This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cyanisaac's profile picture

OpenTerminalOS is dead.

Started by cyanisaac, 02 May 2015 - 09:00 PM
cyanisaac #1
Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:00 PM
This OS is dead. No download is linked. Please lock this thread.
Edited on 13 January 2016 - 12:38 AM
biggest yikes #2
Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:45 PM
Looks nice, but if you're going to restrict access to "shell", then why not "rom/programs/shell", "./rom/programs/shell", "./shell", etc.?
Another bug, if you go into "edit" and exit "edit" the screen is no longer gray
Edited on 02 May 2015 - 09:54 PM
cyanisaac #3
Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:54 PM
Looks nice, if you're going to restrict access to "shell", then why not "rom/programs/shell", "./rom/programs/shell", "./shell", etc.?

That's something that I put in the code when I first started working on it, to prevent people from using the CraftOS shell, but what the OS will do is make "shell" point to "/OTOS/core" which is the modified shell.

I'll get rid of that now, it will be available in the nightly version likely, well, tonight.
biggest yikes #4
Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:56 PM
Looks nice, if you're going to restrict access to "shell", then why not "rom/programs/shell", "./rom/programs/shell", "./shell", etc.?

That's something that I put in the code when I first started working on it, to prevent people from using the CraftOS shell, but what the OS will do is make "shell" point to "/OTOS/core" which is the modified shell.

I'll get rid of that now, it will be available in the nightly version likely, well, tonight.
Seemed to have edited my post too late, how about this?

Another thing I'd like to see (so much feedback, I know) is a file to show the version of the OS, so people can track the version of the OS, and differentiate OTOS Nightly with OTOS Stable
Edited on 02 May 2015 - 10:00 PM
Creator #5
Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:06 AM
Can you post a list of available commands. Else, nice work.
cyanisaac #6
Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:06 AM

Seemed to have edited my post too late, how about this?

Another thing I'd like to see (so much feedback, I know) is a file to show the version of the OS, so people can track the version of the OS, and differentiate OTOS Nightly with OTOS Stable

Again I don't believe I need to block shell, since if you're trying to get to the CraftOS shell you probably know what you're doing.

The edit program will have this fix, again, I'll get it done and have it available tonight.

There is no stable version of the OS right now. there's live indev stuff, and then there's the nightly version linked here. The stable version will come when I have a lot more functionality.
cyanisaac #7
Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:12 AM
Can you post a list of available commands. Else, nice work.

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NfLvUPvC7gQwva3Y-v95_YZgavtBMrLuE8dHrcplG4E/edit?usp=sharing
sorry my os does so little right now xD I need to get to work…
biggest yikes #8
Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:23 AM
There is no stable version of the OS right now. there's live indev stuff, and then there's the nightly version linked here. The stable version will come when I have a lot more functionality.
I know..
I'm saying, in the future, when stable is released, it'll be good to have a version file to easily identify stable vs. nightly
Edited on 02 May 2015 - 10:25 PM
cyanisaac #9
Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:48 AM
Alrighty, I'm making a program that will fix all of the issues with colors being off (i.e. the edit program). Although I will definitely implement something that will fix this in the background.

You'll be able to run a program that has color issues like this: "colorfix <whatever you would normally run in the shell>"

This will set the colors to defaults, run the program, pause for 2 seconds so you can see any messages the program gives you, and then will clear the screen and put you back with normal colors.

This will be pushed to the nightly builds soon, let me go ahead and do that. This change has been pushed to the nightly builds.
Edited on 02 May 2015 - 10:52 PM
cyanisaac #10
Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:54 AM
Alrighty, pushed out a set of changes to the nightly build.

This includes:
  • removed restriction on shell
  • made shell forward to the custom shell
  • Added the "colorfix" program to fix color issues (would recommend using with edit).
  • other improvements i forgot about
If any major issues pop up let me know and I will address them as soon as possible.
Cloud Ninja #11
Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:48 AM
So realistically all it is is a locked down shell? I honestly dont see the point in that. If i wanted LuaIDE (which is what seems to be the only change other than sandboxing it) id install it myself. I also reccomend changing the standard switch command from 'std' for social reasons, because you know other people are going to give you crap for it.
biggest yikes #12
Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:45 PM
So realistically all it is is a locked down shell? I honestly dont see the point in that. If i wanted LuaIDE (which is what seems to be the only change other than sandboxing it) id install it myself. I also reccomend changing the standard switch command from 'std' for social reasons, because you know other people are going to give you crap for it.
Give him some slack, it's in development
cyanisaac #13
Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

Actually if you read… It's not a locked down shell, and won't be. You can even terminate out of it if you want. The root shell is going to be deprecated so… social reasons? Whatever you were trying to convey, will not be an issue. LuaIDE is there for convience because I really like the editor and so I wanted to make it easy to install… But better stuff will be coming soon, I need to work on the shell redesign, that should be here sometime relatively soon.
ProjectB #14
Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:29 PM
Ok, so this is only a small feature request, but could you add the ability to press your up key to run the previously run command, it's really helpful in CraftOS. In case you don't know how to do it, read on.
First you need to make a table with the previously run commands:

commandsRun = {}
Last just make sure that the read function sees the table!

input = read(nil, commandsRun)
Then add it to the table, so it can be run in the future!

table.insert(table, string)

The reason I typed out a mini-tutorial is because I just couldn't find any information on the topic at all, so I thought I would let you know how to implement it.
cyanisaac #15
Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:38 PM
Ok, so this is only a small feature request, but could you add the ability to press your up key to run the previously run command, it's really helpful in CraftOS. In case you don't know how to do it, read on.
First you need to make a table with the previously run commands:

commandsRun = {}
Last just make sure that the read function sees the table!

input = read(nil, commandsRun)
Then add it to the table, so it can be run in the future!

table.insert(table, string)

The reason I typed out a mini-tutorial is because I just couldn't find any information on the topic at all, so I thought I would let you know how to implement it.

Thanks, I will implement that whenever I work on OTOS next (probably tomorrow)
cyanisaac #16
Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:15 AM
Okay so I am going to be focusing attention on this and will be changing some stuff about it.

I am stripping out the root shell functionality since everything is unlocked anyhow. I will also be adding a theming system into the shell so you can customize the colors. These will be the most notable changes that will come soon.

Less noticeable changes:

I'm going to switch from having a nightly system to a snapshot system. This is because it's slow and painful to update the nightly pastebin. Instead you will see an update every two weeks or so if I stay on schedule. Along with this change will come an updater that will check for new versions and notify you of any new versions.

The boot loader my OS uses will also be receiving an update that will improve stuffs that you don't care about :I

I will get my code on GitHub.

Anyways expect these changes over the next one to two weeks, and thanks for the support.
biggest yikes #17
Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:12 AM

shell.run("reboot")
Ahm, hello?

os.reboot()
When downloading LuaIDE, why not run it with colorfix automatically?
If luaide2 is the real LuaIDE file, then the file luaide would be:

shell.run("colorfix luaide2")
Edited on 06 May 2015 - 12:15 AM
cyanisaac #18
Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:33 AM

shell.run("reboot")
Ahm, hello?

os.reboot()
When downloading LuaIDE, why not run it with colorfix automatically?
If luaide2 is the real LuaIDE file, then the file luaide would be:

shell.run("colorfix luaide2")

I will make note of this and implement it, but first I need to implement an improved updater so I can notify people when to update their snapshot versions.
cyanisaac #19
Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:13 PM
Alrighty so the first thing I've worked on is a bootloader (runs as the startup file). It's not very indepth but it does offer a bit more functionality than the previous one.

It will allow you to boot into CraftOS's shell in the event that you need to access that, for whatever reason. It will print out any errors that the shell runs into (hopefully). Along with these comes a handy third mode called Recovery that will allow you to repair the system, reset the computer etc.

This should be available in its entirety with the first snapshot-type update I'll push out hopefully this week. This will not be included in the last nightly update, which will simply add a notifier to the updater (so you know when the S1 update is available).
Edited on 06 May 2015 - 06:13 PM
Creator #20
Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:43 PM
You sound very professional: snapshot, nightly.

Can't you do everything in CraftOS that you would be able to do in Recovery?
cyanisaac #21
Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:25 PM
You sound very professional: snapshot, nightly.

Can't you do everything in CraftOS that you would be able to do in Recovery?

Thanks, I like sounding professional :D/>.

To answer your question about recovery mode, it will (at first, if implemented for the first snapshot) allow for easy reinstallation so you don't have to grab the Pastebin ID again. Eventually however it will (if I can wrap my head around it) find issues with the system using some sort of error handling, and it will then use that to attempt to repair the issueous files. Eventually, maybe.

And of course if you are an *advanced* user you can jump into CraftOS with the bootloader and hack together a solution yourself. It's meant for unexperienced ComputerCraft users… And of course for my own experimentation.

