This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cyanisaac's profile picture

Reddit is going dark

Started by cyanisaac, 03 July 2015 - 04:08 AM
cyanisaac #1
Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:08 AM
This is the general thread so I figure I am allowed to talk about this here.

But yeah, tons of subreddits are going private in protest of Reddit's recent actions. Personally I feel this is quite sad, Reddit is probably not going to recover from this one.

What are your guys's thoughts?
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:09 AM
I'm not a "browser" of Reddit so much as an "occasional visitor"; but I did a web search or two to figure out what on earth you're on about. This article seems to sum it up fairly well.

Apparently one of their staff, Victoria Taylor, was fired. Reddit heads aren't saying why, and neither is she, but current speculation is that she disagreed with management over their "great new ideas" for the AMA section (of which she was a key member of managing). This happened with no notice, and so AMA was promptly closed by remaining moderators so they could scratch their heads and figure out what to do.

Then various other sections were also closed in protest. Apparently the head, Ellen Pao, has been making other "mistakes of management" recently, and people are getting sick of it.

Worst comes to worst? There'll be another Reddit - quite a few, likely, and people will all end up at the one that gets it "right". I don't really see any cause for concern.
PokeAcer #3
Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:05 PM
But the new reddit wont be as good. As mentioned in many of the posts, Victoria controlled AMAs, and was always up and ready to help people with AMAs.
However, without her, here's what happens when one person wants to do an AMA:
Spoiler
So, a lot of people decided to privatize themselves. Maybe Ellen will work out wtf is wrong and allow Victoria back, maybe not
cyanisaac #4
Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:45 PM
I am going to be switching off of Reddit ASAP. I don't like where it is headed, and reddit has been doing a lot of crappy things that really don't belong in a place of open discussion.
biggest yikes #5
Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:20 PM
Most of the subreddits that were private seem to now be online again.