This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Sharidan's profile picture

[1.7.10][cc1.73] Wired cables can't go past 256 blocks.

Started by Sharidan, 30 May 2015 - 08:25 AM
Sharidan #1
Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:25 AM
The wiki describes this advantage for the wired cable networks:
"Reliability: Networks created using networking cable are more reliable than wireless networks because Wireless Modems have their range drastically reduced during thunderstorms. Networks using networking cables will work as long their cables and endpoints are within loaded chunks."

Either the documentation for network cable connections on the wiki is incorrect, falsly advertised or the mod is bugged in imposing a limit of 256 blocks which is not mentioned anywhere. (Yes, I am pushing the limits to find them)

To reproduce:
For easier reproduction, I recomend running RailCraft alongside ComputerCraft and use an admin anchor linked with Anchor Sentinels, which will allow you to chunkload in a straight line, 9 chunks at a time.
Test scenario consists of 27 chunks loaded in a straight line (3 pairs of Admin Chunkloader & Anchor Sentinels linked - use Trackman's Goggles set to "Anchor" to view the loaded chunks), ensuring that both ends are out of your view distance, when the view distance is set to 10 chunks.
Plot down a computer (doesnt matter if it's the normal or advanced), hook up a cable modem and start pulling a cable along the loaded chunks. I did so in a straight line. Then plot down a monitor or advanced monitor at the opposite end of where the computer is, hook a cable modem on any side, connect the networking cable and make sure the modems are enabled in both ends.
Fetch this test program that shows the current minecraft time:
http://pastebin.com/hRL4BMqq
Run the program and go check the monitor. If you did like I did, load up 27 chunks in a straight line, with a straigt line networking cable I guarantee you that the monitor will be blank. Count up 255-256 blocks away from the computer and plot down another monitor with a modem and enable the modem. Magically that second monitor will start showing the current minecraft time.

Posting that the only requirement is that the chunks are loaded is incorrect. Either the wiki should be corrected to properly inform people of the 256 block maximum or the CC cable networking code should be corrected to remove or extend the search limit of the cable length. (I did this test setup as part of a large RailCraft rail network setup, for passing status and station information back and forth between different stations along the railway lines)

Before you start punching me full of alternative solutions like plotting down relay computers on long distance networks, I already know how to get past this current limitation - in several different ways. I'm not a noob, so please don't assume I am. Using relay computers to relay messages further on works, but this work-around really stinks over longer distances as it at the least requires additional multiple instances of the relay software to run which decreases the performance of the server running too many scripts. For now I'm forced to use relay computers over longer distances, until CC is fixed or the wiki is updated to properly reflect the realities.
If the wiki is updated, the maximum distance of cabled networks is stamped in rubber as the upper limit - that at least would clarify that there is a limit. If the code handling cable network distances is fixed (2000+ blocks would be nice), I shall clap my hands in joy and pledge a donation above 5$ plus purchase at least two items off the shapeways.com site. Perhaps an incentive like this might push you to look into this Dan.
Edited on 30 May 2015 - 08:31 AM
wieselkatze #2
Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:05 AM
This definitely is not a bug. You can read about the networking cable distance limitation in several posts - that doesn't mean that you'd have to search for them, but more that the wiki page needs to be updated, indeed.
Still, this post could have been written in a friendlier manner - this just sounds like you only want to complain about things not working the way you'd like them to work.

Still, if you are in singleplayer and have access to the configuration files, you are able to increase the limit for wireless modems and just use those at your different stations - no relay computers at all.

#EDIT:
I just found a wiki article about the rednet API
For wired networks, range between devices is 256 blocks of network cable (unconfigurable). Either method of communication works regardless as to whether the intervening chunks are loaded or not.
Edited on 30 May 2015 - 09:07 AM
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:08 AM
It was mentioned, just… not where anyone would be expected to find it. I've just zipped through and tweaked the wiki to clarify matters somewhat. It's indeed an intentional limitation, to reduce the strain on the MC servers having to track the cable runs.

You could've done your test within a single chunk, by the way. The cable need not be straight to hit the segment limit.

For what it's worth, you can extend the range of wireless (not wired!) networks via CC's config. The MoarPeripherals mod alternatively offers a BitNet tower which has a a very long range by default (and a fair price tag to go with it).
Sharidan #4
Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:49 AM
Given how I've been treated in the past on this board, I still think I kept things fairly clean. I'm sorry if you feel offended - that was not my intent.
Thanks for updating the wiki with the proper information. I'm sure I'm not the only one that keeps running into badly kept wikis showing false information, if any. Part of this report was to get the proper information out, since CC is the most widely used and supported of the computer type mods out there.

Having to search this forum for such information is a royal pain to say the least. Staff has been saying for years that the forum will get updated soon™, yet it seems they follow the same soon™ standards as Mojang does, which leaves people stuck on a partly broken search "engine". I have long ago given up on that search "feature".

I must admit that I missed the distance refence on the rednet page on the wiki. My apologies.

My choice of doing the 27 chunk line, using chunkloaders like that was intentional. While it's true that I could have tested it in a single chunk, such a test setup wouldnt have provided me with a proper test on how well CC handles multiple cross chunk neighbouring. In that regard CC performed flawlessly and deserves another /respect.

While I am aware of the option to change the wireless max distance calculation through the configs, changing the config files will only work on either singleplayer or servers that I have full access to or control over, so that is not a viable solution for networked applications that can be used on any setup, simply by fetching from pastebin. Wireless connections can also very easily be intercepted by unintended computers placed down near the business area of the network - thus allowing malicious code / packets to be inserted on the network to make it break.

Likewise suggesting another mod to change the conditions of networking, is like the config change sadly also not a viable solution. I am aware of the MoarPeripherals mod and while it's a nice addition, far from all modpacks have it included. Sadly the same still holds true for Peripherals++. Nice additions, but not something that the network application can rely on being part of the pack, whereas other mods are more or less made standard additions to most packs these days.

A lot of modpacks these days, have CC and OpenMods in them, plus some form of chunk loaders - either ChickenChunks, RailCraft or other means of handling chunkloading.

Anyways. Thanks for your responses guys - they are appreciated! Also thanks for updating the wiki with the correct information. That too is greatly appreciated.
Bomb Bloke #5
Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:58 AM
… which leaves people stuck on a partly broken search "engine". I have long ago given up on that search "feature".

You may or may not already be aware, but adding "site:computercraft.info" to a standard websearch query will limit the results to this domain. I must admit I tend to stay away from the search features of any site, forum based or otherwise, in favour of getting Google to do it for me instead.

Now if only Google would do literal string searches… It's getting harder and harder to find a search engine that does. :(/>
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:22 PM
Now if only Google would do literal string searches…
Quote the string. Seen this? I've never had issues with it when the string is quoted, you can even use wildcards if you don't know part of the literal, "here's to the * ones". The power of Google is amazing and there really are ways to become a pro-Googler.
Bomb Bloke #7
Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:49 PM
Quote the string.

Seriously, dude? Google hasn't fully respected the contents of quotes for many years now - wouldn't've thought you'd've missed that!

Symbolhound is an example of a search engine that can do literal searches correctly. Eg:

Google search on "@google.com"
Symbolhound search on "@google.com"

The problem is that it feels like every time I wish to do such a search, whichever engine I last used for the task has either lost the feature or been shut down.