This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Lupus590's profile picture

Trial The Open Source Requests With The Lua Code

Started by Lupus590, 27 April 2015 - 11:03 AM
Lupus590 #1
Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:03 PM
Over the course of CC's history, people have requested that it be made open source. Now I'm not requesting that the Java code of CC be made open source, but that Dan200 trials the idea with the Lua code (which is already viewable). (Mentioning which, what is the exact license of the Lua code included with CC?)

My exact suggestion is to try the idea of having CC open source (or rather the community making pull requests) by making a GitHub (or other) repository and putting the Lua code that is distributed with CC on that repository. This will allow us (the community) to send improvements to the default programs, more easily track changes to merge in our modified versions and (most importantly) give Dan200 an idea of what we will be like if we get access to the Java source.
Edited on 27 April 2015 - 11:03 AM
Creator #2
Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:25 PM
Well, that is a good idea. However take into consideration that not everyone here is good at lua nor java. And who will manage the repo? We could use coding revolution, but I really don't know.
Cranium #3
Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:33 PM
Well one thing you can do, is make an open source resource pack that works with ComputerCraft. Since Computercraft works with resource packs, and you can essentially replace the BIOS with it. I think this is the best of both worlds.
Creator #4
Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:49 PM
how do you replace the bios with a ressource pack?
Lyqyd #5
Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:34 PM
I think Cranium meant that you can replace the rom. The only Lua file resource packs cannot replace is bios.lua, but that can be worked around in /rom/startup to replace any functions the resource pack deems necessary. If the ComputerCraft Lua files were to be open-sourced, I would assume that Dan would retain control of the repo, rather than passing it off to someone else. He does already have a github account, after all.
Lupus590 #6
Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:36 PM
The point of my suggestion was for Dan to own the repo to run this trial, the suggestion was for him to test the waters with allowing us to help develop CC (even if we only have access to the lua part in this trial). If it goes well then he may be more open to letting us at CC's java code. If we give a bunch of rubbish commits, then the CC source can stay closed. It can also help him get used to managing development rather then working on the project single handedly.

Like everything in this forum category, this is just a humble suggestion.
That said though, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE [/shamelessBegging]
Edited on 27 April 2015 - 07:42 PM
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:19 PM
I definitely don't see Dan wanting to actually maintain that repo, and to be honest he'd get a lot of useless and stupid pull requests from new users who think that the changes they're making are good or actually fixing something when in fact they're not good at all.

Also Dan is really, really, really protective over his IP, those who follow him on Twitter will have noticed this. I don't see him open-sourcing the Java code any time soon, we'll probably just have to wait until he no longer wants to maintain the mod and hope that it open-sources in that event.
Cranium #8
Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:31 PM
Yeah, I agree with theoriginalbit. I think the best way to do this would be a public resource pack.
cmdpwnd #9
Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:30 PM
Well, that is a good idea. However take into consideration that not everyone here is good at lua nor java. And who will manage the repo? We could use coding revolution, but I really don't know.
lol
Creator #10
Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:51 PM
lol
Why lol?
cmdpwnd #11
Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:09 PM
use codingRevolution to host CCs lua files
Creator #12
Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:00 AM
why not? Every one can use it.
SquidDev #13
Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

I guess his point is that Dan would probably put it under his own GitHub rather than someone else's. Dan is, as previously mentioned, very protective over his code - and not unjustly so.
Creator #14
Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

I guess his point is that Dan would probably put it under his own GitHub rather than someone else's. Dan is, as previously mentioned, very protective over his code - and not unjustly so.
Well ,I guess he is not totally wrong.