This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cyanisaac's profile picture

Major ComputerCraft OSes: Choosing the right OS for you!

Started by cyanisaac, 11 July 2015 - 11:29 PM
cyanisaac #1
Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:29 AM
So I figure I would make a post about ComputerCraft OSes for those who are looking to enhance their experience. This is a post detailing larger current ComputerCraft OSes. If you feel I am missing any of them, please let me know and I will update this post.

CraftOS is great, but you're sick and tired of it. You want a different and better way to use your computer. Well, here's a post to help you figure out which OS you want to use.

Terminal-Based Operating Systems

These are lazy OSes that are similar to CraftOS in that they revolve around a shell, however, they augment the shell with added functionality. This does not include GUI based OSes that have a terminal as an option.

O - O, developed by ProjectB, is an operating system that has also grown in popularity due to its simplicity. It behaves even more similarly to CraftOS, however it has some very refined functionality with regards to its UI. It introduces line highlighting (which OpenTerminalOS shamelessly copied from) and the home button (which OpenTerminalOS also shamelessly copied from). Overall, it is a good choice if you want the most minimal upgrade from CraftOS possible. It also works with pocket computers.
SpoilerPros
  • Developer is active on the forums.
  • Good for people that love CraftOS.
  • Simple and close to the shell.
  • Rock solid betas and stable releases. (alphas not so much, but they are alphas.)
Cons
  • VERY CLOSE TO THE STANDARD SHELL.
  • Offers up no additional programs.
  • Filesystem protection, and they will attempt to ban you if you post a fix or even discuss a fix.
Do I recommend it? I do recommend O as a terminal-based operating system. It works pretty damn well and has rock solid features. However the filesystem protection is here to stay - forcefully - and that isn't a good thing for everyone.

GUI-Based Operating Systems

These are OSes that implement their own GUI, which some people may prefer to the terminal. However these can tend to be a bit more complex and hard to get around.

Please note that I am not listing OneOS or Nova Horizon as these OSes have been discontinued for their next-generation GUI framework that doesn't even work with current CC, lol.

LyqydOS - LyqydOS, developed by Lyqyd, is a really simple operating system that adds in windows that can run programs and multitask them. It is a very clean and simple OS that, while feeling more like a wrapper or a tool to run stuff in windows than a fully fledged OS, is still damn good and definitely is a great OS.
SpoilerPros
  • Rock Solid Stable.
  • Windows are super easy to drag around, move, manage etc.
  • The OS itself runs at a super high performance, it is really unbelievable.
Cons
  • Community/Forum Post seems inactive.
  • Package manager is not GUI based, which would make sense for a GUI-based OS.
  • Not a lot of built in programs as far as I can tell.
Do I recommend it? If you are looking for the cleanest and fastest way to run programs within windows, LyqydOS is for you. Otherwise, you may want to look at some other operating systems that will offer up even more functionality.

THIS POST WILL BE UPDATED CONTINUOUSLY WITH NEW OSes, BETTER INFORMATION, ETC.
Edited on 27 July 2015 - 04:15 AM
oeed #2
Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:29 AM
Nice idea, we'll see how the mods take to it.

Understandable not linking to OneOS and Nova. I can't even use OneOS now it's just so bad :P/>

May I also recommend Craftbang?
SquidDev #3
Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:57 PM
If we're going to talk about shells: ClamShell isn't an OS, but is a pretty good shell. It even has 1.74's autocomplete and personally I feel it is more useful than a fully blown OS. (I'll be honest, I am a major contributor to it, but I've been using it for 6 months now without issue).

I hadn't actually used OpenTerminal or O until this, they both seem pretty nice. +1.
Edited on 12 July 2015 - 02:31 PM
cyanisaac #4
Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:02 AM
Nice idea, we'll see how the mods take to it.

Understandable not linking to OneOS and Nova. I can't even use OneOS now it's just so bad :P/>

May I also recommend Craftbang?

CraftBang looks interesting. I will give it a go and most likely add it.

If we're going to talk about shells: ClamShell isn't an OS, but is a pretty good shell. It even has 1.74's autocomplete and personally I feel it is more useful than a fully blown OS. (I'll be honest, I am a major contributor to it, but I've been using it for 6 months now without issue).

I hadn't actually used OpenTerminal or O until this, they both seem pretty nice. +1.

Hmm, I would try ClamShell, but unfortunately the grin-get package manager does not work for me :(/>

EDIT: And if you want to try either OpenTerminalOS or O, please go with O. I am probably going to discontinue OTOS and either rewrite it or just mod O, because OTOS is really not written that well and I think I can make a whole lot better than it.
Edited on 13 July 2015 - 01:03 AM
SquidDev #5
Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:38 AM
-snip-
Hmm, I would try ClamShell, but unfortunately the grin-get package manager does not work for me :(/>
Hmmm, what issue do you get? I tested yesterday and it worked fine. Odd.
FUNCTION MAN! #6
Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:53 PM
I would suggest adding Chameleon to the terminal operating system sections. Please note it is unstable.
biggest yikes #7
Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:21 PM
Nice idea. Seems like it could have some potential.

Please note that I am not listing OneOS or Nova Horizon as these OSes have been discontinued for their next-generation GUI framework that doesn't even work with current CC, lol.

I am probably going to discontinue OTOS

EDIT: Since you said OTOS isn't going to be discontinued on the main post, that point is obsolete.
Edited on 15 July 2015 - 07:39 PM
cyanisaac #8
Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:47 PM
-snip-
Hmmm, what issue do you get? I tested yesterday and it worked fine. Odd.

Hehe I wasn't following the instructions fully, I am going to try it again. I will add ClamShell to the list if I find it good :)/> and OS like enough
biggest yikes #9
Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:04 PM
-snip-
Hehe I wasn't following the instructions fully, I am going to try it again. I will add ClamShell to the list if I find it good :)/> and OS like enough
make sure you added

shell.run("grin/bin/grin-startup.lua")
to the startup file.
Once you download ClamShell, add

shell.run("grin/packages/Team-CC-Corp/ClamShell/1.2.1/bin/clam.lua")
to the startup file.
Edited on 20 July 2015 - 04:04 PM
cyanisaac #10
Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:13 AM
Removed OpenTerminalOS as it has been abandoned by its developer.

I still need to get around to adding ClamShell, potentially CraftBang.