This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Luca_S's profile picture

Lock disk drives

Started by Luca_S, 04 September 2015 - 01:47 PM
Luca_S #1
Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:47 PM
What about a function to lock disk drives(Using the peripheral) to prevent someone pulling it out. The lock should automaticlly end when the computer shuts down.
KingofGamesYami #2
Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:14 PM
Control+S = Unlocked Disk Drive = No protection whatsoever = Useless
Luca_S #3
Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:26 PM
I mean if you have a game running, and it needs to save data to a disk, it can lock it, to prevent you getting it out, the game keeps in RAM, but can't save anymore. That is why I want it, not for protecting disks.
Lupus590 #4
Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:45 PM
an event if fired when disks are removed/inserted, you could just pop up a warning saying that saving is now unavailable. or wait until they insert the disk again and then save. I think there is a way to uniquely identify disks.
Luca_S #5
Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:55 PM
IRL disk drives have that features too(at least most of them)
Lemmmy #6
Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:28 AM

Not true, most disk drives don't have a lock feature, unless you put a slice of bread inside them.

Edit: I have been informed that you can also lock a disk drive by putting a pencil inside of it.
Edited on 06 September 2015 - 11:28 PM
HPWebcamAble #7
Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:48 AM
I actually kinda like this idea.

What if you gave the function a password, like this:

drive.lock( "this is a password" )
And it could only be unlocked with the same password?
(Obviously there would have to be a command, or a file somewhere that you could modify to unlock one as an admin)
Lupus590 #8
Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:10 PM
(Obviously there would have to be a command, or a file somewhere that you could modify to unlock one as an admin)

or the (server) admin could use the actual server files, it's not like dan200 would implement encryption for CC. and a single admin password would be something everyone would have to change in the configs (everyone would know the default)
HPWebcamAble #9
Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:30 PM
or the (server) admin could use the actual server files

That's what I meant. Probably should have made that clearer.

The files could be somewhere in the 'computer' folder, in the world save.
Deleting a disk drive's file would unlock it, since the password would be in the file.
GreenByteSoftware #10
Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

Not true, most disk drives don't have a lock feature, unless you put a slice of bread inside them.

Edit: I have been informed that you can also lock a disk drive by putting a pencil inside of it.

So dan should add pencils into minecraft!