This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Sxw's profile picture

I'll host your server for free

Started by Sxw, 13 May 2015 - 11:47 PM
Sxw #1
Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:47 AM
As there seems to have been a lack of good CC servers recently, I'm offering, for the right person, to host one for free. You'll have complete control over the server and root access if you need to install anything like MySQL. I would be running it myself but turns out that I'm bad at managing a server. xD

Server specs: OpenVZ (On a dedicated server) with 4GB dedicated RAM (We can dedicate more if needed) and 2 CPU cores of an Intel Xeon L5630. Everything will be backed up on an hourly basis to Tarsnap and hard drive space will be allocated as needed.

I'd prefer if you posted your request on this thread with info about what you want to do with the server and maybe your past experience running/staffing servers. Community input is welcome.

I can assist you in installing Minecraft/Cauldron if needed, also.

Mods: Not sure where this should go or if it's allowed, so I put it in general.
Edited on 13 May 2015 - 11:50 PM
Cranium #2
Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:15 AM
This is pretty close to advertising your services, so I'm on the fence as to whether it would be considered spam. Perhaps another moderator/admin might have a differing opinion, but for now, I'll allow it so long as you're not trying to receive compensation for your services. If you'd like to do that kind of advertising, then I'd suggest talking to Dan200 to see if he's interested in setting up a banner advertisement.
Creator #3
Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:39 AM
If it is for free, there should be no problemo.
MindenCucc #4
Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:34 AM
Hi! It feels me bad to ask (because "free" means that I'm using another user's work, effort and money), but I have an idea.

We need to create a server with Cauldron, because plugins are easier for me to write, and I'm also familiar with them.

The server will have a few mods (less than 10), this contains CC of course, MFR, OpenC maybe, OpenB and OpenP, and a few others I forgot.
There'll be an option to install Optifine and/or fastcraft.

I don't know how you want, but I have an open-source custom launcher (if you ask, I'll upload it on GitHub), and that could automagically download/install/you_name_it the modpack.

Also, I'll make an Essentials-like plugin that could detect the country our user is in, and automatically set the appropriate/closest language to his/hers. Because understanding nothing is not fun. I'll make some translations (I think these will be German and Hungarian). Because of this, there'll be a chat plugin, that allows users from the same language to communicate with eachother without making other players confused not understanding the language (off by default, they'll need to do this manually, because separating players is not fair either).

I have more to write, but I'm going to school now.

//somehow offtopic: I was a server admin a long time ago, and I wrote the website and the launcher. If you need a website, I'll write it too.

Because of my "license aggreement" (sounds weird, right? :P/>) if I get offered by free service, I shall help the hoster (who offers the service) for absolutely completely free. It sounds weird, I know. But this is "just a game", a fun project, and nobody is having fun in a game that costs money
I'll help making the server (for free of course :D/>)

End note: Remember, I don't want to creep you out of the world, I just want to help to make the best server EVAH! :D/>

Edit: lol, I REALLY misunderstood your post. I tought that you need help to make a server :D/> But… I really need a server to be used as a message distributor for my Skype-alternative, but I'll still keep that in my mind, that you need help with YOUR server, so I won't use the server as it would be mine.

Also, another note (also offtopic): I hate that when people need help I can't always help them, and this makes me sad. I like helping in a non-physical "work", because I'm weak as an ant, but I have a good brain :P/>
Edited on 15 May 2015 - 06:56 AM
クデル #5
Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:09 AM
Kinda late, but when Krist can be spread upon various nodes, you should host a node.
Creator #6
Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:15 AM
That is actualy a good idea. How do cryptocurrecies work without a central bank?
Edited on 31 May 2015 - 07:16 AM
HydroNitrogen #7
Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:32 PM
Hey man! Nice service to offer, there are probably people interested.

But I am here to say that if you have got any trouble with creating a modded server,
you could also use my modpack. It includes a lot of computercraft mods and addons.

And I included an already set up server, so you don't have to install stuff yourself.

Here is the link: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/mega-computer-pack.668983

Have fun :)/>