This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Exerro's profile picture

BlueVille

Started by Exerro, 28 June 2012 - 04:05 PM
Exerro #1
Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:05 PM
BlueVille V 1.1.0

Added a Load/Save option and newish house (way more to come still) :P/>/>

I've been working on an rpg game (role play game (like sims)) to go with my OS and wanted to release it early to take in any suggestions

Its in its very early stages and has lots of bugs like being able to walk through walls (kind of useful) and probably loads of money glitches but its still quite fun and simple to play

tutorial
Spoileryou need to move the * to work and work twice
then you need to go to the town hall and buy a house
then you go into the house (through the door) and sleep
then play, but if your rest goes below 0 you die…watch out :)/>/>
tips:
the lottery ticket is a random number between 1 and 10 (randomnumber = math.random(1,10) is the code)
press u for inventory (to use bought items)
press backspace to exit most menus
use the arrow keys to move
still to come…
Spoileradded better house
added hygeine
added new ui
added more town centre options
added 2nd job
added more shop items

Thanks and please msg me with and suggestions

Download the game and/or the money hack at: http://bluetideos.we...m/download.html or below
koslas #2
Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:36 AM
Would I be-able to use this for my OS, I will give you credit for it?
Exerro #3
Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:34 PM
Would I be-able to use this for my OS, I will give you credit for it?
yeh sure…I'm still trying to get time to update it but ill tell you when I do
koslas #4
Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:05 AM
This game is a bit buggy so I won't include it in my OS yet
Exerro #5
Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:16 AM
oh rly? what bugs are there…I didn't notice any
koslas #6
Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:42 AM
The main one is
In the Menu screen selecting either
New Game
Load Game
etc
It says in the Top line the thing you will select when you press enter, When you are on New Game its Load Game you must go above New Game, off the selections to start a new Game.
An In-game bug is you can walk through the walls of buildings and must go to the the entrance, this can be annoying as you will end up going into the building IMAGE not hitting the wall and stopping
Exerro #7
Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:30 PM
Erm ok…I don't think I get that problem but I will look at it…I use tekkit so the cc version might be different?

Edit: Try dowloading again because you might have an old version…i downloaded the current file and it doesnt display the currently selected file and it limits you to inside the 4 options so you can't go off the menu…
SquareMan #8
Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:13 PM
I see some potential here, but only after some major bug fixes, such as inside of the house the text is all messed up and when I try to sleep I get stuck into an infinite loop. Also a lot of stuff just seems rushed and not real thought out, such as sentences not beginning with capital letters. Also inside of the code for key presses there is some optimizations that could be made, such as in,

id, key = os.pullEvent()
if key == <ASCII code here> then
do something
end

you can use the keys API and do something such as,

event, key == os.pullEvent()
if event == "key" and key == keys.down then
do something
end

Hope I helped!
Exerro #9
Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:54 PM
im not really sure about all the bugs people are reporting…it all works fine on my pc???and there isn't even a loop in the house so i dont understand how you can get stuck…it sleeps for how long you type in btw so if you type in 20000 then that wont really work
SquareMan #10
Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:14 AM
Have you tried walking through walls? Thats a definite bug that has been reported before and is definitely a problem, also instead of just using sleep(sleeptime) you could do something such as sleep 0.1 seconds per hour entered and make it so that you can only sleep up to like 10 hours by using something like

if sleeptime > 12 then
[indent=1]sleeptime = 12[/indent]
end

for making it sleep only for .1 seconds per hour you have two choices

sleeptime = sleeptime / 10

for i=0,sleeptime do
[indent=1]sleep(0.1)[/indent]
end

Hope I helped!

EDIT: I also suggest condensing some of the code into functions like drawHouse(), drawTownHall(), etc. it will help clean up your code and make it easier to read and maintain.

EDIT 2: The Title screen is also quite buggy, the selections are all messed up, did you release an outdated version of the game?
Exerro #11
Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:01 AM
no i downloaded it from here and it was all fine on my pc and about the walking through walls…im working on that. ill limit the sleep time now though
SquareMan #12
Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:12 AM
did you put the file in your .zip file or on the terminal itself from the MC save file? if you put it in your .zip folder make sure you dont have a copy of the file on your terminal or else it will run that version.

EDIT: also for the walls, there is probably better ways to do it but you could store all the walls in an array based on their position and if you're xerr and yerr variables = a wall's coordinates then make the character move back to the tile he was on before.
Exerro #13
Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:44 AM
yes i was goin to put something like that at the start and then with the movement do oldX = xer xer = xer+/-1 really not sure about the menu bug thouh, what does it look like?

and do you know how this is possible: i deleted all the save files and then went on load game and it loaded up fine, i re-ran the program, started new games, and it always came up with the same stuff, and if i save again, delete all the save files, it does it again with the new values???

also im going to start working on a new game because i've learnt so much since i made this game and its a really crap program to work with…if anyone has an idea of a game to make please tell me (it wont be half as crap as this one and will have minimal bugs, i hope)
SquareMan #14
Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:46 PM
I think i might know why some of these bugs are happening for us, you said you use tekkit, tekkit uses CC 1.3.1 and most everyone here is using CC 1.4.1 which increased the size of the screen. As for a new game, I recommend something like a simple roguelike, with some simple enemies and simple stats, such as HP and Strength or something.
ardera #15
Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:59 AM
Great Game! But what about saving things in 1 file :P/>/>
Can I include it in my OS? I will list you in the credits :D/>/>
Exerro #16
Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:48 AM
sure everyone can use it as long as you give me credits, and thanks squareman thats probably the problem, i am trying to get cc alone but it always breaks mc when i run it :L if you could help me to get it that would be amazing, and as for the game i will try that…
Exerro #17
Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:03 PM
i've started working on a new game :P/>/> its 387 lines long so far and is about 1/4 finished
if anyone has any suggestions for names that would be very useful and the game will be a medeival rpg with a town and a wilderness…the town will be a bit like this (im lazy so i will copy bugless stuff over) but still quite different and i hope there will be no bugs (fingers-crossed)
thanks