Anyways I'd also like to add that the S1 (snapshot 1) update will be available hopefully this weekend as I try to get everything done with it. The nightly builds are not really nightly hence the name change lol.
biggest yikes #22
Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:32 PM
OpenTerminalOS 15w19a. It's perfect! (Year 2015, Week 19, first release of the week)
cyanisaac #23
Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:30 PM
OpenTerminalOS 15w19a. It's perfect! (Year 2015, Week 19, first release of the week)

Hehe. I think it's just going to be a S followed by a number (S1, S2, S3 etc.)
cyanisaac #24
Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:34 AM
Update: S1P1 has been pushed out as a hotfix
  • Version file now closed after reading it.

OpenTerminalOS Preview Edition S1 has been released!

This update includes…
  • A largely incomplete bootloader that can boot into CraftOS, and loads in the new API.
  • A largely incomplete new API.
  • A largely incomplete new theming engine that isn't even implemented into the whole shell yet (should be complete for the shell and the edit program)
  • A replacement edit program that is the same as the stock one, but includes recoloring based on the theme config.
  • New config directory, with config for the theme.To customize this simply replace the values with the desired color decimal code.
  • A notification when new updates are available. This is determined when I update a version file.
As you can see it is mostly internal changes right now. I promise soon there will be more functionality to the OS, but hey, at least now you can theme it (sorta) right? Hehe.

Anyways thanks for your support, and enjoy this brand new update.

If you encounter any bugs with this snapshot please let me know and I will release a small fix for it. Also be sure to submit feedback. Thanks!
Edited on 10 May 2015 - 12:04 AM
cyanisaac #25
Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:16 PM
The next update will focus on internal changes, so I apologize in advance for the lack of new features. I promise it's worth it!
Joelahughes #26
Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:56 PM
Looks awesome! Going to try it when I can.
biggest yikes #27
Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:03 PM
so many version-detection changes from S1 to S2 ;-; (yes I've been stalking the live code)
cyanisaac #28
Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:18 PM
so many version-detection changes from S1 to S2 ;-; (yes I've been stalking the live code)

Yup. Making sure it doesn't crash if it's not loaded by my bootloader. In fact it's likely that the structure of the code will change for S2 - the "core" will become what loads the current shell (eventually will be named the rollback shell) - that way it can load different interfaces for the shell (mainly the Flight shell)

And I've been tossing the Flight shell name around a bit, that's going to be in S3… And it's gonna be good. :)/>
cyanisaac #29
Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:14 PM
There's a lot of school projects going on so there will be delays for updates, and it's not going to be as consistent. Three English projects :-(
Creator #30
Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:18 PM
Which grade are you in?
cyanisaac #31
Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:34 PM
Which grade are you in?

9th grade. Also I've found time for doing OTOS development so I guess I'll be able to do it on the side (during weekends only tho)
Edited on 16 May 2015 - 09:34 PM
cyanisaac #32
Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:24 PM
So I am going to be introducing Recovery Mode to OpenTerminalOS this coming update. It will allow you to perform specific tasks that will help to repair the OS in the event that you dun goof. Although until I make a modular installer it's not going to be very indepth, gahd I hate rewriting programs, but anyways it's mostly a framework for the future.

It also will provide a way to switch into the dev branch easily if you so choose. Although I would never ever ever recommend switching to the dev branch because I brick and break stuff constantly.

I shall put up screenshots later once I get it looking better :)/>
cyanisaac #33
Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:34 PM
S2 will include the following changes, more may be added:
  • Recovery Mode with Refresh, Reset, and Uninstall functions. (YOU CAN ALSO SWITCH FROM SNAPSHOT TO DEV AND VICE VERSA WITH IT)
  • ls now can take paths! but if you use -a to show hidden files it won't work, need to rewrite ls. Again.
  • OTOS's internal API now has warn, error, and notify functions.
  • Colors have been reworked again. I need to implement theming, if not for S2 I will get it done for S3.
  • Internal lockaccess program. THIS IS ONLY USED FOR BLOCKING STUFF FOR TECHNICAL REASONS. I DO NOT BLOCK ANYTHING BUT RECOVERY (in the shell) RIGHT NOW.
  • More code cleanup, ie goodbye shell if-else chain :D/>
  • EDIT: luaide will be batched in as the program not a mirror installer.
  • EDIT: Made luaide exit with proper colors.
I might have missed some stuff.

For S3 my goal is to make:
  • THEMING ENGINE AND THEMER PROGRAM.
  • Modular (aka can download specific packages) installer.
  • Modular recovery mode capabilities (to do repairs that don't take forever to download on slow connections).
  • GITHUB.
  • Some actual bloody improvements to the shell that aren't constantly changing rethemes.
:D/>

EDIT: OTOS S2 will be pushed to the snapshot ring on Saturday, May 23, 2015 from 9am to 9pm Pacific whatever time, depending on if and when I have internet.
Edited on 21 May 2015 - 01:45 PM
Creator #34
Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:07 PM
EDIT: OTOS S2 will be pushed to the snapshot ring on Saturday, May 23, 2015 from 9am to 9pm Pacific whatever time, depending on if and when I have internet.

This line. Else nice ideas
cyanisaac #35
Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:24 PM
Alrighty, I am going to be pushing out S2. There's no theming engine yet, and recovery mode cannot reset right now. I believe theming will wait until S3, and resetting will also wait. But at least S3 will have features (hopefully).

So anyways don't install right now, wait for just a bit.

EDIT: S2 has been released with the aformentioned limitations above. If there are any bugs let me know, and you now have a recovery mode to use in case you break stuff lol. Don't try to break recovery mode tho :/ lol
Edited on 23 May 2015 - 07:25 PM
cyanisaac #36
Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:46 AM
Version S2P1 released, which includes the following changes:
* Fixed installer file that caused a crashloop - sorry

If you were affected by this, do recovery mode then refresh. I again apologize for this blunder. :/
Edited on 24 May 2015 - 02:46 AM
cyanisaac #37
Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:15 PM
More announcements:

There is now a subreddit for OpenTerminalOS, which will act as yet another discussion hub. You can find that at http://reddit.com/r/otos.

As well, I am extremely excited to announce that ProjectB [Bowie R.] will be joining the OpenTerminalOS team. Please give him a warm welcome. He's going to be helping build stuff for OpenTerminalOS, and you will see the first batch of his programs soon (after S3 though, most likely S4).

And sorry about all of these internal changes updates. I really want to get to features but I want to make stuff work well. Anyways, onto the new installer!
Edited on 24 May 2015 - 04:16 PM
Creator #38
Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:15 PM
This OS is actually going places, not where all the NDF Jay startup programs went - oblivion.
ry00000 #39
Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:24 PM
Where's OTOS [ME] Managed edition???
biggest yikes #40
Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:35 PM
Where's OTOS [ME] Managed edition???
"A version of OpenTerminalOS SE with robust management, profiles, and more so you can lock down and customize computers. Useful if you are distributing computers to people and you want them to be customized. Not intended for personal use." http://www.reddit.co...openterminalos/

Also, for anyone wanting to switch from the snapshot ring (standard release pushed out weekly) to the dev ring (constantly updated), here's how:

For S2 and below: reboot the computer, but hold R instead of waiting for the bootloader. Type "DEV" in the prompt that appears, and then type "refresh".
For S3 and above: reboot the computer, but hold R instead of waiting for the bootloader. Make sure the pointer is in front of "IN-DEV" or "Development", and press enter. After that, make sure the pointer is in front of "Refresh", and press enter.

In S4 and below, all files in the folders created by OTOS will be deleted, so make sure you make a backup of your system files if you have anything in those folders.
Edited on 04 July 2015 - 02:30 PM
ry00000 #41
Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:35 PM
Ah. So I'll be able to disable some functions in OTOS Managed?
cyanisaac #42
Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:46 PM
Ah. So I'll be able to disable some functions in OTOS Managed?

That's the idea, although I'm not sure whether I'll end up making that or if I'll make add-ons be able to do that.

Also development will resume today, it's been in a bit of a hiatus because finals but luckily the difficult finals are over so I can get back to working on the OS.
cyanisaac #43
Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:23 AM
This OS is actually going places, not where all the NDF Jay startup programs went - oblivion.

Mind elaborating? I've heard the term "NDF-Jay clone" but don't really know where it comes from…
biggest yikes #44
Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:26 AM

Mind elaborating? I've heard the term "NDF-Jay clone" but don't really know where it comes from…
A person named NDF-Jay made an OS tutorial series on YouTube, and a lot of people watched it and copied his OS almost exactly, but each "clone" has small differences but the same code. Now, "NDF-Jay clone" OSes are spread all over the forums, all very similar to the original NDFOS.
Edited on 03 June 2015 - 10:29 PM
cyanisaac #45
Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:34 PM
A person named NDF-Jay made an OS tutorial series on YouTube, and a lot of people watched it and copied his OS almost exactly, but each "clone" has small differences but the same code. Now, "NDF-Jay clone" OSes are spread all over the forums, all very similar to the original NDFOS.

