This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
クデル's profile picture

Program Based Market

Started by クデル, 29 May 2015 - 11:17 AM
クデル #1
Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:17 PM
Just wanted to get a group/community opinion on something, a program oriented stock market ideally. This will have similar core functionality to a real market, however it well be focused on programs rather than companies and businesses. This an open discussion, deny and give ideas as you please
DannySMc #2
Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:44 PM
Just wanted to get a group/community opinion on something, a program oriented stock market ideally. This will have similar core functionality to a real market, however it well be focused on programs rather than companies and businesses. This an open discussion, deny and give ideas as you please

What do you mean? I have an App Store? Which houses more than 85 programs? Why would we use a stock market, we do not buy or sell programs…? That would be a completely useless idea..?
クデル #3
Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:51 PM
I was thinking that its less about money, but the actual worth or value that is placed upon a particular program.
DannySMc #4
Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:53 PM
I was thinking that its less about money, but the actual worth or value that is placed upon a particular program.

No I can't see this being useful, because that can be very condescending to other peoples programs and can cause many problems between community members, the forums is for allowing the community to use your program, not comparing it. It's not a competition, it is fun. Maybe if this was something more, but I don't see at all how this is "useful".
クデル #5
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:00 PM
As stated in the original post, just an idea. But I see your angle, some may find it hurtful or other things alike I suppose. Whilst brainstorming, I thought of it being a good system that can work alongside Krist.
DannySMc #6
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:03 PM
As stated in the original post, just an idea. But I see your angle, some may find it hurtful or other things alike I suppose. Whilst brainstorming, I thought of it being a good system that can work alongside Krist.

Err I am planning to add krist as an in App Store currency tbh :P/> I am not sure, I guess you could base it on money, if you want I could use my app store? But could you make me an API for it?:P/>

Err I am planning to add krist as an in App Store currency tbh :P/>/> I am not sure, I guess you could base it on money, if you want I could use my app store? But could you make me an API for it?:P/>/>

Not sure though, but will allow players to like get apps that aren't free, so have free apps and paid apps :P/> on my app store, guess it could be cool, then we could add a stocks page? If you want to make that I could add it into my system? and give you an API to get details of my server from all the apps?
Creator #7
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:08 PM
I wouldn't pay a cent for an app the same way I woulnd't charge anyone for my apps. And you most probably are gonna get in problems for trying to sell apps. I am talking to you Danny.
DannySMc #8
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:09 PM
I wouldn't pay a cent for an app the same way I woulnd't charge anyone for my apps. And you most probably are gonna get in problems for trying to sell apps. I am talking to you Danny.

Not selling them my friend, just an idea, never said I would just thought it would be cool. Chill your beans.
クデル #9
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:10 PM
I appreciate the offer, seeing as I quite enjoy your App Store. However, I would personally prefer to just setup/host a stock system that works around "objects" on my own server, then have you intergrate that into your App Store. That way the Stock API can be like your Social API, and a variety of applications can access to the same database so information can traverse through the community.
Bomb Bloke #10
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:11 PM
An in-game stock market script would be hard to pull off in any practical fashion, as anything you might use as a "currency" within MineCraft is subject to hyper-inflation. The popularity of mods that quickly boost players to "might as well be in creative mode"-status doesn't help matters.
Edited on 29 May 2015 - 12:11 PM
クデル #11
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

Not selling them my friend, just an idea, never said I would just thought it would be cool. Chill your beans.

Selling of programs could even be configurable, perhaps on servers that are more competeive and want people to pay for "pre-made" programs.
DannySMc #12
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:12 PM
I appreciate the offer, seeing as I quite enjoy your App Store. However, I would personally prefer to just setup/host a stock system that works around "objects" on my own server, then have you intergrate that into your App Store. That way the Stock API can be like your Social API, and a variety of applications can access to the same database so information can traverse through the community.

Well how about i set up a download system to log downloads? Then you can base stocks on downloads I guess?? Then you can use a cURL request to get data from my database about the apps? Then you can do all the stocks? and make the API which my app store will use?:)/>
クデル #13
An in-game stock market script would be hard to pull off in any practical fashion, as anything you might use as a "currency" within MineCraft is subject to hyper-inflation. The popularity of mods that quickly boost players to "might as well be in creative mode"-status doesn't help matters.

