This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cmdpwnd's profile picture

ccTCP - Real Networking

Started by cmdpwnd, 27 June 2015 - 06:20 PM
cmdpwnd #1
Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:20 PM
Looking for Developers for ccTCP

What is ccTCP?

ccTCP is an open-governed organization with two repos: ccTCPf and ccTCPos

ccTCPf - Full featured framework implementing TCP/IPv4 over Ethernet as close to reality as possible.

ccTCPos - A Cisco inspired OS for managing networking devices built on top of ccTCPf.

Currently we are still working on ccTCPf and have a moderate amount completed, but we simply need MORE developers!!!

We are in need of at least three developers who preferably already have background knowledge in IP networkingl. I myself am a Cisco CCNAX (CCNA R&S 200-120) and have been passionate about completing this project in support of all the potential that an advanced and real world take on networking has. This would give people a way to explore networking from a perspective similar to that of the industry leading company, Cisco and since it is free and open source, its open to anyone and is in Minecraft which alone opens the door to endless possibilities.

You can view our current progress at : https://www.github.com/ccTCP

Available Roles:

1. ccTCPf Developer

–a. Ethernet
–b. TCP
–c. IP
–d. Route-Processor Engine
–e. Switching Engine
–f. Various overlaying L3 technologies ; Ex. Routing-Protocols / VRRP / IP Tunneling
–g. Various overlaying L2 technologies ; Ex. Spanning-Tree / VLANs / LLDP

2. ccTCPos Developer

3. Debugger / Tester

If you are interested in our project and would like to discuss it, head over to https://gitter.im/ccTCP/discussion

If you would like to become a contributor, head to https://gitter.im/ccTCP/contribute

Have a nice day.
Edited on 28 June 2015 - 03:14 AM
InDieTasten #2
Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:16 PM
Wow, you still didn't get Ethernet to work properly?? I would rejoin, but I guess the organization leader is just not the type of guy I want to work with, so sorry.
Creator #3
Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:32 PM
Who do you think the leader is?
InDieTasten #4
Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:43 PM
Who do you think the leader is?
cmdpwnd, the only one left for days commiting "new" stuff to the framework repo
cmdpwnd #5
Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:11 AM
There is no 'leader' its open governed. Enet prototyping is over, im pushing Ethernet.lua tommorow
lifewcody #6
Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:20 AM
Can I help out?
Creator #7
Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:35 AM
Can I help out?

Sure you can, just answer the questions in the OP and we will decide.
lifewcody #8
Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:44 AM
Can I help out?

I don't have a GitHub account, but I have a lot of experience in networking and have Cisco products for my business. I see a lot of potential in this, and it was something I tried to create and I think this would be a great solution to the CC community.
cmdpwnd #9
Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:14 AM
Can I help out?

I don't have a GitHub account, but I have a lot of experience in networking and have Cisco products for my business. I see a lot of potential in this, and it was something I tried to create and I think this would be a great solution to the CC community.

jubba890, I'm sure we could use you on our team, to join start by creating a github account and going to gitter.im/ccTCP/contribute
Edited on 28 June 2015 - 06:14 AM
クデル #10
Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:32 AM
I'm slightly confused, is this only implementing and utilising the TCP protocol for network tasks?
InDieTasten #11
Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:13 PM
I'm slightly confused, is this only implementing and utilising the TCP protocol for network tasks?
No, the main goal is to mimic real network topology to an extent, where it's still actually useful, while it's somewhat accurate but at the same time allows players to understand the mechanics behind it.
There are few people, who fully understand "networking" or the mechanics behind it. Thats what you see looking through the programs section of the forums. This project exists to put an example out there to show and educate people, how it's really working. Whether this project will be successful is hard to tell by now, as there are still tons of design questions, that haven't been discussed and may ruin it, but we'll see, I guess
Edited on 28 June 2015 - 10:14 AM
クデル #12
Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:32 PM
No, the main goal is to mimic real network topology to an extent, where it's still actually useful, while it's somewhat accurate but at the same time allows players to understand the mechanics behind it.
There are few people, who fully understand "networking" or the mechanics behind it. Thats what you see looking through the programs section of the forums. This project exists to put an example out there to show and educate people, how it's really working. Whether this project will be successful is hard to tell by now, as there are still tons of design questions, that haven't been discussed and may ruin it, but we'll see, I guess

Okay, thanks for clarifying :)/>