Yikes, that practically makes me cringe, who would want to copy another person's code and follow a tutorial to do it, especially a video tutorial lol
biggest yikes #46
Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:36 PM
Yikes, that practically makes me cringe, who would want to copy another person's code and follow a tutorial to do it, especially a video tutorial lol
dreams of making a popular OS like OneOS or Nova Horizon, and having no skill to do such :P/>

Either way, Creator is right, this OS is nowhere near an NDF-Jay clone and is really getting somewhere with development.
Edited on 04 June 2015 - 03:46 PM
cyanisaac #47
Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:57 PM
dreams of making a popular OS like OneOS or Nova Horizon, and having no skill to do such :P/>

Either way, Creator is right, this OS is nowhere near an NDF-Jay clone and is really getting somewhere with development.

Haha thanks. I feel like I'm not personally giving this enough attention, but if you guys really think this is going well, well then I guess I should step up to my personal goals and get this OS going.

That being said, there won't be an update this weekend either (sorry) because it's been busy the last few weeks. But I'll make sure to give you guys one hell of an update next weekend :D/>.

Anyways, to work!
cyanisaac #48
Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:50 PM
Also a PSA: The dev branch is my inefficent method of testing my code as I make changes, so I can push it from the editor to pastebin to all of my computers. It's not even really a build, it's like tiny little microtesting.

That being said NEVER USE IT UNLESS YOU ARE EXPECTING INCOMPLETENESS OF MAJOR THINGS AND STUFF BREAKING CONSTANTLY! It really is not intended to be published, I link it so that I can stay true to calling it open source.
biggest yikes #49
Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:46 PM
Oh, by the way, your website linked at http://pastebin.com/u/cyanisaac ending with ".tk" redirects to a scam site.
Edited on 04 June 2015 - 07:46 PM
Pyuu #50
Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:53 PM
-snippy-

I wish there were screenshots. It's simply too easy to implement and so efficient in advertising!
Welcome to CC (though I could say this about myself).

I saw something a bit concerning when I looked at your pastebin.
It looks like the entire OS is file by file downloaded off of Pastebin, hmm.
This could pose some issues, especially for server owners whose HTTP APIs are enabled,
the reason for this is: If one program sends enough requests to pastebin or the server operator goes to pastebin too much, then pastebin won't be available for that server because Connection Timesout (temporary ban), meaning people who repeatedly use your OS will end up causing Pastebin to throw a hissy fit, and no one wants that :c

So, here is what I'm gonna suggest (for faster connection times / live updates / good stuff).
Dropbox

On this, you get an account for free with free storage, a nice handy dandy app that uploads stuff automatically without having to go to pastebin, and a splendid upload / download speed and a Public download link that allows you to link everything you have there and connect to CC.

Isn't that just wonderful?

Edit: It would appear instead of updating your main post, you seem to be replying to your own thread with the update information. So this post may not even be relevant to you anymore.
Edited on 04 June 2015 - 08:55 PM
Creator #51
Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:03 PM
Or you could use Compress to pack it into one file and then automatically unpack it once it is downloaded.
biggest yikes #52
Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:06 PM
If we're on the topic of better file hosting, Github and packaging tools such as Compress (haha didn't ninja me Creator) and Zippy are fabulous aswell
Edited on 04 June 2015 - 09:08 PM
cyanisaac #53
Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:59 PM
Oh, by the way, your website linked at http://pastebin.com/u/cyanisaac ending with ".tk" redirects to a scam site.

Ah frack I forgot to renew that free .tk domain, let me go update that :(/> i liked that domain too.

-snippy-

I wish there were screenshots. It's simply too easy to implement and so efficient in advertising!
Welcome to CC (though I could say this about myself).

I saw something a bit concerning when I looked at your pastebin.
It looks like the entire OS is file by file downloaded off of Pastebin, hmm.
This could pose some issues, especially for server owners whose HTTP APIs are enabled,
the reason for this is: If one program sends enough requests to pastebin or the server operator goes to pastebin too much, then pastebin won't be available for that server because Connection Timesout (temporary ban), meaning people who repeatedly use your OS will end up causing Pastebin to throw a hissy fit, and no one wants that :c

So, here is what I'm gonna suggest (for faster connection times / live updates / good stuff).
Dropbox

On this, you get an account for free with free storage, a nice handy dandy app that uploads stuff automatically without having to go to pastebin, and a splendid upload / download speed and a Public download link that allows you to link everything you have there and connect to CC.

Isn't that just wonderful?

Edit: It would appear instead of updating your main post, you seem to be replying to your own thread with the update information. So this post may not even be relevant to you anymore.
Or you could use Compress to pack it into one file and then automatically unpack it once it is downloaded.
If we're on the topic of better file hosting, Github and packaging tools such as Compress (haha didn't ninja me Creator) and Zippy are fabulous aswell

WOWZA LOTS OF FEEDBACK AND THIS TOPIC IS HOT! (lel)

But yes this was going to be a change I made, although it will stay file for file in the dev pastebin, I will be making it into a single-file installation (though I guess I'll need to figure out another system for my file integrity check thing :/ maybe that'll wait for S4).

And thank you guys for really following my OS, it's warming my heart :D/> and kicking me in the butt a bit to actually develop something :P/>
biggest yikes #54
Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

Ah frack I forgot to renew that free .tk domain, let me go update that :(/> i liked that domain too.
if it redirects to a scam site when it expires, you really shouldn't have even made it
But yes this was going to be a change I made, although it will stay file for file in the dev pastebin, I will be making it into a single-file installation (though I guess I'll need to figure out another system for my file integrity check thing :/ maybe that'll wait for S4).
Cool stuff ^^
And thank you guys for really following my OS, it's warming my heart :D/> and kicking me in the butt a bit to actually develop something :P/>
That's the point of this forum, to help each other develop :P/>
Edited on 05 June 2015 - 03:24 PM
cyanisaac #55
Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

if it redirects to a scam site when it expires, you really shouldn't have even made it
Cool stuff ^^
That's the point of this forum, to help each other develop :P/>

I didn't know it would redirect to a scam site, lol.
cyanisaac #56
Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:00 AM
By the way, for all your noncolored computer needs try OOS by ProjectB. I know this might seem like an unwarranted shoutout, but basically I like this OS. It's simple and makes very few changes, is very stable (unless Bowie goofs up :P/>), is made by my best friend, works great on noncolored computers, AND doesn't muck with stuff it shouldn't. It has a serious lack of attention, so while you're waiting for me to cook up S3 why don't you go and give it some looooove? :D/>
biggest yikes #57
Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:26 PM
By the way, for all your noncolored computer needs try OOS by ProjectB
One of my older programs, NoColor, serves this exact purpose
Edited on 06 June 2015 - 01:26 PM
cyanisaac #58
Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:43 PM
By the way, for all your noncolored computer needs try OOS by ProjectB
One of my older programs, NoColor, serves this exact purpose

No, it doesn't do that (I think). OOS adds in highlighting of lines and stuff, making it easier to read.
biggest yikes #59
Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:49 PM
No, it doesn't do that (I think). OOS adds in highlighting of lines and stuff, making it easier to read.
I'm saying NoColor would allow OTOS to be used on non-colored computers, not saying O would be better with NoColor. :)/>
cyanisaac #60
Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:43 PM
I'm saying NoColor would allow OTOS to be used on non-colored computers, not saying O would be better with NoColor. :)/>

Yeah, I don't think I'll include support for this, mainly because OpenTerminalOS is not really optimized for it. More likely is that I'll release a modification of O[OS] to have some of the features OpenTerminalOS has (mainly, also, OpenTerminalOS has theming. B&amp;W Sorta breaks that xD)

EDIT: ALSO I don't like startup hijacking xD, this will be broken by the filesystem shield later on :P/>
Edited on 06 June 2015 - 09:44 PM
cyanisaac #61
Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:47 AM
OpenTerminal S3 Prerelease Update Post

Changes confirmed will be in OpenTerminalOS S3:
  • New line highlighting, themable (thanks ProjectB, for the excellent solution. This is ripped straight from OOS lol.)
  • New API with file integrity checker, will have more, called coreTools (thanks again to ProjectB for the excellent checkFile() function)
  • New recovery mode (thanks ProjectB for the excellent Recovery Mode)
  • Recovery Mode will load from internet instead of being installed, no reason to have it installed since it can only cause issues.
  • Shell is now capable of running background processes, and is set up to do so.
  • Startup has been made harder to crash critically.
  • OTOS API will now generate configs on the fly, and verify that all necessary configs for the API to load are in orderly shape.
  • Installer will no longer wipe config files.
  • Themes added, colorful theme is no longer the default.
  • Installer will use compress and will come in a few files instead of many.
  • Booting into CraftOS removed, unlike OpenTerminalOS N1 there is no reason to boot into that now. If you want to use CraftOS you can uninstall OpenTerminalOS via Recovery Mode, or you can run /rom/programs/shell at any time in OpenTerminalOS.
  • API Changes, including replacing directly accessing variables with using OTOS.fetch(keyString)
  • Sleep program has been massively improved and fixed up for S3.
There's probably some stuff I am forgetting that I will edit in later… Also since I am still working on it the list will grow.