Overpowered mods don't help at all, but it may not be a problem if like Krist, it doesn't utilise any physical items like Diamonds, Coal and such.
DannySMc #14

Selling of programs could even be configurable, perhaps on servers that are more competeive and want people to pay for "pre-made" programs.

Yeah I thought make players allow to sell the app via krist or even have a donate button?:D/>
クデル #15
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

Well how about i set up a download system to log downloads? Then you can base stocks on downloads I guess?? Then you can use a cURL request to get data from my database about the apps? Then you can do all the stocks? and make the API which my app store will use? :)/>

Yeah I was considering the amount of downloads to help determine a programs worth, things like this would also need to be based on IP's and some other limitations to prevent inflation like Bomb Bloke mentioned.

Yeah I thought make players allow to sell the app via krist or even have a donate button? :D/>

Donations are always super helpful to program creators, and it gives them a bit of a confidence to continue developing it.
Edited on 29 May 2015 - 12:15 PM
DannySMc #16
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

Well how about i set up a download system to log downloads? Then you can base stocks on downloads I guess?? Then you can use a cURL request to get data from my database about the apps? Then you can do all the stocks? and make the API which my app store will use? :)/>/>

Yeah I was considering the amount of downloads to help determine a programs worth, things like this would also need to be based on IP's and some other limitations to prevent inflation like Bomb Bloke mentioned.

Yeah I can add that to the app store?:D/> So I can use it via one request via IP? so if the same IP exists then you can't give it another download if you get me?
クデル #17
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:16 PM
Just another thought too: perhaps we could even have program shares, this won't effect ownership or allow others to edit and such, but it will allow people to make a surplus of Krist just through trading shares.
DannySMc #18
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:16 PM
Yeah I guess :D/> Whatever just tell me what you need me to add to the app store:P
クデル #19
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

Well how about i set up a download system to log downloads? Then you can base stocks on downloads I guess?? Then you can use a cURL request to get data from my database about the apps? Then you can do all the stocks? and make the API which my app store will use? :)/>/>

Yeah I can add that to the app store? :D/> So I can use it via one request via IP? so if the same IP exists then you can't give it another download if you get me?

Yeah, or maybe just a limit like eight hours or something, if I like a program I will personally download it across several computers/worlds/servers.

Yeah I guess :D/> Whatever just tell me what you need me to add to the app store:P

Awesome, i'll get started on dev by tomorrow. :D/>
DannySMc #20
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:28 PM
- snip -

Yeah that's cool, set it like, that but tbf, will set it for a cool down I think of an hour, and well I guess. Yeah of course you will need to get data back to your server from mine so just tell me what you need back and I can just make a quick php script for you to use. :D/>
Bomb Bloke #21
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:28 PM
Donations are always super helpful to program creators, and it gives them a bit of a confidence to continue developing it.

That works both ways - once people start expecting money, they tend to lose interest rather quickly when they don't get it. And CC scripts aren't exactly going to rake it in.
Creator #22
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:32 PM
CC is a learning platform, not a I'll become a millioonaire one (that will never happen anyway). However it would be interesting to have rating platform. How much would a program be worth?
SquidDev #23
Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:39 PM
Not entirely relevant as you are not discussing actual money, but just pinging this recent comment by Dan in.
DannySMc #24
Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:04 PM
Not entirely relevant as you are not discussing actual money, but just pinging this recent comment by Dan in.

We did not say we was, we said we would use the downloads to base it off its stock value, please stop reading part of it and having a go. We are using the amount of downloads not money!

Edit: Just for you that will pick at things it was an idea. We won't be following it as if you see my first post, it was against the idea. Now I could see it would be a cool feature for the App Store. Please chill with the comments and seriously if you just want to moan don't post. We won't make players pay, because it is useless? and also the idea of using downloads is a cool way to make a nice chart on how used the apps are! :D/>
Edited on 29 May 2015 - 01:12 PM
Pyuu #25
Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

Maybe not so much of a stock market, but a ranking system that ranks the value of a program based on feedback from users. Perhaps 1-5 stars, etc. If I had a web-server I could probably demonstrate an example for you, but I don't.

