This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Cloud Ninja's profile picture

OTOSF: OTOS Forever WITH FUNCTIONS OF STEEL

Started by Cloud Ninja, 27 July 2015 - 06:24 PM
Cloud Ninja #1
Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:24 PM
With the recent discontinuation, I'm making this OS thread in order to keep OTOS alive for people to download

I will keep it 'open source' like, meaning if anyone wants to look at the code and send me a modified file, go for it, ill test it

and add it to the main code.

The installer below uses Creator's Compress program to compress entire folders down to single file archives essentially

To install OTOS:F, run this command in its entirety:

pastebin run JTmFkBtF /

NOTE : Currently the installer is not 100% as it was not working code. To boot, youll have to press 'R' while booting or it will error. I will be fixing this but until then, sorry.

Another note: The first time you type the cursor is NOT anywhere near the correct point, but since im doing some hacky stuff to get the OS to work in the first place, itll have to be like that for a bit. I understand that it isnt a GOOD way of doing it, but it works.
Edited on 05 August 2015 - 01:18 AM
ProjectB #2
Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:28 PM
Sweet! Glad someone is continuing it! :)/>
Cloud Ninja #3
Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:12 AM
Installer in the works folks, trying to get it to do a full install of his OS that runs S6. It'll be on that for a while though, so dont be sure itll be regularly updated.
cyanisaac #4
Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:16 AM
It could also be called OpenTerminalOS, more people referred to it as OpenTerminal :P/> but whatever, can't wait to see what happens.
Cloud Ninja #5
Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:36 AM
It could also be called OpenTerminalOS, more people referred to it as OpenTerminal :P/> but whatever, can't wait to see what happens.
The name was sort of a Duke Nukem Forever spin-off.
cyanisaac #6
Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:32 AM

But you missed the tagline, functions of steel. Pls dont kill me for bad puns
Cloud Ninja #7
Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

Post edited
cyanisaac #8
Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

Post edited

Now, it is perfect.
Cloud Ninja #9
Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:16 AM
OTOS:F has an installer now. Check out the main post.
Creator #10
Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:42 PM
Thanks for using Compress!

It turns out it is very practical.

By the way, OTOSF errors on line 106 (startup): attempt to index
Cloud Ninja #11
Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:53 PM
Thanks for using Compress!

It turns out it is very practical.

By the way, OTOSF errors on line 106 (startup): attempt to index
Thats why in the main post i say press r while booting. It will fail to boot into recovery and instead boot into OTOS:F

But yea, compress is very nice for this because once im done editing files, i recompress, pastebin, and copy that pastebin over to the installer, so no codes have to change. Very good program, thanks Creator!
Creeper9207 #12
Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:09 PM
What Happened to OpenTerminal? Why did it suddenly stop working?
Cloud Ninja #13
Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:47 PM
What Happened to OpenTerminal? Why did it suddenly stop working?
Cyanisaac (the original creator) gave up on it and gave me permission to use the code and rebuild it. this is the most updated version of it so far.
cyanisaac #14
Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:31 PM
Hey CloudNinja, I'd highly recommend building off of OTOS S5 instead of S6, S6 has a lot of incompleteness and oddities… I also have no idea why you're having difficulty getting it to work, it should work fine as long as you give it its necessities.
Cloud Ninja #15
Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:46 PM
Hey CloudNinja, I'd highly recommend building off of OTOS S5 instead of S6, S6 has a lot of incompleteness and oddities… I also have no idea why you're having difficulty getting it to work, it should work fine as long as you give it its necessities.
I guess its an issue with S6, but when i tried to boot it normally, it would break because it was retrieving files, but if i make it so it doesnt retrieve it it breaks, so im working on (havnt dont any CC stuff in a bit) making it boot correctly without having to do the recov thing.
cyanisaac #16
Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:34 PM
I guess its an issue with S6, but when i tried to boot it normally, it would break because it was retrieving files, but if i make it so it doesnt retrieve it it breaks, so im working on (havnt dont any CC stuff in a bit) making it boot correctly without having to do the recov thing.

Build it off of S5 trust me. S6 was a really bad, half assed, terribly executed attempt at adding in security into the OS. The only other thing it added was some useless tips and additional options that were unimplemented. Ninja edit: and a package manager with no packages thats broken now

I would seriously recommend building OpenTerminalOS Forever off of OpenTerminalOS S5. S5 is basically feature complete as far as what people cared about in OpenTerminalOS. It even included a home button unless I am mistaken, so it is almost equivalent to O in featureset.

The only things you will get building off of S6 are headaches and bugs.
Edited on 30 August 2015 - 03:35 PM
Cloud Ninja #17
Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:11 PM
Im building off of what i was initially given by you, thats what it will stay.
cyanisaac #18
Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

That pastebin backup was meant to be there because it was an open project. However, I never actually thought that anyone would BUILD off of anything but the legacy installer.

Whatever, trying to build off of S6 is going to make OTOS:F really crappy. Just sayin.
Cloud Ninja #19
Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

That pastebin backup was meant to be there because it was an open project. However, I never actually thought that anyone would BUILD off of anything but the legacy installer.

Whatever, trying to build off of S6 is going to make OTOS:F really crappy. Just sayin.
Its not supposed to be a 100% working or functional build. The original OS itself wasnt either. Im leaving it as is and anyone who has any suggestions can make them.