EDIT: Most likely OTOS S3 will be released today, I'm gonna put some of the more advanced stuff into S4 since a lot of it will have to deal with filesystems and stuff, and I should build that alongside addons.
Edited on 07 June 2015 - 03:19 PM
biggest yikes #62
Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:21 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'll include support for this, mainly because OpenTerminalOS is not really optimized for it. More likely is that I'll release a modification of O[OS] to have some of the features OpenTerminalOS has (mainly, also, OpenTerminalOS has theming. B&amp;W Sorta breaks that xD)

EDIT: ALSO I don't like startup hijacking xD, this will be broken by the filesystem shield later on :P/>
When addons come out I'll create a "NoColor Addon" probably which is optimized for that.
cyanisaac #63
Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:03 PM
Alrighty, S3 has been released. I wanted to do a bit more but I think that it's a sufficent number of changes that have been made.

If you are upgrading from S1P1 you will need to delete the file /OTOSconfig/theme before updating! Otherwise you will need to reinstall.
cyanisaac #64
Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:51 PM
LuaIDE will not be included in OpenTerminalOS S4, I think it A. takes too much storage and B. is a bit too glitchy.

I will see what to do about including a better editor. I want something closer to the stock editor (That has improvements past the stock editor, of course) that won't take too much space. I'll see what I can include.
Edited on 10 June 2015 - 05:02 PM
Creator #65
Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:56 PM
Edit+?
cyanisaac #66
Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:38 PM
Edit+?

Looking closely at that one, although the way it handles data saving is a bit annoying and it has some stuff that allows it to update etc. So if I end up using that I will definitely be going in and making changes to how it saves data, etc.

EDIT: Data saving of program config not of edited files.
Edited on 10 June 2015 - 05:38 PM
cyanisaac #67
Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:48 PM
Major issue in S3 has been found, attempting to "update" will send you into the dev branch when you are on the snapshot branch.

I will work on a version S3P1 and will correct this issue. I apologize for this massive blunder.

If you are on S3 DO NOT UPDATE. You will also need to manually "refresh" using Recovery Mode to get S3P1 when it comes out. I apologize for this.
Edited on 10 June 2015 - 06:49 PM
cyanisaac #68
Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:58 PM
S3P1 is released. In order to get to it you will need to refresh from recovery mode - I apologize for the inconvenience.

S3P1 adds in a critical fix that fixes the fact that the update program will lead you into the dev branch.
Edited on 10 June 2015 - 10:49 PM
biggest yikes #69
Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:58 AM
In version names, the S means "snapshot", so what does the P mean?
Also, you really need to implement that Reset option in recovery mode, if the OTOSconfig/theme file is corrupt then it's impossible to recover without uninstalling and reinstalling the OS (or terminating the OS before it bluescreens or while it boots)
Edited on 10 June 2015 - 11:03 PM
cyanisaac #70
Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:04 AM
Also, you really need to implement that Reset option in recovery mode, if the OTOSconfig/theme file is corrupt then it's impossible to recover without uninstalling and reinstalling the OS (or terminating the OS before it bluescreens or while it boots)

P stands for patch, and yes reset is coming in S4. Sorry about that :(/>.

EDIT: And believe me I'm going to be working on an entire new Recovery Mode that should be able to diagnose such issues, hopefully soon.
Edited on 11 June 2015 - 03:37 AM
biggest yikes #71
Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

EDIT: And believe me I'm going to be working on an entire new Recovery Mode that should be able to diagnose such issues, hopefully soon.
You should also probably prevent terminating the boot screen and terminating the BSOD.
FUNCTION MAN! #72
Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:43 PM
You should deprecate/remove OTOS.fetch because it's stupid
it's really just that

stupid.

So here's a solution! (actually it's up there)

--#stuff and things go here, like
_G.otos = {}
otos.version = "mything"
--#after every declaration is done,
local _nativesmt = setmetatable --#override the setmetable function to allow for 'read only' metatables
function _G.setmetatable(t, mt)
   if getmetatable(t) ~= nil and getmetatable(t).isReadOnly then --# is there a read only metatable installed?
		  error('attempt to set metatable of read only table') --# there is?! you can't override it, son
   else
		   return _nativesmt(t, mt) --#there isn't. so we call the native set metatable method to set the metatable of a table
   end
end
setmetatble(otos, { --# set otos' metatable
   ['__newindex'] = function(t,k,v) return end, --# __newindex is the meta-method that controls creation of indexes, effectively making this a read only table
   ['isReadOnly'] = true --# set that read only flag we check for in setmetatable to 'lock down' the metatable
}
--[[
# of course, there are still some disadvantages, such as
# getmetatable(otos).isReadOnly = false, that would allow for the metatable to be overriden
# still, this is better then having to use OTOS.fetch
# of course, you can change the variable name from "otos" to "OTOS" or to "myConfigurationAndStuff", the name is just an example
# you could also wish to make a function to make a table read only
]]--
Edited on 11 June 2015 - 07:43 PM
cyanisaac #73
Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:03 AM

You should also probably prevent terminating the boot screen and terminating the BSOD.

Yup. You may see some random strange text that says Preview Edition. It means this stuff is in my OS.
(but seriously thank you guys for the feedback and support).
cyanisaac #74
Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:50 AM
You should deprecate/remove OTOS.fetch because it's stupid
it's really just that

stupid.

So here's a solution! (actually it's up there)

--#stuff and things go here, like
_G.otos = {}
otos.version = "mything"
--#after every declaration is done,
local _nativesmt = setmetatable --#override the setmetable function to allow for 'read only' metatables
function _G.setmetatable(t, mt)
   if getmetatable(t) ~= nil and getmetatable(t).isReadOnly then --# is there a read only metatable installed?
		  error('attempt to set metatable of read only table') --# there is?! you can't override it, son
   else
		   return _nativesmt(t, mt) --#there isn't. so we call the native set metatable method to set the metatable of a table
   end
end
setmetatble(otos, { --# set otos' metatable
   ['__newindex'] = function(t,k,v) return end, --# __newindex is the meta-method that controls creation of indexes, effectively making this a read only table
   ['isReadOnly'] = true --# set that read only flag we check for in setmetatable to 'lock down' the metatable
}
--[[
# of course, there are still some disadvantages, such as
# getmetatable(otos).isReadOnly = false, that would allow for the metatable to be overriden
# still, this is better then having to use OTOS.fetch
# of course, you can change the variable name from "otos" to "OTOS" or to "myConfigurationAndStuff", the name is just an example
# you could also wish to make a function to make a table read only
]]--

There are no plans on changing that at this time. I think OTOS.fetch() works well, considering you're supposed to load those values into your own local variables at the start of your program :P/> you only have to do it once.
Edited on 12 June 2015 - 03:50 AM
cyanisaac #75
Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:11 AM
OpenTerminalOS is going on hiatus right now, I've got other projects to work on and need a break from the internet in general.
Preview builds are still accessible, this shouldn't be a long break at all, but yea got other stuffs to do

EDIT: nvm break is done
Edited on 13 June 2015 - 11:29 PM
cyanisaac #76
Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:43 PM
I am holding a vote on this topic to see if I should port over autocomplete. It might not work with line highlighting, but I figured I would let you guys decide if I should do it or not.

I will collect responses for a couple of days and then make a decision.
cyanisaac #77
Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:21 PM
Addons will be pushed back to S5. Sorry about that - I just need to get the new mechanics of OTOS working (they're going to be awesome and complex).

Also, please don't use the dev builds - I push OS breaking updates there constantly because it's how I test stuff live. PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM UNLESS YOU ARE FINE WITH YOUR COMPUTERS NOT WORKING PROPERLY OR SUCKING FOR HOURS OR DAYS ON END POTENTIALLY. It is not a beta. It is not an alpha. It is live developed code.
cyanisaac #78
Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:07 PM
Okay, I am closing off the poll that I had put out concerning autocomplete. These were the results:

I will do testing on this to see how simple and well I can implement it - and how it will interact with the line highlighting (I think it will very likely break it, or at least make it annoying). This will only be as an option and NOT enabled by default. If it's too sucky I just won't implement it and I'll find a better solution.
cyanisaac #79
Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

It begins…
Also S4 is extremely glitchtastic because I have parallels within parallels within parallels and it's sort of struggling to keep up at a normal pace (if you could imagine). I still need to optimize it heavily, so I deeply apologize for this.

