This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
biggest yikes's profile picture

"You Havnt Posted Here"

Started by biggest yikes, 10 July 2015 - 02:04 PM
biggest yikes #1
Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:04 PM
Hovering over the water bucket next to a thread you haven't posted on will show the text "You Havnt Posted Here".

Shouldn't this be corrected to "You haven't posted here", like the one where you have posted?
HPWebcamAble #2
Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:12 AM
This does raise the question - Why a water bucket?
It seems a little random.

Why not use a computer with the 'off' texture for 'You haven't havnt posted here' and the 'on' texture for 'You posted in this topic'

Unless the water bucket/diamond thing symbolizes something that I apparently missed…
Cranium #3
Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:14 AM
A good portion of those pictures are just preset images provided by IP.Board, using a basic Minecraft theme. I would assume that we'd have the ability to change it, but I'm not sure how interested the admins would be in changing the assets.
Agent Silence #4
Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:32 AM
I believe the water bucket marks things that you haven't read and the bucket marks what you have read. The diamond marks what threads you have posted in. When there is new content in the thread, it will become a water bucket again.
Edited on 16 July 2015 - 04:33 AM
HPWebcamAble #5
Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:58 AM
I believe the water bucket marks things that you haven't read and the bucket marks what you have read. The diamond marks what threads you have posted in. When there is new content in the thread, it will become a water bucket again.

I remember when I first joined, they made absolutely no sense.

Now, I recognize them, but still - WHY a WATER BUCKET? What does that have to do with a forum?

The only one that makes sense to me is the Mine cart that shows when a thread has been moved.
Edited on 16 July 2015 - 05:01 AM
Agent Silence #6
Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:25 AM
Well, a scoop in journalism means new content. Think of the bucket of water as a scoop of content. The water symbolizes new content. When you read it, the scoop (of water) is gone considering it is no longer new content. Does that explain it?
Edited on 16 July 2015 - 06:27 AM
Cranium #7
Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:29 PM
That's a bit of a stretch, Agent Silence. Like I said before about it, it's just a basic Minecraft theme. It doesn't have to make perfect sense.
Bomb Bloke #8
Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:23 AM
… That's still pretty clever, though. I doubt it's what the guy who made the icons was thinking, but still.
biggest yikes #9
Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:55 PM
There are computercraft computers on the main forums page you could use instead of water buckets
Edited on 18 July 2015 - 06:55 PM
apemanzilla #10
Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:34 PM
There are computercraft computers on the main forums page you could use instead of water buckets

I actually quite like this idea. "On" image for computers (showing >_ onscreen) if there's new content, "off" image (blank screen) for ones you've read. Maybe also show a yellow border (like advanced computers) for threads you've posted in. This way it would match the style for the forum categories.
Edited on 28 July 2015 - 08:35 PM
HPWebcamAble #11
Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:41 AM
I actually quite like this idea. "On" image for computers (showing >_ onscreen) if there's new content, "off" image (blank screen) for ones you've read. Maybe also show a yellow border (like advanced computers) for threads you've posted in. This way it would match the style for the forum categories.

That would be awesome!

Please Lyqyd?
LuckyLuke #12
Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

That would be awesome!

Please Lyqyd?

I totally like it, but what about "sticky-threads"? :D/>
HPWebcamAble #13
Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:50 AM
I totally like it, but what about "sticky-threads"? :D/>

Well right now, they don't look any different, besides having the 'pinned' tag.
flaghacker #14
Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

That's a bit too small of a diffrence for me… Right now the diffrence is really obvious, blue vs red. A small ">_" would be a bit hard to see.
Lyqyd #15
Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:43 PM
I could have sworn I'd already replied to this.

The admin panel does not make these sorts of things easy/possible to do–the general idea is that one would have FTP access or similar to manipulate the theme files involved in these sorts of adjustments.
Cranium #16
Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:37 PM
I think the only way for us to do this sort of thing would be when/if Dan decides to upgrade/update the forum software. I can't imagine it's the latest version.
biggest yikes #17
Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:44 PM
Is it possible to fix the typo then?
HPWebcamAble #18
Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:43 PM
I can't imagine it's the latest version.

I heard its WAY behind like several years. Which I'd believe, it has a number of annoying problems.

Also, here are a few different kinds of topics for comparison:
http://imgur.com/gallery/wA3IS

Is it possible to fix the typo then?

Who said anything about a typo?
Edited on 29 July 2015 - 07:43 PM
Dog #19
Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:13 PM
Hovering over the water bucket next to a thread you haven't posted on will show the text "You Havnt Posted Here".

Shouldn't this be corrected to "You haven't posted here"…

Mentioned in passing in the OP, but not addressed specifically as 'a typo'
Edited on 29 July 2015 - 08:16 PM
biggest yikes #20
Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:39 PM
The original post and the title -_-/>
Edited on 29 July 2015 - 09:41 PM
HPWebcamAble #21
Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:17 AM
The original post and the title -_-/>

Mentioned in passing in the OP, but not addressed specifically as 'a typo'

… Ignore me

We got so off topic I completely forgot about the original issue :D/>
Edited on 29 July 2015 - 11:17 PM
Pyuu #22
Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

It really is worth the time.
Let me explain how to spell "Havnt." If you're meaning "Have Not", it translates to "Haven't". The reason for this is that we're only removing the o in Not and connecting the two words together. The missing letter now has an apostrophe in its absence. So, if "Havnt" was a real thing, it'd be "Hav'n't." You see what I'm saying?

If you want to practice this concept yourself, please, download the PDF attached and fill out the worksheet, then forward it to my email ( pyuu@outlook.com ) If you get it all right, you'll get a golden star :^)

Or, if you're paranoid about attached PDFs, you can view the file Here: http://www.k12reader.com/worksheet/apostrophe-practice/view/
Creator #23
Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:19 PM
This problem has actually been discussed before. I don't know the topic anymore, but it was pretty similar.
Lyqyd #24
Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:02 AM
Threads merged.
HPWebcamAble #25
Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:24 PM
snip

I knew I wasn't the only one bothered by this!

If at all possible I would recommend updating the forum software. If it isn't, I guess I can live with the typo. Maybe.