This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cyanisaac's profile picture

Diamond Computer / Super Advanced Computer

Started by cyanisaac, 20 June 2015 - 04:21 PM
cyanisaac #1
Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:21 PM
So I am aware that Dan200 is (most likely, based on his Twitter screenshots being shared) working on an even more powerful Computer to be put into Minecraft. So although this may already be in the process of being made I wanted to share my thoughts. And hey if it's not in ComputerCraft then I'd still love to share my thoughts on it.

1) Higher Resolution Display
Seems to already be done. But yeah this would be an insanely cool thing to have. It would allow for even more creativity in ComputerCraft creations.

2) More Color Choices
I believe the screenshots showed this as well, but again this would allow for more creativity and stuffs.

3) Sound
This was not showcased, and this is something I would like to see. All modern motherboards have an internal sound card in them. Adding a sound function to these new diamond computers would be awesome. I would love to have a chime sound go off when I boot my OS, for example.

Those are my main suggestions for it.

Here's how the Diamond Computer would be made:

% = redstone
# = glass pane
@ = diamond

@@@
@%@
@#@ <except more square shaped lel.

Anyways that's just my 2c about those screenshots, if they were to turn into an actual new feature in ComputerCraft :D/>
Creator #2
Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:52 PM
This suggestion actually makes sense. I like it, great!
Pyrif #3
Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:55 PM
This actually is a pretty good idea! :D/>
SpencerBeige #4
Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:30 PM
i don't really get it.

higher resolution: you said it yourself, its already coming.

more colours, again, you said it's already coming.

sound. downloading computercraft implies you can already mod minecraft, or you are in a modpack. the sound bloc, or whatever it's called from a mod, forgot the name of the mod also, but you can custom upload sounds. it seems like custom uploading sounds would also not even matter, because you would have to do that anyway, unless you want to play around with the huge 5 sounds that would probably come with cc
immibis #5
Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:14 AM
Fun fact: Both higher resolutions, and more colours, used to both be on the "Don't suggest these because we will never ever ever ever ever ever ever add them in all eternity" list.
MKlegoman357 #6
Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:21 AM
Well, it's still not a fact that the resolution thing is CC. We got our latest beta of CC and it doesn't include it.
Lupus590 #7
Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:20 AM
Well, it's still not a fact that the resolution thing is CC. We got our latest beta of CC and it doesn't include it.

True but look at all the hype it's causing. If I was dan200, I would leave the extra resolution out of the beta just to watch the hype, extra resolution is also something that will take longer to internal (alpha) test.
LDDestroier #8
Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:03 AM
As for sound, some sort of midi or NSF (the music format that NES games use) could work, albeit with limited instruments. Or note blocks, but those just don't sound computer-ey.
valithor #9
Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

True but look at all the hype it's causing. If I was dan200, I would leave the extra resolution out of the beta just to watch the hype, extra resolution is also something that will take longer to internal (alpha) test.

That really is not true. A few version ago (either 1.6.4 or pre 1.6) there was a config option to actually modify the resolution. If I remember correctly he removed this option due to a conflict with pocket computers or something (he may have just decided he didn't like it been too long since I heard), but either way it wouldn't really be that hard to readd considering he already did it once.
CrazedProgrammer #10
Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:36 AM
From what I've seen, the resolution will be 320x160 with 16 colors.
HPWebcamAble #11
Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:04 AM
From what I've seen, the resolution will be 320x160

This is a thing I need. For reasons.

Thats 51200 pixels!

For comparison, the largest monitor multi-block, with a text scale of 0.5, has only 7200 pixels…
Creeper9207 #12
Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:44 PM
funny enough, i had this EXACT same idea about 2 months ago! except mine was that you could set a custom resolution from the default to about six times the default
Creeper9207 #13
Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:50 PM
also, can someone give me the link to where this is being announced?
SquidDev #14
Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:54 PM
also, can someone give me the link to where this is being announced?

There is a thread on the announcement here, though from what Dan has said, it almost certainly isn't for Minecraft.
Rougeminner #15
Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:54 AM
I wanted to make this as a add on for CC but i very quickly decided against it. didn't have the time to even sit down back then. it would be great if this was added by default
CherryPie #16
Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:11 AM
This is a really good idea i have thought of this exactly thing since the advanced computer came out :P/>
But it have been suggested a quite a lot of times already…
Terra1 #17
Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:37 PM
i totally agree with this idea but diamonds seem a bit too easy to get
iron and redstone and a bunch of gold in a giant multiblock mainframe would probably be better for balance and looking good
HPWebcamAble #18
Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:37 AM
i totally agree with this idea but diamonds seem a bit too easy to get
iron and redstone and a bunch of gold in a giant multiblock mainframe would probably be better for balance and looking good

That would be cool, but a little inconveinent space wise.

Also, that doens't really fit with the themes of CC, I doubt dan would implement that.

Of course, if the original idea does get implemented, you could always change the recipe with minetweaker to 7 diamond blocks or something.