EDIT: No that is not a start menu, the Flight shell will never open up past that bottom bar. That's just something saying it's a WIP.

There was a "force close" button there but attempting to implement it made the entire OS freeze. I think I need to move the infoBar over to the core instead of running it from startup… There will be major changes from what you see and see in code now.

EDIT 2: inb4 use coroutines, this is planned if Parallel fails me enough, I will manually manage tasks.
Edited on 19 June 2015 - 09:31 PM
cyanisaac #80
Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:44 AM
I am also in the works of testing something new. It locks startup from being modified from within the OS. You can still modify OTOS and OTOSconfig, but you will still have your startup file no matter what. It prevents all modification from what I can tell.

This will require me to rewrite the updater and that means there will likely be a patch released to help bridge to this new system. But once this is done it means that scripts will not be able to disable OTOS without manually going into recovery mode and uninstalling - making it near impossible to brick the OS.

Would you guys like this feature? Or should I keep it simpler by just keeping it unlocked?
FUNCTION MAN! #81
Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:04 PM
So you overrode fs.isReadOnly to return true when path == startup?
emh
Creator #82
Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:21 PM
You can override fs.open to return a table with all the standart indexes, but they won't be doing anything.

As for why is read-only ain't a good idea: I can edit edit to not care about is read only.
ProjectB #83
Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:21 AM
You can override fs.open to return a table with all the standart indexes, but they won't be doing anything.

As for why is read-only ain't a good idea: I can edit edit to not care about is read only.
How it would work (if it's implemented) is it would override the fs api to prevent modification of startup. (fs.delete("startup"), fs.open("startup", "w") would not work) and also changing fs.isReadOnly() to acknowledge startup as being read only. So although you could modify the edit program to ignore that read only file, it would just error every time you tried to save your new startup.
Edited on 20 June 2015 - 10:21 PM
Creator #84
Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:37 AM
you do something like:

local oldOpen = fs.open
function fs.open(path,mode)
  if path == "startup" then
    return {
	  read = function() end,
	  write = function() end,
	  and so on
    }
  else
    return oldOpen(path,mode)
  end
end
cyanisaac #85
Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:33 PM
you do something like:

local oldOpen = fs.open
function fs.open(path,mode)
  if path == "startup" then
	return {
	  read = function() end,
	  write = function() end,
	  and so on
	}
  else
	return oldOpen(path,mode)
  end
end

Yup, although I went the extra mile to block other stuff as well for the cleanest possible solution.

local oldOpen = fs.open
local oldIsReadOnly = fs.isReadOnly
local oldDelete = fs.delete
function fs.open(path, mode)
  if path == "startup" or path == "/startup" then
    if mode == "r" then
	  return oldOpen("/startup", "r")
    else
	  OTOS.error("Access denied! Returning Read Mode...")
	  return oldOpen("/startup", "r")
    end
  else
    return oldOpen(path, mode)
  end
end

function fs.isReadOnly(path)
    return true
  else
    oldToReturn = oldIsReadOnly(path)
    return oldToReturn
  end
end
function fs.delete(path)
  else
    oldDelete(path)
  end
end

You can view this at http://pastebin.com/ZNDtfPiV if you are curious about how it works or want to try it.

It does however prevent modification to startup without a special way of doing things. I need to make it so that startup will boot into an update file when it exists and that will run Compress (or in the dev build make it change startup after it reboots. Yeah it becomes more complex.)

I am probably not going to implement this in S4 but I do think that this is a good idea to implement. Let me know what you guys think.
cyanisaac #86
Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:08 AM
So I am going to make a bit of an announcement. OpenTerminalOS S4 is nowhere close to done.

This is because there is going to be a lot of internal changes that will improve the performance (the dev builds are currently very unoptimized and the multitasking system is crap), improve compatibility (the OTOS api is not designed for all-around compatibility and is more designed for compatibility with the shell), and improve the experience. I am also going to be making it less buggy and make it work better all-around so that it is more secure, which will pave the way for Addons/Management Addons (Profiles).

Also if you are wondering why these updates take so long, it's because I am not working hard enough! So I should probably stop posting and get back to work!
Creator #87
Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:14 AM
So I am going to make a bit of an announcement. OpenTerminalOS S4 is nowhere close to done.

This is because there is going to be a lot of internal changes that will improve the performance (the dev builds are currently very unoptimized and the multitasking system is crap), improve compatibility (the OTOS api is not designed for all-around compatibility and is more designed for compatibility with the shell), and improve the experience. I am also going to be making it less buggy and make it work better all-around so that it is more secure, which will pave the way for Addons/Management Addons (Profiles).

Also if you are wondering why these updates take so long, it's because I am not working hard enough! So I should probably stop posting and get back to work!

You say that. Look at the post I've spent writing instead of finishing OmniOS.
cyanisaac #88
Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:39 PM
Okay, so I have officially removed terminate. Once S4 comes around, control+T will not work.

WHAT? CYANISAAC IM GONNA FIND YOU AND MURDER YOUR FACE, I HATE YOU! SCREW YOU AND YOUR OPPRESSING ANTI-TERMINATEALIST WAYS!!!

Now hang on a moment. I've come up with a better way to terminate thanks to the wonderful help of ProjectB, and of course his OS I keep stealing things from, O2.

A better way to terminate? How so?

Well, FEAST YOUR EYES!

That grayed out 'X' button is your force quit button. And get this, it can terminate any program.

WHOA, ANY PROGRAM?!

Yup, even if a program blocks termination, they won't be able to block this button. This button will close anything.

But it's grayed out!

Haha, yep. But once you open an application, this button becomes active.

Click it, and the application will close itself. It's that simple.

Holy s*** that's amazing.

Yup.

This is currently in the dev builds but I do not recommend using the dev builds for anything more than looking at what's coming up. They constantly break (unlike O's dev builds) and they are super unstable. I promise I will get S4 out to you ASAP.
Edited on 26 June 2015 - 09:43 PM
cyanisaac #89
Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:53 AM
A bit of a bug: If you are on the dev build, don't use the force quit button when textutils is doing a paged scroll (pagedTabulate or similar). This will cause major issues with terminal scrolling.

This issue has been fixed. If you want to find the fix for this, please look at the link below.

http://www.computerc...al-bug-with-cc/
Edited on 27 June 2015 - 04:23 PM
cyanisaac #90
Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:39 PM
Comcast is having a major partial outage blocking both Pastebin and GitHub (along with many many many many other sites) (although not ComputerCraft), so I will not be able to make any progress on OpenTerminalOS until this gets fixed. Knowing Comcrap, it's likely going to be a few days before this is fixed. Sorry guys :(/>
Creator #91
Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:26 PM
Comcast is having a major partial outage blocking both Pastebin and GitHub (along with many many many many other sites) (although not ComputerCraft), so I will not be able to make any progress on OpenTerminalOS until this gets fixed. Knowing Comcrap, it's likely going to be a few days before this is fixed. Sorry guys :(/>

Comcrap - apparently it is the least popular company!
cyanisaac #92
Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:51 PM
Snapshot 4 (S4) of OpenTerminalOS Preview Edition has been released. As usual, here's a (largely incomplete) changelog:
  • Flight has been implemented into the shell, and the Info Bar has been added.
  • SuperTerminate button has been added into the Flight bar. This can kill any program regardless of setting. This is subject to change, we may add an option to override this (whatever the case, it is much cleaner than terminate).
  • Enable/Disable line highlighting option has been enabled.
  • Some tweaks to the OTOS api, please look into the API to make sure your programs aren't affected.
  • LuaIDE has been removed, too glitchy and too large. I will look for a suitable replacement for S4P1 or S5.
  • Misc. other changes.
Between now and S5 there will be S4P1. This update will mainly be changing the update program to allow for branches (preview preview edition basically confurmed). There will also be misc. changes as always. This is subject to change however. We shall see. Just gonna get started with S5.

Enjoy OTOS S4!
Edited on 30 June 2015 - 03:16 AM
cyanisaac #93
Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:19 AM
There's a lot of neat APIs that have been implemented into 1.74 that I really want to try out. However I know that a lot of you don't have ComputerCraft 1.74 yet, so I think I am going to hold out for a bit.

I'd also like to state that I will definitely be making an OS for Dan's new project, whether that be standalone or for ComputerCraft, and plan on making it integrate with OpenTerminal (assuming it uses a similar programming language). I have nothing but excitement for it.
oeed #94
Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:30 AM
I'd also like to state that I will definitely be making an OS for Dan's new project, whether that be standalone or for ComputerCraft, and plan on making it integrate with OpenTerminal (assuming it uses a similar programming language). I have nothing but excitement for it.