If we're going to be using any "currency", I'd suggest using Krist for that kind of thing, in which users basically place Krist into a program that they think will be likely to increase. Based on values, certain programs take a bigger percentage of the general pool.

So for example:
FireWolf (Stock Value: 255 ₭, Stock Holders: 4,000, Total Value: 1,020,000 ₭)
PearOS (Stock Value 219 ₭, Stock Holders: 2,952, Total Value: 646,488 ₭)

Let's say, I invest in FireWolf, putting 255 ₭ into the pool, the web server keeps track of that. When I do that, the stock value now becomes 256 ₭. Then let's say, 300 more people invest in FireWolf and it increases by a good 20 more ₭. Now the value is 276 ₭, and when I withdraw, I get 276 ₭ and the stock value then goes down slightly.

However, that kind of system feels much more like gambling, and will likely look something like Black Tuesday (via Speculation of the market).

If there was a more lenient kind of system that doesn't use a currency, more like votes to kind of rank developers / programs / companies on a list and use that as sort of a bonus to listings on the AppStore (list those with the most points first); then it'd be more of a rewarding system, than a gambling system.

With usage of Krist on a centralized 3rd party server comes its risks, and I'm not entirely sure people would be willing to trust that if they value the currency in the first place, so honestly I'd disagree with the usage of a "Stock Market" of programs; Krist, as far as I know, already is in a centralized server where the owner can change SQL DB values and "steal" Kst, so it's risky enough as is.

However, if you do end up working on the Web end of things on some sort of system, feel free to contact me if you want me to make an in-game interface for it.
DannySMc #26
Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

Maybe not so much of a stock market, but a ranking system that ranks the value of a program based on feedback from users. Perhaps 1-5 stars, etc. If I had a web-server I could probably demonstrate an example for you, but I don't.

If we're going to be using any "currency", I'd suggest using Krist for that kind of thing, in which users basically place Krist into a program that they think will be likely to increase. Based on values, certain programs take a bigger percentage of the general pool.

So for example:

Let's say, I invest in FireWolf, putting 255 ₭ into the pool, the web server keeps track of that. When I do that, the stock value now becomes 256 ₭. Then let's say, 300 more people invest in FireWolf and it increases by a good 20 more ₭. Now the value is 276 ₭, and when I withdraw, I get 276 ₭ and the stock value then goes down slightly.

However, that kind of system feels much more like gambling, and will likely look something like Black Tuesday (via Speculation of the market).

If there was a more lenient kind of system that doesn't use a currency, more like votes to kind of rank developers / programs / companies on a list and use that as sort of a bonus to listings on the AppStore (list those with the most points first); then it'd be more of a rewarding system, than a gambling system.

With usage of Krist on a centralized 3rd party server comes its risks, and I'm not entirely sure people would be willing to trust that if they value the currency in the first place, so honestly I'd disagree with the usage of a "Stock Market" of programs; Krist, as far as I know, already is in a centralized server where the owner can change SQL DB values and "steal" Kst, so it's risky enough as is.

However, if you do end up working on the Web end of things on some sort of system, feel free to contact me if you want me to make an in-game interface for it.

As I do not think you quite got what I was saying above. We are NOT using a currency system, I have a comments system the next to add is a star rating system and downloads count, therefore the OP can get the data from my webserver and do what he needs then I can Amend the App Store with his stock idea to add something more to the App Store! Thanks for the offer to help but I'm capable of adding what I need as I have a nice drawing API and not sure what the OP is gonna use, ask him if he needs you're help.
Edited on 29 May 2015 - 01:43 PM
SquidDev #27
Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:57 PM
We did not say we was, we said we would use the downloads to base it off its stock value, please stop reading part of it and having a go. We are using the amount of downloads not money!

