammer, the former for creating the awesome game store that we all know and love and the latter for recreating it in CC.
CrazedProgrammer #36
Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:54 PM
A real problem I have with Strafe is that the store doesn't have any sorting to speak of, meaning I can't go through puzzles, action, platformers, utilities, or pseudo-3d games. So can you add some sort of sorting mechanism, or (even cooler) the ability to upload computercraft (not pastebin - at least not directly) games to Strafe directly from the computer, along with a banner, awaiting for your approval? That would be awesome…but hard to implement fully I would guess.

Cool!

Good to know what font you prefer…yeah!
I'll go redo it with more minecraft thingies. Any color schemes I need/want to follow?
Thanks for the feedback!
I'll add categories in the next update.
I can't make a program to upload games directly to Strafe because I don't have a webserver and I don't know how to do networking.
Currently, all installations go directly through pastebin (using shell commands).

I'd like the banner to be pixel-art-y (no anti-aliased lines, all pixels the same size).
I don't really want to change the color scheme.
The one you provided was good.

This is becoming Steam! I personally LOVE Steam, so kudos to Valve and CrazedProgrammer, the former for creating the awesome game store that we all know and love and the latter for recreating it in CC.
Thanks!
I also love steam :D/>
LDDestroier #37
Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:09 PM
I got a minecraft font. How's this?

Still has transparency. Eh?
CrazedProgrammer #38
Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:23 PM
I got a minecraft font. How's this?

Still has transparency. Eh?
Nice!
The - in the t is one pixel too high.
If you fix that, I'll put it on top of the forum post (with credit of course)
LDDestroier #39
Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:29 PM
I've updated my Map program a few times with different pastebins. Can you replace the existing 'GPS Minimap 1.2.4' with this new 'GPS Minimap 1.3.1'? pastebin code: x9ajKSc0 It has major updates.
Creeper9207 #40
Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:39 AM
Challenge.. make a messanger & friend system and include an in-game overlay
クデル #41
Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:13 AM
I just have two three suggestions:

1. Add some text when games are being loaded in the download section, just to show that the listing is actually being downloaded rather than a blank white screen. Same applies to the installed games, maybe some text saying "No games, install some" or something along those lines.

2. Have an error screen when a game crashes/errors rather than showing the error message than quickly redrawing the library.

3. Arrow key functionality so I can navigate with my keyboard rather than the mouse.
Edited on 10 July 2015 - 04:13 AM
Creeper9207 #42
Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:04 AM
How about a messaging/friend system and "Strafe" In-Game overlay
Konlab #43
Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:05 PM
You can try 000webhost.com, they give you free web servers with php support. The only downside is that they'll put some extra html in your php pages and somebody has to view it 10 times a month to keep the website up (which is not a problem because you have a very popular and cool program called Strafe on the computercraft forums)
クデル #44
Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:14 PM
I would recommend, x10hosting.com, they offer free plans without advertising, custom domains for free and aren't blocked by AT&T like 000webhost.
CrazedProgrammer #45
Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:16 PM
I would recommend, x10hosting.com, they offer free plans without advertising, custom domains for free and aren't blocked by AT&T like 000webhost.
You can try 000webhost.com, they give you free web servers with php support. The only downside is that they'll put some extra html in your php pages and somebody has to view it 10 times a month to keep the website up (which is not a problem because you have a very popular and cool program called Strafe on the computercraft forums)
Sorry, but I'm not active anymore with ComputerCraft, and I certainly don't have the skill to set up such a big networking task.
Thanks for the suggestions though!
Creator #46
Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:09 PM
Sorry, but I'm not active anymore with ComputerCraft, and I certainly don't have the skill to set up such a big networking task.

So you're leaving CC?
CrazedProgrammer #47
Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:16 PM

So you're leaving CC?
Yeah.
I may come back though but don't count on it.
Lewisk3 #48
Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:39 AM
Hey been working on a game for a while, using my RPG API and i was wondering if you could please add it to Strafe?

heres the installer: http://pastebin.com/7Pr4Kv32

thanks.