May the games begin. :P/>
cyanisaac #95
Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:41 AM
So I think S5 is going to be potentially buggier in the long run because I will be overriding a lot of functions so that my OS can dynamically handle things (for instance, exiting a program and going back to the shell with proper background color - this should be able to be done automatically.

I will also be implementing Startup Lock, which will secure the startup file from any modification while the OS is on. You can still remove OTOS using Recovery Mode, and of course if you have a startup override in a disk drive I can't do anything about that :P/>. It will mean that the updater will get more complex, however that was going to be the case anyways.

S5 is going to take a while to make, I really want to get everything set for a release sometime in the near future. It's going to have a lot of changes and stuff, though I promise I will not just be making internal changes. This is going to be much closer to release than S4.

Anyways I think you guys will enjoy what I have coming, and I hope you are all excited.
cyanisaac #96
Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:01 AM
S5 will require CC1.74. There's a lot of good APIs and additions that I think will make my OS even better. Sorry if this negatively affects you guys.
biggest yikes #97
Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:33 PM
S5 will require CC1.74. There's a lot of good APIs and additions that I think will make my OS even better. Sorry if this negatively affects you guys.
it means you can't use CCEmuRedux for it which will make a lot of people very sad
nevermind

you should probably make a backup of the user's folder when they run reset, I would've lost everything of my project had I not have had a backup in my game :P/>
also, another bug: if the user runs "shell" it'll pop an error saying there is no version file. maybe install the version file again when running shell?
Edited on 04 July 2015 - 02:54 PM
cyanisaac #98
Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:22 PM
it means you can't use CCEmuRedux for it which will make a lot of people very sad
nevermind

you should probably make a backup of the user's folder when they run reset, I would've lost everything of my project had I not have had a backup in my game :P/>
also, another bug: if the user runs "shell" it'll pop an error saying there is no version file. maybe install the version file again when running shell?

I may make a backup system, the recovery mode as it is is very temporary and not very good.

Also the version file thing is intentional, if you are not running the core from the bootloader it will disable functionality. This is meant for later functionality, it is built to keep the OS secure. It will eventually disable web services and stuff like that if it can't find the version file and verify. (As of right now it's just displaying a message. I have not decided what path I want to take with OS security other than locking down the startup file).

Also IDK what to do with addons. They may come, they may not come. Who knows.
cyanisaac #99
Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:20 PM
S5 has been set back a bit because there is a mysterious bug that I cannot seem to figure out the source of or fix. I am rolling S5 back and starting over.
cyanisaac #100
Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:08 AM
EDIT WOO 100th post on the thread! Most of the posts are mine though lol.

Okay so some progress on S5 has once again been made.

First of all there have been several important optimizations made to the OS. Background processes now call coroutine.yield() instead of sleep(0), improving performance across the OS. I will do my best to make the background processes as least laggy as possible.

Second of all minor aesthetic changes have been made including the changing of the force quit button's text to a lowercase 'x'.

Third of all I have implemented several brilliant themes. I will show you the new ones.

Meet the new default theme, Glacier. Based on a more modern clean-slate look:

We've also added a new colored theme, for all you ladies out there.
… hello are any ladies out there? Whatever.

And finally we've added a sleek new theme called Jet Black that speaks for itself.

The next thing to worry about is to get these themes packaged up and ready for distribution. That shouldn't take too long though. It is in the config program now.

I am also going to be putting a themer program in that will let you set theme files easily. However I still need to implement that.
Edited on 05 July 2015 - 10:36 PM
Alekso56 #101
Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:23 AM
*Picture of purple theme*
Wtf is with that pink and purple shit?
Edited on 05 July 2015 - 10:24 PM
cyanisaac #102
Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:35 AM

Art.
Alekso56 #103
Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

Art.

i can't even read that without taking a second look.
cyanisaac #104
Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:24 AM

Art.

i can't even read that without taking a second look.

It's pure genius I swear.

On a serious note, the Pony theme is in reference to an app that I helped in its development process by my dad years ago. It's an inside thing more than anything else, so just ignore it.
cyanisaac #105
Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:57 AM
I'm not going to give too many details as I am currently working on this still, but I will be making a package management system for distributing software made for OTOS. It will run through pastebin, and you will be able to submit packages to me for download that I can add to the repository.

More details will be coming towards the end of S5 and for S6, hopefully S6 will be close to release.
biggest yikes #106
Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:29 PM
I'm not going to give too many details as I am currently working on this still, but I will be making a package management system for distributing software made for OTOS. It will run through pastebin, and you will be able to submit packages to me for download that I can add to the repository.

More details will be coming towards the end of S5 and for S6, hopefully S6 will be close to release.
Oh boy, now I can submit my old crappy card games! /insidejoke
cyanisaac #107
Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

Oh boy, now I can submit my old crappy card games! /insidejoke

I will be accepting anything that is properly optimized and compatible with OpenTerminalOS. I would recommend submitting your card games to Strafe for ComputerCraft though, it might belong there more. :P/>.
biggest yikes #108
Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:58 PM
I will be accepting anything that is properly optimized and compatible with OpenTerminalOS. I would recommend submitting your card games to Strafe for ComputerCraft though, it might belong there more. :P/>.
I was joking ._.
cyanisaac #109
Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:07 AM
I am putting OpenTerminalOS on hold for right now. Not sure if I am going to continue work on it, I am deciding between working on it, rewriting it, or replacing it with some addons and hacks I'll be making for O[OS] in just a bit. For now though I am taking a break.
biggest yikes #110
Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:50 PM
O and OTOS have totally different styles, not sure how you could transform O into something like OTOS
Yarillo #111
Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:12 PM
It would be nice if it supported non-colored terminals :(/>
cyanisaac #112
Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:10 AM
OTOS is coming back out of hiatus. Going to keep the project going as I couldn't easily hack into O, lol. I should have S5 out by this weekend (hopefully).
biggest yikes #113
Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:35 PM
Going to keep the project going as I couldn't easily hack into O, lol.
Or could you?
Spoiler[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAxOavW_afQ[/media]
In that video, you can see the "test malware" injected code into the main O process, effectively "hacking" into it.
Maybe you could do something like this if you really wanted to hack into O.
Not that you should, of course.
Edited on 15 July 2015 - 07:37 PM
cyanisaac #114
Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:30 PM
Going to keep the project going as I couldn't easily hack into O, lol.
Or could you?
Spoiler[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aAxOavW_afQ[/media]
In that video, you can see the "test malware" injected code into the main O process, effectively "hacking" into it.
Maybe you could do something like this if you really wanted to hack into O.
Not that you should, of course.

That was running O2.1. Telekinesis, which was an experiment to try to add customization to the shell, was built for O2.2 which has a filesystem lock. I got so fed up with trying to make it stable and work right though, that I have scrapped it. I am just going to work on OTOS more.
cyanisaac #115
Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:50 PM
OpenTerminalOS Snapshot 5 [S5] has been released. There really aren't that many changes, mostly aestethic and some bugs have been fixed. S6 will be much better and will be focusing on bringing a lot more content to OTOS. I may even add that new update system.
cyanisaac #116
Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:04 PM
I have removed the GitHub repository because there are issues with getting it to work between my devices. Once I have all my devices on official GitHub app supported platforms I will create a new repository and actually use it.
FUNCTION MAN! #117
Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:25 AM
I have removed the GitHub repository because there are issues with getting it to work between my devices. Once I have all my devices on official GitHub app supported platforms I will create a new repository and actually use it.

Which "platforms" do you use?
biggest yikes #118
Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:36 AM
That was running O2.1. Telekinesis, which was an experiment to try to add customization to the shell, was built for O2.2 which has a filesystem lock.
so no more OS hijacking? :(/>
cyanisaac #119
Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:00 AM
That was running O2.1. Telekinesis, which was an experiment to try to add customization to the shell, was built for O2.2 which has a filesystem lock.

Nope, O is locked and secure, any workarounds will be reported and patched.

Which "platforms" do you use?

Between Windows 10 and Linux Mint. I like the official GitHub app though and they don't have it for Linux.
ProjectB #120
Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:05 AM
I am looking into getting an API for programs to hook into, I don't want O to be easily infected, but want to allow for modding. And if I can do it securely I will add rooting to O.
biggest yikes #121
Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:39 AM
I am looking into getting an API for programs to hook into, I don't want O to be easily infected, but want to allow for modding. And if I can do it securely I will add rooting to O.
hmm just seems like just a way to dig the gaping (security) hole you just closed up
Edited on 18 July 2015 - 12:40 AM
cyanisaac #122
Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:37 AM
Just a status update, I am working on S6 as we speak. This update is going to take a while so be patient :)/>.

I would again like to remind everyone that you should never ever use dev builds ever because I live develop using them and that means stuff breaks constantly. I will eventually include some sort of super early access testing stream but for now please just use the snapshot stream.

