This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ardera's profile picture

[1.4] MD5

Started by ardera, 28 June 2012 - 02:05 PM
ardera #1
Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:05 PM
It would be nice to use md5 in the next cc version, because its nearly impossible (dont know if its impossible) to decrypt the encrypted strings.
And the user has not to make an own encryption, wich is better decryptable.
Usage can be:

encryptedString = md5(toEnryptString)
MysticT #2
Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:27 PM
You can do it in lua (I already did), using the bit api. It's a little slow, but it works fine. I use it to store useer passwords in my os, but I'll change it to sha256 once I fix some bugs in it.
It would be nice to have a bit api implemented java side. It would be faster than the lua implementation.
Xtansia #3
Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:26 PM
It would be nice to use md5 in the next cc version, because its nearly impossible (dont know if its impossible) to decrypt the encrypted strings.
Usage can be:

MD5 is not encryption it is a hashing algorithm and you cannot decode/decrypt the result because of this.
MysticT #4
Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:29 PM
Well, there's ways to get the original string, or at least a string with the same hash (a collision).
Anyway, that's the point of hashing algorithms, to create hashes that can't be turned back to the original string.
Xtansia #5
Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:42 AM
Well, there's ways to get the original string, or at least a string with the same hash (a collision).
Anyway, that's the point of hashing algorithms, to create hashes that can't be turned back to the original string.

I know I was just correcting the op.
MysticT #6
Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

I know I was just correcting the op.
Yeah, I know you know :P/>/>, just saying that's the reason to use it for passwords.
Pinkishu #7
Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:20 AM
Isn't MD5 pretty broken already? Lots of rainbow tables, etc
ardera #8
Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:17 AM
Usage can be:

MD5 is not encryption it is a hashing algorithm and you cannot decode/decrypt the result because of this.

I know but you can encrypt the entered pw too and compare it with the other. MD5 is made for hashing, but I can use it for encryption too.
Queso2469 #9
Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:17 AM
I think a hash or encryption function would be absolutely great. Currently I can hack almost anything!
Pinkishu #10
Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:14 AM
I think a hash or encryption function would be absolutely great. Currently I can hack almost anything!

Um, the only way you could hack something is if someone coding sucks or they let you ctrl+t
Or if you can place diskdrives in which case it doesn't make much sense to use PCs anyway imo Oo
or ofc if they use unsecure rednet

and hash/encryption wouldn't change much about the first 2 imo
tesla1889 #11
Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:09 AM
Usage can be:

for MD5, SHA-0, and SHA-1, a simple meet-in-the-middle will decrypt it to a major degree
tesla1889 #12
Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:10 AM
to clarify, you cant avoid some data loss through collisions, but otherwise, those three hash algorithms are fairly weak.