Edit: Just for you that will pick at things it was an idea. We won't be following it as if you see my first post, it was against the idea. Now I could see it would be a cool feature for the App Store. Please chill with the comments and seriously if you just want to moan don't post. We won't make players pay, because it is useless? and also the idea of using downloads is a cool way to make a nice chart on how used the apps are! :D/>

I apologise for sounding like I was groaning. I had read the entire thread carefully but it wasn't clear what you guys where intending. It wasn't meant to be shooting you guys down, just notifying you of what Dan had said on monetization of apps - though it is clear that I had misinterpreted your sentiments. Sorry for any harm caused. :(/> :mellow:/>

I do think a ranking system would be great. Though I'm not sure rewards based on good rankings would be.
Edited on 29 May 2015 - 02:02 PM
Creator #28
Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:00 PM
Well, anyway, a ranking system would be awesome, stocks would not.
DannySMc #29
Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

Edit: Just for you that will pick at things it was an idea. We won't be following it as if you see my first post, it was against the idea. Now I could see it would be a cool feature for the App Store. Please chill with the comments and seriously if you just want to moan don't post. We won't make players pay, because it is useless? and also the idea of using downloads is a cool way to make a nice chart on how used the apps are! :D/>/>

I apologise for sounding like I was groaning. I had read the entire thread carefully but it wasn't clear what you guys where intending. It wasn't meant to be shooting you guys down, just notifying you of what Dan had said on monetization of apps - though it is clear that I had misinterpreted your sentiments. Sorry for any harm caused. :(/>/> :mellow:/>/>

I do think a ranking system would be great. Though I'm not sure rewards based on good rankings would be.

Don't worry :P/> and yeah I don't know about rewards??? But yeah a star rating system would be cool, was an idea I wanted for a while :P/>
Creator #30
Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:09 PM
I think it is motivating to see that people like you app and appreciate the effort you put into it.
Edited on 29 May 2015 - 02:10 PM
DannySMc #31
Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:11 PM
I think it is motivating to see that people like you app and appreciate the effort you put into it.

Thank you tbf I love making things people will use and like:P it's why I'm on this forum :P/> but yeah wi add that this weekend :P/>
Creator #32
Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:21 PM
You seem to be very commited to this forum. You even manage to post more than I do. ;)/>
3d6 #33
Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

So for example:

While I technically could tamper with the records, I value the currency system more than my own stake in it. In order to remove the risk of trusting me I plan on decentralizing the system as soon as a digital signature algorithm is implemented in CC. Until that happens, a central server is required.

The server does not store passwords or password hashes, and the entire database is publicly available for download so that in the event of my corruption or disappearance someone else can create a "mirror" of Krist while preserving all transaction/mining/DNS history. :)/>
クデル #34
Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:07 AM
I really admire coss' way of thinking, if programs were to have worth in a market esque scenario, values would need to be relative to each other. Eg: If Program A gets more downloads than Program B in a 24 hour period, Program A's worth will increase whereas Program B's will decrease.
AgentE382 #35
Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

So for example:

While I technically could tamper with the records, I value the currency system more than my own stake in it. In order to remove the risk of trusting me I plan on decentralizing the system as soon as a digital signature algorithm is implemented in CC. Until that happens, a central server is required.

The server does not store passwords or password hashes, and the entire database is publicly available for download so that in the event of my corruption or disappearance someone else can create a "mirror" of Krist while preserving all transaction/mining/DNS history. :)/>/>
What algorithm were you thinking of using? Crypto's my thing. I've written a bunch of useless bits-and-pieces, so I'd love to publish a useful implementation of something.
DannySMc #36
Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

So for example:

The server does not store passwords or password hashes, and the entire database is publicly available for download so that in the event of my corruption or disappearance someone else can create a "mirror" of Krist while preserving all transaction/mining/DNS history. :)/>/>
What algorithm were you thinking of using? Crypto's my thing. I've written a bunch of useless bits-and-pieces, so I'd love to publish a useful implementation of something.

We aren't using payments.
Creator #37
Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:42 PM
We are using rankings. The algorith could be:

avgRankingPerUser*downloads
OR
downloads
DannySMc #38
Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:09 PM
We are using rankings. The algorith could be:

avgRankingPerUser*downloads
OR
downloads

Yeah well just ask the OP, and we can decide :P/>
Creator #39
Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:23 PM
Well, I thought you wanted this system too.
DannySMc #40
Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:38 PM
Well, I thought you wanted this system too.

I do, but I am waiting for him, as he is making the system on his server, all I will be doing is giving him my apps list so he can get the downloads etc etc.
Creator #41
Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:52 PM
Oh, I understand.
クデル #42
Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:45 AM
I am considering having this as a stand a lone application, don't get me wrong your App Store is great, but I think a lot of people might dislike an open market.
Creator #43
Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:15 AM
Lol, he is already doind this.