EDIT: I would also like to announce that from the S6 installer forward I will be minifying code before I package it up, so as to take the least amount of space on your ComputerCraft computer. I may release S5P1 with minified programs so as to improve your experience a bit early. The dev builds and early access builds will not be minified. Well, the super early access builds. :P/>
Edited on 19 July 2015 - 10:40 PM
cyanisaac #123
Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:07 AM
There are several major things that I am going to be working into OpenTerminalOS that have been long overdue.

1) Proper application theme exiting
Currently if a program does not support OpenTerminalOS it will not exit properly into the shell. This is fairly bad. I will be working on making OTOS smarter about when it exits an application and try to figure out what it has to do to look good when exiting a program. For instance, setting colors and clearing all the lines below an application.

2) Flight Panel stuff
The Flight Panel is a very interesting thing as there's a lot I can do with it. I was thinking a search bar and a test for some experimental UIs but I think it may become a virtual assistant. No idea at this point.

3) Minification of OS code
OpenTerminalOS takes an insane amount of space for what it does. It of course needs to be lowered. There are instances of me copying full programs for the sole sake of giving them a proper exit - once I get dynamic exits going they can go to the chopping block.

4) Startup file security
OTOS's startup file must be secured. Nothing else matters, but it is the ONE file that can restore OTOS. If that gets deleted it can be a problem for users, so I need to get that secure.

5) Metadata
I think OTOS should implement a metadata system. I think it will prove useful for setting code up for applications and more stuff. Likely this will be a fully internal thing.

6) Proper Installer with Branches
OTOS's snapshots are good but I do want a way to push out even more unstable but neat updates to the public. So I will be working on an update system with branches. Stay tuned.

Anyways just some ramblings about stuffs I need to get done.
H4X0RZ #124
Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:36 PM
I tried to test it, but it doesn't use my full screen, so I can't really use it :/ Could you maybe make it support "special" resolutions?

This is what I mean:
biggest yikes #125
Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:41 PM
Could you maybe make it support "special" resolutions?
There are no OSes that support "special resolutions", they're written for the standard resolution..
ProjectB #126
Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:48 PM
There are no OSes that support "special resolutions", they're written for the standard resolution..
I think he means scalable, not a fixed size.
Lyqyd #127
Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

Um, what? That's not even close to true. Well-written software should take full advantage of whatever screen size it's given.
biggest yikes #128
Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:01 PM
Um, what? That's not even close to true. Well-written software should take full advantage of whatever screen size it's given.
In ComputerCraft? I've never heard of a ComputerCraft OS that was written to be compatible with bigger screen sizes than the default.
Then again, there is monitors..
Edited on 26 July 2015 - 08:01 PM
H4X0RZ #129
Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:07 PM
In ComputerCraft? I've never heard of a ComputerCraft OS that was written to be compatible with bigger screen sizes than the default. Then again, there is monitors..

Lyqyd is right. You can use term.getSize() and relative positions to use the full screen for example. Nova and O both are doing a great job at this :P/>

I used an emulator to achieve this screen size, but It is still good to use the full screen, because you can change the size in vanilla CC too.
cyanisaac #130
Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:17 PM
To answer your questions about the scalability: it's because OTOS's code sucks.

Yes I will try to make it so it eventually is scalable but for now that is not a priority in development. Right now I am trying to make the best darn OS I can, and I am implementing features and other stuff. Please give it time.
oeed #131
Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:17 PM
In ComputerCraft? I've never heard of a ComputerCraft OS that was written to be compatible with bigger screen sizes than the default.
Then again, there is monitors..

OneOS has always supported larger screens, in fact it's better when it is.
biggest yikes #132
Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:28 PM
Oh, right, term.getSize().
Lyqyd #133
Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:16 AM
To further pile on to the examples above, LyqydOS will also take full advantage of a larger screen, if given one.
cyanisaac #134
Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:37 AM
Ok I understand, dynamic sizes.
cyanisaac #135
Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:53 AM
EDIT: OTOS has been discontinued permanently and I am going to backup the files from my pastebin.

Here's the backup: http://s000.tinyuplo...415180949424391
it's for the dev version. ignore my misc other stuff in there.

if you want the stable version you can use the cc-otos-nightly packaged version, recovery mode won't work though.

Now that that's done I am removing the files from my dev pastebin.

Thanks for all the support.
Edited on 27 July 2015 - 04:06 AM
Cloud Ninja #136
Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:27 AM
Cyanisaac has given me permission to take the code from OTOS and keep it updated and stable, so i will be doing so. Ill be making a new thread on it within the next few days, check the forums for updates.
cyanisaac #137
Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:32 AM
if anyone else wants the code as well please take it. please. just dont call it OTOS.

I didn't give CloudNinja exclusive permission over it but I do expect that he will do a good job of upkeeping it.
biggest yikes #138
Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:05 PM
So what are you going to make as your main project now?
Cloud Ninja #139
Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:34 PM
I have created OTOSF: OTOS Forever
cyanisaac #140
Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:28 PM
Would anyone be interested in me patching this OS minimally to get it functioning, and then releasing it as actually open source so people can make changes to it and stuff? It would belong since my new projects are no longer open source.

Note I would be building off of S5, as opposed to S6, because S6 was buggy and had a lot of issues.

And this is separate from OTOS:F. OTOS:F is a fork, running S6 which was never and will never be released in that state on this main version.
Edited on 02 October 2015 - 09:02 PM
Cloud Ninja #141
Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:52 PM
Would anyone be interested in me patching this OS minimally to get it functioning, and then releasing it as actually open source so people can make changes to it and stuff? It would belong since my new projects are no longer open source.

Note I would be building off of S5, as opposed to S6, because S6 was buggy and had a lot of issues.

And this is separate from OTOS:F. As I said, "I didn't give CloudNinja exclusive permission over it but I do expect that he will do a good job of upkeeping it" I absolutely expected more from OTOS:F as I thought it would be bugfree, updated, and built off of a working branch. However, since OTOS:F is as unstable as it is, I am planning on making OpenTerminalOS better. So if this gets brought back consider OTOS:F a fork from here on out.
I never promised anything with OTOS:F. I promised to bring it back to how you had it for the most part. And i did. Im also working on an update for it, i have yet to say anything. Ive gotten a working load method, discontinuing the way you were doing it. Ive patched the boot so it no longer requires keying into it.

"I absolutely expected more from OTOS:F as I thought it would be bugfree, updated, and built off of a working branch." Why? I never said it would be bugfree, i never said i would keep it updated, and i never said i would build off of a specific branch. Technically the branch itself worked, but because you dropped all of your APIS into a trench, it broke the branch. It wouldve required me to rewrite them (or ask you for more stuff)
cyanisaac #142
Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

And this is separate from OTOS:F. As I said, "I didn't give CloudNinja exclusive permission over it but I do expect that he will do a good job of upkeeping it" I absolutely expected more from OTOS:F as I thought it would be bugfree, updated, and built off of a working branch. However, since OTOS:F is as unstable as it is, I am planning on making OpenTerminalOS better. So if this gets brought back consider OTOS:F a fork from here on out.
I never promised anything with OTOS:F. I promised to bring it back to how you had it for the most part. And i did. Im also working on an update for it, i have yet to say anything. Ive gotten a working load method, discontinuing the way you were doing it. Ive patched the boot so it no longer requires keying into it.

"I absolutely expected more from OTOS:F as I thought it would be bugfree, updated, and built off of a working branch." Why? I never said it would be bugfree, i never said i would keep it updated, and i never said i would build off of a specific branch. Technically the branch itself worked, but because you dropped all of your APIS into a trench, it broke the branch. It wouldve required me to rewrite them (or ask you for more stuff)

Okay, maybe my edit was a bit uncalled for. I'll revise it when I get to the computer. I have not been in a good mood lately lol. Never am xD

The point still remains that OTOS:F is a fork and not an official continuation if I update it.
Cloud Ninja #143
Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:22 PM

Okay, maybe my edit was a bit uncalled for. I'll revise it when I get to the computer. I have not been in a good mood lately lol. Never am xD

The point still remains that OTOS:F is a fork and not an official continuation if I update it.
Not to mention you also told me, projectb, and the entire forums "As of today, I am done with ComputerCraft for good. I am done going on Shinexus, done working on my projects, discontinuing everything that I have made. I am really unhappy with events happening rn. Sorry for everyone who was testing my projects, or using my projects. Goodbye." So its not like people were really worried about OTOS.Honestly? You're probably better off just continuing next.
cyanisaac #144
Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:12 PM
Right, but Next is not going to be open sourced and community changeable. The whole point of reviving this is so people have an open operating system. Next is not and will never be open source (other than the required showing unobsfucated code). It's like O - you won't be able to fork it or modify it. This would be revived to fill the void of that.
Cloud Ninja #145
Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:17 PM
Right, but Next is not going to be open sourced and community changeable. The whole point of reviving this is so people have an open operating system. Next is not and will never be open source (other than the required showing unobsfucated code). It's like O - you won't be able to fork it or modify it. This would be revived to fill the void of that.
I mean you could technically modify anything on the CC forums, you just cant post it. Its not illegal to modify code that comes out of here, its more or less encouraged because it expands coding levels. Not to mention, if someone likes a modification theyve done, they can request it. This post has been dead since july, it may be time to just drop this. Maybe make NextLite or something and make that the reincarnation of otos.
cyanisaac #146
Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:17 PM
I mean you could technically modify anything on the CC forums, you just cant post it. Its not illegal to modify code that comes out of here, its more or less encouraged because it expands coding levels. Not to mention, if someone likes a modification theyve done, they can request it. This post has been dead since july, it may be time to just drop this. Maybe make NextLite or something and make that the reincarnation of otos.