EDIT: just now saw the comment out you quitting computercraft :/ sorry for posting without seeing this, and it doesnt seem like im able to delete this post :(/>
Edited on 18 February 2016 - 07:43 AM
CrazedProgrammer #49
Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:11 PM
Hey been working on a game for a while, using my RPG API and i was wondering if you could please add it to Strafe?

heres the installer: http://pastebin.com/7Pr4Kv32

thanks.

EDIT: just now saw the comment out you quitting computercraft :/ sorry for posting without seeing this, and it doesnt seem like im able to delete this post :(/>
Hi Redxone,

No need to apologize, thanks for sharing your game.
Unfortunately, I am inactive with ComputerCraft for a few months now due to being busy with school and an overall burnout with programming.
I might come back with a tech demo or something like that.
The new characters in CC1.76 seem really interesting and I've thought of an interlacing solution which allows for a virtual 60fps playback on the 20fps computercraft screens.
I wish you good luck with your game :)/>

Cheers
Edited on 19 February 2016 - 07:18 PM
Bomb Bloke #50
Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:36 AM
The new characters in CC1.76 seem really interesting and I've thought of an interlacing solution which allows for a virtual 60fps playback on the 20fps computercraft screens.

Hmm? I'm kinda lost as to what you might be thinking here; as far as I'm aware there's no such limit on the displays themselves…
Siftos31 #51
Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:12 PM
Hi Crazed Programmer. I working on a os with the name SifOS X and I will have ur program in it.

my english is bad
CrazedProgrammer #52
Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:36 AM
Hi Crazed Programmer. I working on a os with the name SifOS X and I will have ur program in it.

my english is bad
That's great!
Credits are always appreciated.
Gumball #53
Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:06 PM
Could you add my new game SimpleCCRockets? You build and fly rockets. :P/>
CrazedProgrammer #54
Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:39 PM
Hey guys!

I'm thinking of making a completely revamped Strafe, let's call it Strafe 2.0 :P/>
It will have a better UI system, categories for games, chip-8 games with an emulator and an achievement/stats API (no overlays though, that's impossible, and also no friends/messaging system. I'm not going to set up a server).
Let's hope I have enough motivation to build and finish this! :)/>
If you have any suggestions, please reply.
It really helps my motivation grow

Could you add my new game SimpleCCRockets? You build and fly rockets. :P/>
Hi bluebird173,

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I didn't see this and I wasn't really active with CC.
Anyways, I can't add your game because I don't add proof-of-concepts to Strafe.
Also, the game doesn't work when I place it in anything other than the root directory.
Thanks for the effort, though :P/>
LDDestroier #55
Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:26 PM
Hey, can you add QuickDraw and Breakout to Strafe?
Sancho #56
Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:13 PM
Hey guys! I'm thinking of making a completely revamped Strafe, let's call it Strafe 2.0 :P/>/> It will have a better UI system, categories for games, chip-8 games with an emulator and an achievement/stats API (no overlays though, that's impossible, and also no friends/messaging system. I'm not going to set up a server). Let's hope I have enough motivation to build and finish this! :)/>/> If you have any suggestions, please reply. It really helps my motivation grow

Sounds good. Looking forward to it!

FYI, I tried out your script and it completely killed my server. I downloaded all available games, and now when I run strafe the server begins to lag like crazy. After a couple of minutes I can't even interact with anything anymore. I've reproduced it 3 times now, so I'm pretty sure it's Strafe. I am using ComputerCraftEdu 1.74. I will have to uninstall for now, but I'm looking forward to any fixes.
Edited on 15 April 2016 - 12:09 AM
EveryOS #57
Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:29 PM
If you add a server:
Someone mentioned 000webhost adding a piece of html. You can get rid of that by disabling analytics.
I personally, however, reccommend c9.io for testing, and heroku for hosting. The nice thing is c9.io has a linux terminal, so you can push your ruby or php app directly from c9.io to heroku.com
CrazedProgrammer #58
Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:59 PM
It's been a while, but I've added QuickDraw by LDDestroier and Doom by Xelostar to the games list.

I'm using these two games to improve compatibility and correctness in the ComputerCraft emulator I'm developing right now, CCBox.