This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Exerro's profile picture

[MoarPeripherals Chatbox minigame] Chatventure

Started by Exerro, 16 July 2015 - 04:42 PM
Exerro #1
Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:42 PM
Overview
Chatventure allows you to play the inbuilt adventure program using the minecraft chat, as well as allowing multiple people to play at once from anywhere in the world, and private games for when you don't want people messing with you.

Tada!

Basically, it uses some fancy hacking to make read() and write() calls go through the chatbox, so you can play it exactly like you would normally. Anyway, enough with that… how do you use it?

Firstly, download using 'pastebin get H7Z0JBYg chatventure', then run the program. There are some config options, but more on that later.

You can type '##adventure help' to find out how to use it. It will tell you the following:
  • ##adventure global - play globally
  • ##adventure private - play privately
  • ##adventure say (message) - say a message
  • alternatively, you can use '@ (message)'
You can type '##adventure private' to start playing privately (only you), and then all '@' and '##adventure say' messages will be run in your private game instead of globally (and their response just goes to you). This is recommended due to limitations with the number of times chatbox.say() can be called per second, which may cause crashes… idk yet (yeah, it happened once when we were spamming, eugh, not sure if it's fixable).

To get back to the global game, use '##adventure global', but be warned, this does delete your current private game.

If you want what you say to not be seen in the chat, use '##adventure say' instead of '@'.

There are also some config variables at the top of the file.
  • gamepath - the path of the game, who knows why you'd want to change this
  • side - the side of the chatbox, use 'auto' to automatically detect the side (this is the default)
  • prefix - the prefix to chat messages, default is '@'
  • range - the range of the chatbox, default is -1 (infinite)
Have fun playing!
Edited on 17 July 2015 - 12:06 AM
ry00000 #2
Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:01 AM
This seems awesome!
Shame I'm not currently on my powerful enough PC…
TheOddByte #3
Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:03 PM
Just wanted to report that this errors when pretty much doing anything, like "##adventure help" or "##adventure private" or any other command.
You've probably noticed it yourself that the error "too many messages" occur, but there's an easy fix for this, all you need to do is to edit the config a little

You see what I've highlighted? Change that from 1 to 10 or something, this should fix the problem with the program crashing due to too many messages being sent.
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:36 AM
Very nice! I'm glad to see people using the ChatBox for some awesome things :)/>