That's what I mean. Although Next would have stuff in the OS to prevent modification like O does.

And this would be revived in a way that would make it competent again. You would not be dealing with the incompetency that was OpenTerminalOS, rather a much cleaner base for the community to make modifications to.

I am going to work on making this competent, and then rerelease it under a different name. It will probably also use GitHub for distribution.

Thanks for the feedback in the poll, and otherwise.
Edited on 03 October 2015 - 09:23 PM
Creator #147
Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:37 AM
So you finally decided to continue the OS.
cyanisaac #148
Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:58 PM

Yes, although it is a low priority, and it will largely be the community continuing it - I am simply going to do the minimum necessary to get it working somewhat decently, then I am going to leave it to the community to make the shell-based OS they want.
Cloud Ninja #149
Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

Yes, although it is a low priority, and it will largely be the community continuing it - I am simply going to do the minimum necessary to get it working somewhat decently, then I am going to leave it to the community to make the shell-based OS they want.
If you're just trying to get it working, build off OTOS:F, it works but needs a bit more tinkering and im sure you could do it.
cyanisaac #150
Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

If you're just trying to get it working, build off OTOS:F, it works but needs a bit more tinkering and im sure you could do it.

Not going to build off of OTOS:F. S6 was buggy and the whole reason for that release was to add features that I am not planning on adding right now. Definetely going to work off of S5.
cyanisaac #151
Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:21 PM
I've had two operating systems made to date, one of which was made public (OpenTerminalOS / OTOS) and another which was made private and was discontinued (Next). These operating systems took radically different approaches. I want to know which kind of OS you guys would want to see in the future

Good experience vs Good Backend.

OpenTerminalOS focused on a good end-user experience. I really liked how I got it looking. It was colourful, looked good, just overall seemed to work pretty nicely. I also managed to collaborate with ProjectB, and he got some nice GUIs of sorts up and running. And overall, it provided a good experience.

The downside to OpenTerminalOS was that the internal code was nothing but rubbish. It used many hacks, and didn't use standards or APIs. It barely worked and if one thing went wrong the entire thing failed. There was also no modularity, instead of loading files and expecting them to provide APIs, it just sort of was written to support one thing.

TL;DR: OpenTerminalOS looked good but was bad internally.

Then, I started work on Next. Next focused on a fairly good backend system. It had a lot more stability, and had proper systems implemented where there would previously be a hack. It ran well and worked fairly well. It wasn't terrible.

The downside to Next was that there wasn't a fantastic end-user experience. It was incredibly similar to the default shell with minimal theming out of the box, and no features like a bottom or top bar. There were no real additions to the operating system.

TL;DR: Next provided a good stable system but didn't really add much to the user experience.

So my first question is, which is more important? A good backend that's solid, expandable, not hacky? Or a good user experience?

Filesystem Protection

OpenTerminalOS included no protection out of the box, for better or for worse.

Next included a filesystem protection that was rootless, similar to O. It had no way of requesting "root access" and all important tasks such as updating the operating system were kept in the irreplaceable bootloader. This meant that for all intensive purposes Next was secured.

My thoughts are now shifting to making there be a system where root permissions are denied entirely for certain files (core essential files), and then a sort of semiroot access can be achieved by making an API call (with the user authenticating). This would allow access to other files like the shell, that could be replaced (with it being implemented in a modular way), but still have it be secure (as the user would need to authenticate).

That leads me into my second question: Is filesystem protection a terrible idea, is it good to have it be partially accessible, or should it be rootless?

Open Source

None of my operating systems to date have been open sourced properly. OpenTerminalOS was going to be open-sourced when it hit R1 (Release v1), but it never made it past S5 before I killed it.

Next was not planned to be open-sourced.

How important is open-source to you guys? I will consider making something open-sourced if you guys want me to (most likely under MIT). Just let me know if this is something you'd want to see.
Admicos #152
Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:00 PM
Well, if i do something and it looks useful, i will open-source it.
This also helps me recover stuff if i format my pc (which happens quite often) (and now i'm regretting why didn't i put the blog thingie on my GitHub.) and allows other people to check your code and maybe help if they can. (At least I would try)

And about the OS question, i think OSs should be extendable and have something usable out of the box.

Look at AdmiOS, for instance. I created a system where you can change the entire desktop/login program, just by changing a line of code, useful? Probably not. Making stuff extendable is actually a thing i like and try to do every time i do something.

(Oh, and i also dynamically load APIs and run user startup programs, too!)
Edited on 12 January 2016 - 08:01 PM
Lyqyd #153
Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:58 PM
Threads merged.

Topics relating to ComputerCraft OSs are not permitted anywhere but the OS section. Posts in the OS section require code, so this was merged into your existing OS topic.
cyanisaac #154
Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:36 PM
Threads merged.

Topics relating to ComputerCraft OSs are not permitted anywhere but the OS section. Posts in the OS section require code, so this was merged into your existing OS topic.

That doesn't make sense. I was asking questions about what people would want to see, not trying to revive OTOS. That doesn't belong in the "operating systems" section of the forums where completed operating systems that people can use should go.

Seriously, this should not be moved here. I'm not talking about an existing operating system, this does not belong in this thread. This thread is about OpenTerminalOS, an OS I abandoned months ago. The thread I created in general was asking questions about a future operating-system project. I don't see why there was any issue having it be in its own thread. In fact now that's going to make OpenTerminalOS's thread go off topic, and it's going to make more people download OTOS potentially (since it's bumped) which I don't want happening.

Sorry for ranting here but your actions didn't make sense here… Unless I'm crazy.

EDIT: According to the Forum Guidelines, General is:

"Discussion/misc -> General"

Programs is:
Released Programs -> Program Library

As my topic was not a released program it does not belong in the programs section. The threads should not have been merged.
Edited on 12 January 2016 - 10:37 PM
FUNCTION MAN! #155
Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:59 PM
Good backend is to me more important than a gud UX, but that doesn't mean you should completely throw UX out the window.

If you are going to implement filesystem protection, make it like UNIX permissions/ACLs.

Open source is a key factor.
cyanisaac #156
Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:01 AM
Please nobody post in this thread. I don't want OTOS to get bumped, I am debating removing the pastebin so that this thread gets locked. I do not want more people using OTOS, it is terrible. I never meant to bump this thread.
Lyqyd #157
Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:57 AM
Threads merged.

That doesn't make sense. I was asking questions about what people would want to see, not trying to revive OTOS. That doesn't belong in the "operating systems" section of the forums where completed operating systems that people can use should go.

Seriously, this should not be moved here. I'm not talking about an existing operating system, this does not belong in this thread. This thread is about OpenTerminalOS, an OS I abandoned months ago. The thread I created in general was asking questions about a future operating-system project. I don't see why there was any issue having it be in its own thread. In fact now that's going to make OpenTerminalOS's thread go off topic, and it's going to make more people download OTOS potentially (since it's bumped) which I don't want happening.

Sorry for ranting here but your actions didn't make sense here… Unless I'm crazy.

EDIT: According to the Forum Guidelines, General is:

"Discussion/misc -> General"

Programs is:
Released Programs -> Program Library

As my topic was not a released program it does not belong in the programs section. The threads should not have been merged.

Yes, this thread does [url="http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/12299-read-me-why-this-board-now-exists-and-some-guidelines/]belong here[/url]. Please note that OS-related threads do not belong [i]anywhere else[/i], as I already explained when I merged the thread. If you want to have this totally unnecessary discussion at all, it needs to be in the form of asking for feedback as a follow-up to one of your previous OS projects.
cyanisaac #158
Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:39 AM
Threads merged.

-snip- TLDR it doesn't belong in this thread

Yes, this thread does belong here. Please note that OS-related threads do not belong anywhere else, as I already explained when I merged the thread. If you want to have this totally unnecessary discussion at all, it needs to be in the form of asking for feedback as a follow-up to one of your previous OS projects.

Well this post no longer has code, so it can be locked, and I will relocate my discussion of future OS-related projects off of the CC forums since it is not welcome here.